Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I have again asked for some enforcement action by the council against HGVs using Wightman Road and the ladder roads.

I am pleased to say that I have just had an email from the Parking Infrastructure Manager to say that they will be carrying out some enforcement this week between 7am and 8.30am.

Lets hope it starts to send a message to the companies that they lorries belong to.

Tags for Forum Posts: 7.5t, hgv, traffic

Views: 8673

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They are accessing their site. They are allowed to do so via Wightman Rd and the top of Hampden Rd that leads up to Hornsey Station. The law is really very, very simple.

Re Jewson I don't understand why they need both sites. Why not amalgamate the two sites into one, over to the Tottenham Lane depot, the land area of which seems to be under utilized anyway (scroll down the map to see the Wightman Rd depot). They could then sell the Wightman Rd depot land for housing development. Both sites (Tottenham Lane / Wightman Rd) seem to do similar if not the same business anyway.

Maybe a good business case for Jewson & solve the Jewson HGV access issue in Harringay.

I have just been on the phone to Jewson's Harringay yard to complain about the driver that I saw this morning.  He was driving up Cavendish Road reading a magazine!!

I was only paying attention because I thought he was a bit close to the wall by the Passage (where a mum with 2 kids were standing).  Utterly infuriating, and just another on a long list of complaints that show how little regard they have for area in which they work.

Karen, please could you clarify where you have got to regarding the enforcement of the weight limit? I would love to hear what the council are currently doing about it in your opinion.

The current situation is that I am continuing to ask the council to carry out enforcement.  There are from time to time using the little camera car and they have stopped a lot of HGVs but the frustrating thing is that often they have "access" on their side.

The council are building a business case for a static camera which I think would be better because it would be permanent and we wouldn't be so reliant on the camera car being available because clearly it is needed all over the borough.

I am continuing to press for this as a matter of urgency and have asked the enforcment team to speak to Jewsons who constantly flout the rules, they have  prescribed routes but they just seem to use any road they like.

"often" implies that sometimes they don't have access. This is good enough for me. I hope at least the driver's firms are given the full £1000 fine. Despite the fact that I know the drivers are at fault too I find the symmetry of the fines a little unfair.

Thank you for the update. It sounds like a difficult matter
It is proving a difficult nut to crack not least because the responsibility of enforcement has until recently been blurred. The police have now confirmed that they have been told by their managers that they are not to enforce HGV issues and the matter is now very much the responsibility of the local council. Now that is clear Cllr Schmitz and I can make sure the pressure is kept on to do just that.

The placement of a static camera would of course need some discussion as it would need to go in a place where it would reap the most reward both in terms of catching HGVs illegally using our roads and generating enough money to make it self finalising and essentially earning it's keep.

The access issue is hugely frustrating but a more permanent method of enforcement would address this. A few fines for companies whose drivers disobey and they will start to get the message.

Another ideal I suggested to the council was to narrow the road at certain points, probably two would be enough - there is a good example in Islington which I think has been posted earlier in this thread. I think that would be the ultimate solution - I just need to get the council to agree.

I am wondering whether a secondary approach would be good, that is that the amount of HGVs using our roads is detrimental to residents health. I am working on getting some pollution tests done.
Here is the width restriction I was talking about

http://maps.gstatic.com/m/streetview/?q=Benwell+Road,+London&hl...

Now some people have commented that HGVs will go through the middle but this could be enforced with an enforcement camera. I believe that if the issue can be addressed on Wightman Road it will by default address the problem on the ladder roads too - using any ladder road will risk coming across a restriction on Wightman - no HGV driver wants that .

There's a similar type of thing just over the other side of Green Lanes on Woodlands Park Rd - http://goo.gl/maps/OgFT0

Karen, thanks for your work on this. However, I'm not sure how a static unmanned camera would work. If the Council pursued an apparent offender after the fact, couldn't the latter just say that they needed access to a side road ? If they are stopped they could be asked to produce proof that they needed access but a camera can't deal with that.

Between HGV issues and 20mph speed limits, the met are doing a pretty good job of washing their hands of just about any traffic enforcement. At least that means they've got plenty of spare resources to sort out those pesky cyclists.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service