Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I am sure many of you saw the leaflet that dropped on our mats this morning about the redevelopment of the Hawes and Curtis site.

See the scan attached here if not.

There is a lot of development already happening close to us (Woodberry Down), and a lot more to come down the pipe (St Anns, Heartlands) as 'open' and brownfield' sites are identified and (re)developed as part of wider development plans for the borough.

You may have something to say about it, and you can do so at public exhibitions at the Falkland Centre, entrance on Frobisher Rd, by Harringay Passage. Near North Harringay Primary. Friday 5th Feb 4-8pm and Saturday 6th Feb 1-5pm.

Hawes%20and%20Curtis.pdf

Views: 3130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with you Rory... and I would add that a well designed modern rabbit hutch offers a better standard of life than the butchered sub divisions of our existing housing stock.
I must admit to having been very excited about the talk of a cycling hub to be included in the previous discussion
Affordable housing sounds good but yes I'm skeptical

Hi tigha, I'm also a bit of a skeptic. I was also looking forward to some kind of cycling hub. But, given the size of a possible new retail space on the 'main drag' I'd not be surprised if we end up with some kind of M&S/ waitrose/ sainsbury local or more probably another super sized Turkish.
It's also inevitable that there will be more flats than advertised, the council are under pressure to provide much needed accommodation and a site of this size provides a unique opportunity in this area.

Hi Andy you haven't upset me, and I've complained about HMOs many times. The place next door is bordering on a dump, landlord doesn't care as long as gets his money and why should the tenants care. they just go onto their one room and lock the door. the rest of the road has to live with the eyesore
Hi Mavic, Surely that's a problem of a piss poor landlord rather than HMOs. When I rented a room in one the landlord was fantastic, they owned a number of properties, visited every week to check on us and the building. They sorted repairs quickly and were generally on top of things. Consequently we looked after the property and we got on well with our neighbours. I was the first to move in when they converted the property and it was 5 years before the first of us moved out. I moved a year and a half after that.
I now live a couple of doors away from an HMO, the tenants seem ok but the landlord is not good. The buildings immediate neighbour has managed to get the council involved who closed down the property a couple of times due to overcrowding and enforced repairs and improvements.
Should it not be about improving regulations and greater and more efficient enforcement.
Agreed, unfortunately my experience with the council hasn't been great. They've told me they're overworked and it may take time to visit the house, not holding my breath. unfortunately I think a lot of HMO landlords know this and will sail as close to the wind as long as they can because they know the council won't do anything about it. Next doors HMO has a hole in the downstairs hall ceiling from a leak in the shower on the first floor. Neither have Been repaired in over 12 months
You have my simpathy. Unfortunately the council's response to anything is unlikely to improve any time soon. They are cutting and cutting savagely across the board. My wife is having to reapply for her job in what will be left of the boroughs children's centres for the second time in 4 years.
By the time the 2020 elections come around the council will only be employing a couple of people and those will be accountants.
They'll still have plenty of councilors though, so maybe that should be our first port of call. Forget the council offices -- bug the arse out of those elected to represent us - call/email councilor Kober repeatedly/ unrelentingly.
She won't be able to ASBO all of us.

Good suggestion, I'll do that

Not sure you know this but Haringey is currently rolling out the management of HMOs across the borough. Given the license costs,  assume this is relatively self funding, so not as at risk of cuts as other elements of the council's service. BTW HMO means any property of 5 or more residents it seems, whether the tenants know each other (and are living as a 'group') or not.

If you have an issue suggest you flag it with this lady. She seems eminently sensible...

Glayne Russell (Mrs)

Senior Environmental Health Officer (Shared and Empty Homes)

Haringey Council, Housing Improvement Team (Private Sector)

Apex House, 820 Seven Sisters Road N15 5PQ

T. 020 8489 5252

E. glayne.russell@haringey.gov.uk

Try this for a definition of an HMO - the relationship between the tenants is key.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service