Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Residents asked me to follow up the issue with the speed hump/service cover and resulting loss of oil from vehicles which (having driven too fast over it) leave a trail of oil.

Here is the response.  The replacement cover should fix the issue but of course the larger problem of cars speeding down our roads continues.  Its an issue I will continue to address with the council.

----------------------------

Your enquiry about the Statutory Undertakers service cover in Hewitt Road outside no’40 LBH/2953114

Thank you for your enquiry.

A site inspection has confirmed that the speed hump has been constructed to the correct specification and conforms to the Highways (Road Hump) Regulations 1996, which is laid down by the Department for Transport. The speed at which you approach the hump should take account of the roads layout. The Highway Code states that 'the speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds that are inappropriate for the road and traffic conditions can be dangerous'.

However, it would appear that  the cause of the problem is likely to be the protruding sewer  inspection chamber near the speed hump outside no’40.

We will therefore ascertain who is responsible for this cover and request that they arrange replacement for a more modern style cover that will be flush with the carriageway when installed.

Engineering Projects Team

Project Engineer

Sustainable Transport Group

London Borough of Haringey

Views: 3872

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you time to phone the Council immediately?  If so, please phone 8489-0000 and ask to speak to Graham Beattie, the Assistant Director responsible. Explain what you have seen and ask him to read the latest posting on this thread.  Try not to be put off by the Call Centre flak catchers.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi Gordon

I have emailed Graham Beatie and asked for a timetable for when the underlying issue will be resolved - constantly putting sand down simply is not good enough. I will update you when I recieve a response. I have stressed that it's causing anger and frustration for residents. It's also dangerous of course as well as a waste of staff time to always be laying sand down and not fixing the problem

Cllr Emine Ibrahim

Emine, thank you very much for that - a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel!

No one came out last time to put sand down by the way!

I have just telephoned and Graham was 'in a meeting.' I think he heard the words Hewitt Rd and legged it.

However, I spoke with the lady that answered the telephone and said there had been 3 spills in 10 days with a fresh one today. I also said that sand needs to be put down now and that a surveyor needs to come out to re-assess the problem and could she get Graham to look at the thread on HOL. I tried to give a potted history of the hump and she said she had heard it being discussed in the office but couldn't go into specifics.

In other words, no news. I'll expect to report another spill in few days and no further response.

Please don't get discouraged, pipplypig.

I imagine that, as in any traditional command and control structure, the 'generals back at the chateau' in Haringey have to rely mostly on reports from staff nearer the frontline. So intelligence from observers actually on the ground gives another essential perspective.

I've never met Graham Beattie. But my wife Zena Brabazon has and tells me he seems thoughtful and open minded. So let's assume he wants to fix this problem. (Rather than selecting which of 101 reasons justify not fixing it.)

It's the Council's responsibility to maintain the public highways in a usable condition. If the speed limit is 20mph we should be able to drive over the speed bump at 20mph ( however undesirable that may be ).

The public should not have to ( and legally must not ) erect guerrilla signs.

I have received a response from Graham Beatie. He has informed me that cleansing contractors will be there today to lay down sand. He has also told me that engineers are now working on a revised profile for the speed hump which is believed will help to address the problem. I have been assured that I will be kept up to date on this and I will make sure that I let you all know once further progress is made.

Cllr Emine Ibrahim

Thanks Emine.

I asked these questions in a Freedom of information Act Request sent to Haringey earlier this afternoon.

Can you please give me the following information:
(1) When did reports and or complaints about this particular road hump and metal cover commence?
(2) How many reports and complaints have there been?
(3) How many complaints have been made about damage to vehicles at this location?
(4) How many such complaints involved oil leaks?
(5) How many claims for compensation has Haringey received relating to this particular road hump and metal cover?
(6) On what dates was this particular road hump / metal cover inspected following the earliest complaint?
(7) What steps have been taken to contact the Utilities Company about the oil leaks and the metal cover?
(8) When was the earliest of such contacts and when was the most recent such contact?
(9) What was the outcome of these contacts?

I have received a further update from Graham Beatie informing me that some SLOW markings will be going down before the hump as an additional warning to drivers while the redesign of the hump and the organisation of the works is completed.

Cllr Emine Ibrahim

Will they be in languages other than English? You'd think that the hump itself would say "slow" in any language...

There's a NO RIGHT TURN notice at the bottom of Hewitt and a 7.5T sign at the start of Wightman which are pretty much ignored. The only effect of a SLOW marking will be to provide a defence for the Council against claims for damage.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service