Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The council have put out a draft Request for Quotation for a Transport Study of the Harringay area and are asking for comments - to Razak.Mahama@haringey.gov.uk - by the 6th of November.

The link to the page on the council website page about it is:  http://www.haringey.gov.uk/parking-roads-and-travel/roads-and-stree... or the document itself is attached here: Green%20Lanes%20Transport%20Study%20Brief.pdf.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. From the historical traffic changes in the area we've some reason to be nervous, so for example, its interesting to see what is and isn't included in meeting notes from the traffic meeting mentioned in section 1.4 - no mention at all of the Hewitt No Right Turn prompting the meeting to happen or of the problems that the Hewitt change has caused. And the establishing a stakeholder group of key representatives, which from previous similar groups often seem to be dominated by a few and not always serve some residents so well. But lets be optimistic for now...

As is the councils way, the document is uncopyable text so i can't cutNpaste it in here so here are the pages as scanned images: 

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 2378

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry, it's Islington. Corrected below. And yes, it is

Mind you, I can't remember the last time I managed to exceed 20 mph on our Green Lanes - maybe 2 am ?

Dunno, cannot answer that one. Maybe it is not an adopted TFL route the whole way to Newington Green? Worth asking though.

Duckets or Finsbury drag strip intermittently throughout the day, police call it acceleration not speeding, (you hear turbo's misfire.)

The range of acceleration is staggering, (how many feet per second?) It would have to be, to make such a pointless exercise in a short distance worth it.

22:00-24:00 it is at its worst.

Generally cars see it as a stretch to take up quickly, so that perception is real. Nothing on what Colin Chapman got up to in the 50's, Still he wouldn't have got this level of acceleration.

How did Islington manage to get their part of Green Lanes -Clissold Park to Newington Green - restricted to 20 mph ?

There are 20mph signs ready to be unveiled up and down Green Lanes. Islington set their speed limits and so do Haringey, look at the arguments they had over Stroud Green Rd.

Great!
An excellent case John, it is a Historic Georgian Green, and Hackney have their own Urban Design team, this shows a degree of forward thinking and commitment to the importance of public realm.
Sad about the listed exclusions.
This would be worth pursuing to clarify and establish dialogue with TfL, as it will be key to a new traffic model.

At a meeting for the Twenty's Plenty initiative, a council officer said red routes were managed by TFL and yellow lines were council, Karen Alexander clarified this and Adam was also there. It would be good to understand this, can you follow it up?

I along with two other residents, were caught by traffic in both directions, (crossing from a bus stop from Green Gate to Duckets common,) and it was frightening as cars were very quick along this stretch and difficult to anticipate.

Green Lanes clearly needs to be narrowed along the Common, together worth a Tokyo crossing at the Frobisher junction, parents with children ignore the recent crossing, as it doesn't take into account the range of points on the junction pedestrians want to cross from, (to get to school in the morning.) This is evident from 8.30 in the morning till 9AM on week days.

Green Lanes is a physical barrier that divides Duckets common from Green Gate Common, Cars accelerate along this stretch and traffic is hostile, the road width should be narrowed and provision for pedestrian crossing needs to be established, to make it safer to access Duckets and the Ladder, by bus, and crossing from West Green. Duckets is frequently used for community events, and deserves special attention.

Landscape architects and urban designers are taught that people will choose to travel in the most direct path, and with the best of intentions the public will not always conform to a design, it is important to take natural routes into account.

A Tokyo crossing has been implemented at Wood green, and I don't understand why it has not been adopted for the Frobisher Rd Crossing.

As you say it is a once in a lifetime opportunity, it will take time to implement and gain TFL & Haringey Council's attention, so it needs to be put forward now. In the short term the Frobisher crossing waiting time may be shortened like the crossing for Harringay Station on Wightman Road.

TfL can see the timing for crossings on Green Lanes in real time, (remotely.) I experienced this over the phone when enquiring about the short time South Harringay Children had to cross with a Carer, to get to Woodlands Park Road Children's Centre for After School Club.

Can the remit to resolve traffic be extended to Safety for pedestrians? considering it is the Ladder Community Safety Partnership, and as a stakeholder give representation to the redesign of Green Gate and Frobisher Rd junctions.

Its a fair point about pedestrian safety Matt. I guess a fair bit of the focus is on volume and type of traffic, but there has been recognition in discussions of all modes of transport, including by foot!

Good to here.

I have included it in the LCSP response, along with a few other points made here too by others. (Not sure if you will be making your own response?)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service