Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Does anybody have any advice on what courses of action are open to me in dealing with regular noise disturbances from the public house across the road from me in the early hours of the morning (typically between 12pm and 3am)?

The Public House in question has a licence to sell alcohol until 1am all days of the week except Friday and Saturdays when they have a licence until 2am. Patrons have an hours drinking up time and so this results in people not leaving the premises until 2am/3am.

The noise can take the form of loud music, shouting, singing, smoking and drinking alcohol directly outside the premises on the street. I was awoken several times yesterday evening and at around 2am I went over the public house to speak to the landlord about the noise on the street. He informed me that this was not his problem and that he would be doing nothing to resolve the situation.

I'm aware that that the council has an out of hours Enforcement Team to deal with issues of noise. Complaints have been raised historically (this has been an issue for the last couple of years since a change in ownership at the public house) with the enforcement response team, but this never seems to relate to a change in behaviour on behalf of the public house.

Anybody have any thoughts on next steps? Who should I contact? Licensing Team to get a review of their licence? Local police? Local Councillors?

Thanks

Mark

Tags for Forum Posts: noise

Views: 3931

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Absolute rubbish. Noise is a downside of living on a high street.  If the pub is trading legally and people move in and then complain about the noise then they should have chosen a quiet residential street.

They should stop serving booze to people till the early hours and they shouldn't be allowed to do it. Bit like the gambling industry claiming its not their fault if people gamble away their rent money...

Well done Ben, I used to drink in the HA some 25 years ago when crouchend was one of the cheapest places in London for students to live. Keeping one of the three pillars of a community alive should be commended, if you weren't there another pub would probably close and be converted into flats.
Sounds like your you've taken on the responabilities required by law/ the council / and good neighbourliness.
Re: your neighbour - it sounds like he may have been resident before your licence extension was granted and will ( as you have pointed out) have had the opertunity to voice an opinion then.
So long as you can show that you have done all you can ( and continue to do so) the reponability for noise disruption is with your customers. So maybe a friendly chat with the police to send a car past at about 2.15am ( if they're not busy) may be the answer.
Your absolutely right to defend your staff and I commend you for that.
Remember there are a lot of people who support you and all your efforts to keep london a great place to live.

An observation concerning my local pub, which also happens to be a very popular pub to people from outside the area, is that when the present proprietors first took it over about 14 years ago it became the place to meet up with friends after work. The local transport hubs made this very easy and soon more and more people were using the place. Some even bought property in the same street to really make it their local. Move on ten years and these same people have now settled down and are bringing up young families. They were the first ones to start complaining about the pub, noise and nuisance etc. 

Now they knew the pub was there, by choice they chose to live there. Now they want everything to change to suit them because they're the ones that have changed, or their priorities at least.

It's a bit like me and where I live. I'm around the corner from the pub so get the disturbances to a lesser extent, but I do have the railway line behind my house. Perhaps I should go to British Rail or who ever is running the trains and complain to them about their noise?

And as for Finsbury Park itself.... (I will complain about that as festival sites weren't there when I moved here)

I think you're right Madeline, that if you decide to live near a pub or a train line, you have to accept the noise associated with that and probably adjust the way you live, when you go to bed and so on, to accommodate that. I do think there is a difference though when the function of a place changes after you have moved there. That could be the local shop becoming a late night off licence, a restaurant getting a music licence or a pub changing its opening hours to after midnight.

NIMBY ALERT!!

Let's pretend I'm your next door neighbour. If I were to invite friends round to my house to play scrabble every night and upon leaving they stand outside your house making a noise and keep you awake til the wee small hours. You would probably complain and I would expect to have the authorities come down on me.

Why is this any different just because it is a pub and alcohol is involved? Disturbance is disturbance, no matter what the justification.

Because the pub was there doing what it is doing before the person making the complaint lived there. And even if there person making the complaint lived there first it is still a commercial high street with everything that brings with it including police sirens and commercial waste trucks. If you want a quiet life dont live on a high street and expect the world to revolve around you.

Everyone has the right to be able to sleep undisturbed from entirely avoidable noise. I don't understand this mentality that implies that anyone has the right to act up just because they are drunk. I can get totally wasted and still get myself home without disturbing anyone.

Who has implied anything even close to allowing people to 'act up' because they are drunk? No-one on this thread has said that. But inevitably groups of people will make some noise.

If you want to exercise your 'right to sleep', I would suggest moving to a quiet street in the suburbs, rather than next door to a popular pub in the middle of a busy town centre. 

The pub was there James but the opening hours changed.

If that is the case then then that does change the situation slightly I guess but the more general point remains: The person complaining would have paid a reduced rate on his flat or his rent, whatever, based on its location on the High Street compared with nearby residential roads. The impact of commercial activity and traffic etc is the price you pay for this reduced rate. Should all we all bow before the almighty property market and the desires of middle class/aged residents to live their quiet civilised lives behind their curtains or should we have space for those who wish to live differently alongside them? 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service