Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Residents asked me to follow up the issue with the speed hump/service cover and resulting loss of oil from vehicles which (having driven too fast over it) leave a trail of oil.

Here is the response.  The replacement cover should fix the issue but of course the larger problem of cars speeding down our roads continues.  Its an issue I will continue to address with the council.

----------------------------

Your enquiry about the Statutory Undertakers service cover in Hewitt Road outside no’40 LBH/2953114

Thank you for your enquiry.

A site inspection has confirmed that the speed hump has been constructed to the correct specification and conforms to the Highways (Road Hump) Regulations 1996, which is laid down by the Department for Transport. The speed at which you approach the hump should take account of the roads layout. The Highway Code states that 'the speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds that are inappropriate for the road and traffic conditions can be dangerous'.

However, it would appear that  the cause of the problem is likely to be the protruding sewer  inspection chamber near the speed hump outside no’40.

We will therefore ascertain who is responsible for this cover and request that they arrange replacement for a more modern style cover that will be flush with the carriageway when installed.

Engineering Projects Team

Project Engineer

Sustainable Transport Group

London Borough of Haringey

Views: 3839

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As I said in my post the SLOW marking will be a measure taken while the redesign and works are organised this is an additional warning and whilst of course it may not reduce the speed of all I think it will temporarily reduce the number of spills. The important thing at this stage is that every possible measure is taken to reduce the danger.

Cllr Emine Ibrahim

The No Right Turn is largely observed. Where it is ignored a £60 fine is incurred.

Not in my experience Hugh. Every time I have gone down Hewitt recently, the car / van in front of me has turned right.

Is the FPN camera up and running now?

FPN ?

Fixed Penalty Notice -is the camera that automatically issues tickets for right turns in now?

Well there is a camera pointed at the junction, though whether it swivels away to monitor the bus lane between 7 and 10 a.m. I can't tell you. It's the big boxy type on its own column, not the small camera type clipped to a lamp post that monitors Wightman Road for overweight lorries.

I imagine the existing traffic camera is being used as it's always pointing at Hewitt.

I always see cars turning left, but often see them do a U-turn on Green Lanes once they pass the camera.

Yes, the FPN camera has been running since May 10 and fines are being issued.

So how is it? Is Hewitt better now? Are other streets busier?

Thanks for your efforts Alan. HERE is the link to your comprehensive enquiry.

An interim warning sign, that I've suggested and still recommend, might mitigate liability for future smashed oil sumps.

However, the erection of such a sign now, could be seen as a tacit admission of liability for past smashed oil sumps (and any other losses).

How much better if this had been fully fixed some time ago. It is surely time for the Sustainable Transport Group to devote urgent and more serious attention to this matter.

Councillor (Highgate Ward)

Liberal Democrat Party

Now you're just repeating yourself, Clive. And repeating what I've written. But unfortunately without adding anything useful.

Lots of things need fixing around the borough. And there will be a lot more when the next round of cuts bite. What'll it be? £50, £60, or £70 million hacked from Haringey's budget?  So what will you be saying sitting in the Council Chamber as the Principal Boy and the Pantomime Dame start their patter? Repeatedly close Haringey People magazine to fill the gap?

There are many things I'd like to see changed in the "Sustainable Transport Team" in the "Place and Sustainability Directorate". Including these silly pretentious names.  (Except that that it would waste even more money to change it back to something understandable.)

For instance I'd like to see every member of staff writing in plain English. It could help them to be far more transparent about how and why they choose and ration spending on different but needed projects. Possibly with some real participatory budgeting experiments. (Not Cllr Joe Goldbluster's pretend ones with slider bars.)

I'd like them to understand the meaning of the old proverb 'a stitch in time saves nine'. And that getting it wrong first, second and third time etc costs more. (John Seddon's "Failure Demand". )

Most of all I'd like this and other Departments to grasp that as Cass Sunstein says:

"Learning what the public knows is fundamental to not erring." [...] 

"This is partly about the sovereignty of ‘We the People”. About self government and political legitimacy. But it’s more than that. It’s a point about mistakes and about how to avoid them."

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service