Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

John Toner of the Indy reports on the high levels of abuse that one couple receive on a daily basis:

A gay couple have told of their constant struggle with homophobia in Haringey.

Teacher Siobhan Wesley and her partner, charity worker Patricia Macleod, say they are subjected to threatening sexual and homophobic abuse in public on an almost daily basis.

The pair live separately in the Green Lanes area of Haringey but spend a significant amount of time together as a couple in public.

This has exposed them to an escalating level of threatening sexual behaviour from people, predominantly men, and violent threats and abuse purely because they appear together in public as a gay couple.

Ms Wesley, 29, said: “All the time this happens, we’re just walking along the street and we get people yelling sexual insults at us, men shouting what they’d like us to do to them and people just screaming ‘lezzers’ at us.”

Recently the couple were saying goodbye at the end of Siobhan’s street when a man exposed himself to them and began to sexually insult them for no apparent reason.

Read more

I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that it is upsetting to read of this homophobic behaviour in the neighbourhood.

What should be done, as Ms Wesley suggests, to make local people aware that "queer people exist in this area, that it’s completely normal and that the comments they make are offensive and against the law."

UPDATED Sat 11th April

From GayHarrin website 

Report it!

POLICE
The local police station for Harringay can be reached on:
0208 345 1858
If you or someone else feels in immediate danger, do not hesitate to call 999. If there is no immediate risk, call 101.
You may report the incident as a hate incident or crime. 

ASB REPORTING LINE
If you have witnessed or experienced harassment, report it by calling the Anti-Social Behaviour Reporting Line:
020 8489 1000
If you are making the report on behalf of someone else, you'll need their consent, along with the following details:
  • Name
  • Address
  • Email address /telephone no.
  • Brief description of people involved, location and what was done or said.

GALOP ONLINE REPORT FORM
If you would rather remain anonymous, GALOP offers an anonymous hate crime reporting form that can be submitted online or by post. 
Your details will not be passed to the police unless you wish them to be.

Tags for Forum Posts: homophobia

Views: 9038

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK sorry for the misunderstanding.

To put my comments in context - I used to go to a Pentecostal church very conveniently across the road from my flat. The people were lovely - welcoming, caring and friendly. But gradually I became aware of the homophobic and phallocratic dogma and the intense prejudice against other sects/faiths so I moved on.

I still go to the occasional service there because I like and, in many ways, admire the people but I don't subscribe to their beliefs.

Es nada.

Much respect Pam.

For those who are planning on joining us this evening at Jam In A Jar to discuss next steps re. harassment - just to let you know, we're running five minutes late or so. Should be there by 7:10pm at the latest :)
Will there be a sign? Do you know where you will be sitting?
Great to meet you all tonight, sorry I had to shoot off at 8.30 to a prior engagement. I was so impressed by the turnout, and pleased to have the support of the two police officers. I look forward to hearing what was decided. I will send you that contact too, I just need to find his details.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service