Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I tend to think I'm not a bad judge of potholes. I don't report every little dimple. So I was surprised that my report of potholes in Chesterfield Road N4 was not bad enough to meet the Council's "policy for Reactive Maintenance intervention levels".

Potholes in Chesterfield Gardens

Here are Council webpages with general pothole information and specific intervention levels. On carriageways it ranges from 50mm on principal roads to 60mm on unclassified roads. The exception is 25mm "where defects may be particularly hazardous to pedestrians/cyclists (such as pedestrian junctions and in or adjacent to kerbs and channels)" .

In future I'll try to bring my own measuring probes. In the meantime these potholes will be growing wider and deeper as vehicle wheels break up more road surface. So if you live nearby, please keep an eye open - and perhaps carry a tape measure - so you can re-report these before someone disappears down the hole.

Tags for Forum Posts: Haringey, hazards, intervention levels, potholes

Views: 692

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If temperatures again fall below freezing there'll be some new or larger potholes.

So people may be interested to read Maria McCarthy's article on Potholes in today's Guardian Money (9 March 2013). It includes her advice about claiming against a local Council. For example, she stresses the need for supporting evidence about an accident - e.g. witness statements if possible. Also suggesting using photos with the scale shown by a ruler, or inserting your hand or foot in the picture.

She writes that a claim against a local council is more likely to succeed "if you can show that "the offending pothole was previously reported to them but wasn't repaired promptly".  I'd guess that could potentially make other people's reports of the same pothole on FixMyStreet more useful.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service