Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Click the image to view a full copy of the document (on Google Drive). Download it from there if you want a copy of your own.

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study

Views: 2499

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nick, if you think the maintenance costs of the Garden's rising bollard are too high then why did you object when they threatened to replace it with a permanent gate three years ago?

In the consultation, one of the options was to keep the bollards but introduce an annual fee of around 10 pounds. I chose this option but ultimately the issue was swept under the rug due to issues with the way the consultation was undertaken.

I wasn't saying bollards are a bad idea, simply that Haringey are unlikely to go for this option just because a similar system exists locally.

These bollards have, and still do, suffer from vandalism which results in them remaining down, sometimes for days at a time.

I may be wrong about the east/west preponderance (I said it was 2/3rds), however the new calculations showing that actually 210,000 vehicles a week use Wightman was missed originally because of the east/west issue, vehicles were present at one Wightman counter but not the other, giving a lower overall count and implying east/west.

I live at the GL end of the rung and would object strongly to being cut off like this from the top end. I (used to) use Wightman for nearly all my journeys as GL is so congested.

Usage per person is going down but the number of people is increasing, leaving the amount of car journeys roughly steady.

Ha ha, Antoinette.

There may be data showing that 'journey times' have not changed, but mine have certainly got longer. I am using my car somewhat less, mostly because the uncertainty of how long it will take me puts me off starting out. I am using my bike occasionally as well, but will never be a confident and regular cyclist. And it's summer, so walking and cycling seem more viable at present than they will in the dark and cold.

But when I do need to use my car, which now entails exiting my street via Green Lanes/Endymion Road, where previously I almost always used Wightman, my journey times are anything from 5 minutes to 30 minutes longer - this either spent sitting in traffic jams, or driving extraordinarily long detours to avoid the jams. Which doesn't seem to me a good thing, as the more time I spend en route, the more pollution I am causing.

Hi Matt, this is based on stated preferences. The link between our intentions and behavioural variance is very very weak. 

Unfortunately I question the entire methodology here in relation to how we are assuming people are moving through Haringey. This is a huge problem for understanding traffic in any city.

It is indeed a surprising statistic. If 49% is journeys by car owning residents, will that mean that the post-closure traffic count will show 49% of the level of journeys of the pre-closure counts?

Indeedy.

Well it certainly blows the concept that we are blighted by through traffic rat running through our residential streets... it's mostly tesidents pottering about, running errands, doing leisure activities...

Sorry Antoinette, but Tris misread and misinterpreted. See my reply below

I've said it before Antoinette - we can assume that all the residents of Harringay know by now that Wightman Road is blocked. So the huge numbers of vehicles coming from Turnpike Lane, reaching the barrier at Hampden Rd, saying " oh shit " and turning back towards Turnpike Lane are unlikely to be residents. It's not, as was suggested, drivers heading west on Turnpike Lane who want to circumvent the no right turn and head up Hornsey Park Rd as why would they come down as far as Hampden instead of spinning round at Sydney Rd where there is plenty of room ?

It's rather worrying that so many drivers have such poor eyesight as not to see the signs, or refuse to be guided by them. 

When I have an hour to spare, I'll do a count.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service