Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Residents asked me to follow up the issue with the speed hump/service cover and resulting loss of oil from vehicles which (having driven too fast over it) leave a trail of oil.

Here is the response.  The replacement cover should fix the issue but of course the larger problem of cars speeding down our roads continues.  Its an issue I will continue to address with the council.

----------------------------

Your enquiry about the Statutory Undertakers service cover in Hewitt Road outside no’40 LBH/2953114

Thank you for your enquiry.

A site inspection has confirmed that the speed hump has been constructed to the correct specification and conforms to the Highways (Road Hump) Regulations 1996, which is laid down by the Department for Transport. The speed at which you approach the hump should take account of the roads layout. The Highway Code states that 'the speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds that are inappropriate for the road and traffic conditions can be dangerous'.

However, it would appear that  the cause of the problem is likely to be the protruding sewer  inspection chamber near the speed hump outside no’40.

We will therefore ascertain who is responsible for this cover and request that they arrange replacement for a more modern style cover that will be flush with the carriageway when installed.

Engineering Projects Team

Project Engineer

Sustainable Transport Group

London Borough of Haringey

Views: 3835

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wish I'd seen the council officers driving over the hump at varying speeds to see if they wrecked their vehicles - did they increase their speed by 1mph each time and fill in a short q'airre? What a great experiment.

I wonder what they'd have done if they'd succeeded in damaging their vehicles, sued themselves..??

This is a very depressing and uninspired response. Haringey are obviously unwilling to admit that there is a significant problem. It cant just be a coincidence that people crack their oil tanks open on this particular hump at a rate of once or twice p/m or that motorists are only speeding over this hump out of all the humps on the ladder.

The problem is only going to get worse as the road surface deteriorates and the hump / camber to water cover relationship becomes more pronounced.

I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who can't drive over a speed bump without damaging their car. However it's very worrying to learn that any damage can cause serious danger for other road users.

I've ridden down Hewitt Road at 25mph with a driver on my arse beeping the horn and shouting at me to get out of the way (even though it was completely obvious cars were queuing at the bottom). That was before I knew about the oil problems, in future it'll really piss people off when I insist on riding at half that speed.

What's happened here reminds me strongly of the Endymion Road zebra crossing fiasco.  Link Here.

The response of Haringey Highways then, was - twice - to send a standard form reply which, in effect, ignored/dismissed the real and legitimate concerns of residents. Until, that is, Gordon T  went to the crossing and took some photos which clearly showed these concerns were well-founded.  Link to Gordon's photos.  Then Haringey staff got on with work which should have been done in the first place, instead of wasting time and money by persisting in their we-are-always-right routine

This time there's a slight improvement. Someone actually went to the place. But Tony Kennedy's email to me on 20 May simply repeats most of the same information sent to Cllr Karen Alexander (top of this page). with the slight improvement that Mr Kennedy has now promised that:

"We will arrange for the cover to be reset so it is flush with the carriageway and also re-profile the section of carriageway after the humps. This should address the damage being caused to vehicles."

I think I understand what this bureauburble means.  Presumably getting the water company to replace or reposition their cover. And I'd guess that "re-profile the carriageway" may mean that he accepts the evidence of Gordon T's photos that the roadway dips where it should not.  Although I was a bit puzzled by his next comment that: "I cannot however legislate for motorists driving inappropriately and braking before the humps".  I was under the impression that one job of traffic engineers was to try to design-out such problems.

But the most deeply disappointing aspect of his reply was the absence of any acknowledgement that residents posting on HoL are trying to work with him and his colleagues to solve this and similar problems.  And are doing this as engaged local citizens, volunteering their own time, skills, experience and their own resources.

To be clear, I'm not saying that 'Haringey staff are always wrong; residents are always right'. That would be an absurd reversal of the attitude of far too many Haringey staff.  What's needed is genuine dialogue - with reciprocal listening. Now more than ever, with further unnecessary and brutal cuts on the way, local councils should be listening to and learning from residents who use the services.

People may recognise what I've written as part of what's called "Co-Production".  Defined by the New Economics Foundation (NEF) as: "... delivering public services in an equal and reciprocal relationship between professionals, people using services, their families and their neighbours".

Going back to the specifics of Hewitt Road, what Mr Kennedy and his colleagues could and should have done is to reflect on the comments and information residents gave them. And then modified their own approach with a view to solving  the problem. They could have considered what Karen, Clive, Hugh, Gordon T  and others had written.  Instead of starting by defending their own position with the apparent aim of assigning all the blame to others. 'We got the traffic hump perfectly right; it's drivers' fault ; it's the water company's fault.'

In the meantime I suggest that pedestrians, cyclists and drivers who have suffered or may suffer damage at this location should consider showing this thread to their lawyers.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor. Departure Lounge.)

Agree with what you say Alan.

With my own visit, I believe I assessed most of the cause problem within a minute or two and I tried to be constructive.

If they haven't yet erected a warning sign, they should because this surely can be effected far more quickly than a "re-profile". This is bureau-speak and tacit admission that it is the road surface that needs attention and specifically the sharp camber. IMO, if that were fixed properly, the cover could stick up more than it is now and yet not be a problem.

Councillor-elect | Highgate Ward | Liberal Democrat Party

There's a fresh spill today and so far no sand or anything to make it safe so be careful driving /cycling down Hewitt. 

I've only just seen this. Anyone phoned the Council and reported it? Out of office hours, the usual number 020 8489 0000  takes you through to the emergency service. How bad is it? Any photos taken?

This sounds dangerous and I have reported to the Highways team. I have been told that someone should be on site to inspect within the hour and it will be made safe within two hours.

Emine Ibrahim (Cllr Elect - Harringay Ward)
Thanks for reporting this Emine. Will you be taking up the cause to try and get a more long term solution in place now?

Yes Emine: reading back through the thread you can see how much effort has been invested by residents and councillors in analysing this and contacting council officials. 

Now is a very good time to take up this long-running problem and get it fixed. Kudos would follow if you do.....

Absolutely - unless the protruding service cover is fixed this will continue to be a problem and is dangerous

Well here's the current state of play. I hope you will be asking Mr Beattie and/or Mr Kennedy regularly for a progress report and/or a date by which the work -

"We will arrange for the cover to be reset so it is flush with the carriageway and also re-profile the section of carriageway after the humps

will be done?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service