Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hawes and Curtis Development on Hold - Parking for Luxury Cars to Take its Place?

It's seems like the Hawes and Curtis redevelopment might have fallen at the fist hurdle and may have been shelved.

I haven't found out why but it's been suggested to me that the Hawes and Curtis development will not going ahead as planned. Apparently, the new Qatari owner hasn't ruled out a future development, but in the meantime the existing building is being repurposed as a 24-hour access parking service.

The cars currently in the lot suggest that it might be a holding pen for the luxury metal of Qatari visitors, but a conversation with the owner suggests that it might also accommodate  sub-£200k cars . So if you need parking from £100 per month, there's now a central Harringay option for that. No website or contact info as yet.

Tags for Forum Posts: 590-598 Green Lanes, hawes & curtis

Views: 2459

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought people were keen on this. I didn't even object based upon the site being short two mature protected trees (details here).

I don't know who is keen on this, but it's certainly not the people in Colina Road, Harringay Gardens, Colina Mews or Park Road (or indeed the ward councillors).

People in Colina Road and Harringay Gardens are going to be 20 feet away from a 7 storey development that (in some cases) will block over 80% of their light.

Nobody is saying the site should not be developed for housing, but smacking 7 storeys in a low-rise area (and going against the Planning Inspectorate) shows a contempt for the area and its residents.

How come Islington conforms to its Local Plan and the London Plan, but Haringey doesn't?

A few may have mildly questioned the developer's sincerity in proposing a ground-floor health clinic, but nobody objected to use of the site for needed housing/flats other than the rabbit-hutch variety.  Antoinette's "So I'm curious . . ." line seems to reflect her need to build an amoral high ground onto which she may clamber to pea-shoot at those on HOL who may see the need for eternal vigilance. 

Amoral high ground? Why are you targeting me again? Do you want to just back off.
I wonder if the planning for Hampden Road undermined it's value affecting finance for the development, (could be feeling the pinch post Brexit.) another possibility is that they are selling the scheme to another developer, or sweating out the CIL contribution. Residents backing onto the rear elevation of the scheme, understandably may have voiced concerns, even though it did improve ledgeability, provided active frontages and improved natural surveillance from a design perspective. Their comm's people seemed earnest, even if sites density was questioned. There's was also the St Ann's by election, which may have deferred planning.

It's a pretty risky time to invest in the UK at the moment, given the total unpredictability of the Brexit outcome - I bet this isn't the only development that's been paused.

In the mean time they can make a bit of cash with no investment through leasing as car park, car wash etc..

No. We're not happy because the Planning Committee is still pushing for a 7 storey development - even though the ward councillors are all against it.

What is wrong with this Planning Committee? Why are they always lining up behind schemes with no social housing, no affordable housing, going against Haringey's own policies?

14 storeys on the Ladder with no social housing? That'll do nicely, thanks.

There are approved areas in Haringey scheduled for denser/higher developments - they should be using them rather than destroying the look and feel of low-rise residential areas. You can bet if the Planning Commitee members found themselves in the shadow of of one of these new "improvements" they'd find a way to stop it happening on their own doorstep.

Please object now at PlanningSite and get in touch if you'd like more detail - or would like to help.

They are supposed to restore the two mature trees they illegally felled on Easter Sunday 2009. Any mention of it? Details here.

I've seen no mention of replacing the trees. I suspect they have gone to the same place the proposed health centre will go.

Perhaps the underground was too problematic for the developments structural engineers, is it for sale then?

I did wonder what was happening there today, there were a couple of blokes putting up a wooden frame. I guess it will form a garage or similar.

Yes, that's pretty hard to get excited about!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service