Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Residents, Residents Groups and Traders in the Green Lanes / Harringay Ladder area may not be aware of the handsome consultation document detailing the new Green Lanes proposals which has just been published on behalf of the Green Lanes Strategy Group.

This is available to download at:
www.haringey.gov.uk/green_lanes_scheme.

Paper copies have been produced in limited quantity and are available at Stroud Green Library, Tao Sports and Cherie Hair Salon.

Views and comments are invited and welcomed and the closing date for these is 21 June 2013. 'If no major objections are received', works are planned to start in July/August 2013 and will last 9-12 months.

Comments should be emailed to: frontline.consultation@haringey.gov.uk
or posted to: Frontline Consultation, London Borough of Haringey, FREEPOST NAT 20390, PO Box 264, London N22 8BR

This is the one opportunity to have a close look at all the detail and to make constructive comments.

Tags for Forum Posts: glsg, green lanes corridor, green lanes plan, green lanes strategy, harringay green lanes town centre, harringay ladder, outer London und, pocket park, town centre improvements

Views: 7995

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Barabara, you're welcome to comment on anything you like in Tottenham Hale, in Tottenham High Road, on our street; or anywhere else, if you think you have something useful and fresh to add.

The ideas I drew from Vancouver and which we discussed, were not about the differences of an exotic city in a country on the other side of the globe. It was how inventive, imaginative and forward-looking Vancouver and other Canadian cities seemed to be in many respects. And how much we had to learn from them.

For example, at the time (2004) Vancouver was way ahead of London in using videos as a tool to give information and for citizen engagement. This applied to an enormous range of local services: including their parks; planning; traffic, conservation and recycling; youth work; graffiti control etc. There was hardly a single issue which comes up in Haringey on which they lacked some helpful experience and creative ideas. (They had a large disused former Department store building - Woodwards - and seemed to be successfully engaging the community in its redevelopment plans.) At the time, Haringey Council was almost nowhere at all with video.

But I regret that when we came home I found almost nobody in Haringey with the slightest interest in learning from these Canadian ideas, projects, or experiments.

As I've suggested before, Haringey tends to have at least 101 reasons for not wanting to use, or adapt or even consider suggestions from "outside". Including;  we're doing it already; we haven't got the money; it would never work here because we're different; we've always done it our way etc etc. That's got steadily worse over the years as the councillors "leading" the borough become more stubbornly closed-minded, and intolerant of anything and anyone appearing to threaten their power.

But please don't worry that anything I write will affect what happens in Harringay. It rarely has and won't now.

I'm unclear what you are asking me, Thérèse.  But I suggest you read through the Code of Conduct for councillors on Haringey's website which is downloadable here. (Clicking the link should download a PDF file.)

If you wish to complain that any councillor has breached the Code you should contact Bernie Ryan, a lawyer who is Haringey's Monitoring Officer. Mr Ryan's contact details are on the webpage here:

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/council/ourstandards/changes_to_th...

This webpage also contains download links for the following

• The Complaints Form
  • Information for potential complainants
  • Brief guide to the Complaints process
  • Process for Complaints

It's really no problem, Barbara. For any councillor, including me. (Though I don't think Thérèse means me as I don't live on the Ladder as you know.)

We do need to be accountable - and to stand up and explain ourselves. It's also good to be reminded that we aren't special or above the rules. Sometimes we make mistakes; get things wrong. In which case we need to own-up, apologise and try to put things right.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

What letter Therese?

Ok, so today I got this letter - and it's still incorrect in making the point about there then being 3 roads that go east to west.

Strange what you miss on HOL when you're busy.

Seems to me that Harringay Ladder has way too many rungs. Bulldoze two rows of houses on Hewit and replant the orchards, orangeries and pineappleries of Harringay House. win win win.

When Haringey and Harringay take up seriously the points made by John McM, Liz and Linda - then we residents of Wightman Road (or is it Whightman or Whiteman or WAIT Man!) may begin to show an interest.

Meanwhile what's this tweely pretentiously faux-mediterranean nonsense about a piazza, plaza or Place d' Égalité ?  Only logical name is Taksim Meydani - with a Monument of the (Turk) Republic where Hewit meets Green Lanes and the new Ataturk Cultural Centre at Iceland.

Good neighbours indeed.

I note with no small sense of irony that the actual architects of this scheme are absent from the debate and are merely letting your hysterical and unreasonable objections to said debate take the sting out of it. Care to scan and upload the letter that was posted in your letter box from the HRRA back in February?

I'm all keen for a traffic solution and if I didn't think it was possible to make many more people happy then I'd be saying good on you guys for getting off your arses and playing the game. But the game you're playing is simple beggar thy neighbour. I presume you learned it from the GRA.

Barbara I happen to KNOW that something underhand was being done. I tried to post about it back in February but was advised against it.

Yeah you have to be pretty thick skinned if you're defending something like this so you have my sympathy, especially over the lack of online support from your neighbours who are online too.

As for not knowing who the GRA are, I'm afraid I'm not going to give you that one. You will know if you have a brief think that they are the "Gardens Resident's Association" and that they managed to convince the council to bestow an expensive gating solution on them with rising bollards and a presumably arduous and ongoing administration function for the electronic keys.

I'm not kicking you in the butt so much as trying to embarrass the real people behind this into getting online and defending it. I'll have to give it to them if they get it, as I said they got off their arses and played the game but really I'm sad that the more beneficial solution is not looked at in more detail. In fact I get the impression that the gating of either end of Wightman is seen as the crazed and unworkable ravings of a loon.

Just step away from the keyboard and come back when I've convinced some of the people behind this to get online and take us through their thinking.

John, it's been 5 hours since you've announced something underhanded has been going on but no one has asked what that is. Considering the direction this post has gone, and the need for many of us to know the truth, isn't it now important that you disclose what you know?

So Barbara (if you haven't totally removed your presence from the site), how much did you bet that I don't live on Wightman Road? Show me the colour of your money. 

You make much of being a long-term Hewit Road resident. That may or may not give you greater rights over your little stretch of Hewit. It doesn't lend your opinions any greater credence over those of long or short-term residents of neighbouring rung roads who may well be more immediately affected by the traffic down-draught from any tinkering with Hewit.

It will not noticeably affect me or my little stretch of Wightman. After 36 years here, I think we and Wightman have seen it all. "Regeneration-degeneration" downwind of us on Green Lanes, for all its flashy documents and Salisbury piazzas and consultation and Hewit tweaking of this "textbook consultation", is at best just good for a belly-laugh up here. 

If, Barbara, my little nom-de-plume or de-keyboard speaks weird creepy stalker secrecy to you, while you think that your triple-A Barbara is proof to all that "at least i am honestly identifying who i am in the neighbourhood", let me set your mind at rest. The name is EDDIE FINNEGAN and all my stalking is done on Wightman Road. I do not venture into foreign parts such as Hewit. So now my friends will assure you that in "honestly identifying who I am in the neighbourhood" I'm at least twice as honest and transparent a HOLlier as you seem to be.

But really, Barbara, what really gets on my goat is when someone, even in a momentary aberration immediately repented, suggests that  Alan Stanton may not have something relevant to add to a HOL discussion.

Let me know how much you bet with BetFred or Paddy Power on my Wightmanship. Remember, Wightman is the motherlode of the territory. Hewit-type rungs are just alluvial streamlets. Solve the Wightman problem and all your runglet rivalries will fall into place. 

This seems as apt from Waiting for Godot:

The tears of the world are a constant quantity. For each one who begins to weep, somewhere else another stops. The same is true of the laugh.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service