Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I have again asked for some enforcement action by the council against HGVs using Wightman Road and the ladder roads.

I am pleased to say that I have just had an email from the Parking Infrastructure Manager to say that they will be carrying out some enforcement this week between 7am and 8.30am.

Lets hope it starts to send a message to the companies that they lorries belong to.

Tags for Forum Posts: 7.5t, hgv, traffic

Views: 8674

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Karen, O'Donovan's drivers did not stop their incredible behaviour along Lausanne Rd until their supervisor put a note in their pay packets.

For info :

When you drive down from Hornsey and line up to turn into Wightman road 7.5 tonne signs are not visible enough for HGVs.  I have seen many HGVs lined up on this filter.

It is only when you turn that they are. At this stage there is not much you can do, therefore you have to continue into Wightman.

Once you are driving a truck down Wightman you have to concentrate on driving as the road is not that wide. The 7.5 tonne infringement is accidental and there is not much chance for about turn.

If you do not take a ladder road to exit you end up at the bridge which is 7.5 mgw.  HGVs should not cross this sign.

Re the video I posted earlier in the thread:

a) I don't think the Jewson driver was speeding, but compare his driving to the van behind and therein lies the issue.  The van is going nice and slowly while the Jewson driver is like a teenager in their first car.  A vehicle less than 7.5 tonnes at 20 mph on the ladder roads is not generally a problem. A jewson flatbed is. Regardless of their right to access, they should show more respect to the residents and go slower.  Yesterday one went over the speed bump outside and woke up our baby in the back room because of the vibration.

b) That particular driver drives that way ALL of the time, regardless of his load.  He alone goes up Cavendish at least 3 times per day, which would suggest he is based at Wightman Road.

Please, they have no legal right whatsoever to use any road other than Wightman. Notice how they have deleted the posts on here where they tried to assert that they did have a right to use Cavendish? I'm just jumping on this so that people don't start thinking that. Someone, somewhere at Jewson HQ is hoping this issue just goes away. A policeman, somewhere in Haringey is hoping this issue is addressed by the council. A council employee in River Park House is hoping this issue just goes away as they rely on being able to flout this law as well for access to Mary Neuner Rd. Nobody is going to enforce this law and everyone mentioned above knows it.

In a little over 13 months there will be a local election. Just saying.

BTW, I really recommend you stand out in front of his truck, stop him and have a word. I did it and it's great for the soul...

Hear hear John. Thanks for setting out the issue so clearly.

John, absolutely take on board your points about everyone passing the buck to other departments.  Thing is that I'll keep on at this until they find a solution - it may not be easy or quick but I won't go away (at least not for the next 13 months anyway!).

Karen, you are the ONLY local councillor who has ever addressed this. Not everybody has a speed hump outside their house but I bet the ones that do vote.

Thanks John.  I also have a speed hump just outside my house (well in front of next door) so I am also regularly jolted awake but monster wagons driving at break neck speed!

I second that, thank you John!

I followed an absolutely enormous Polish articulated lorry with trailer down Burgoyne the other day, and watched as it tried to negotiate the turn out onto Green Lanes...

Karen, you might mention to the traffic people that the 7.5 T signage on Turnpike lane to prevent  traffic coming from Muswell Hill from turning into Wightman is so badly placed that drivers already eying up the right turn lane will miss it. The sign should be on the west side of the bridge to give them a chance to register  it.

So I got the information back from Haringey council on how many fines had been issued to lorries over 7.5t for driving in areas where they are prohibited.  These figures are for all of the borough and not just the ladder area.

2011 - 6

2012 - ZERO !

2013 YTD - 527

It would seem apparent then that up until this year the council simply allowed lorries to drive where ever they like in the borough with impunity.  No wonder there is no concern about being caught..... no one was even trying. 

It looks like things have changed though this year and tickets are being issued.  The council did say many of the tickets could be cancelled as companys may have sufficient proof to claim right of access, but at least they are issuing them.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service