Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Residents, Residents Groups and Traders in the Green Lanes / Harringay Ladder area may not be aware of the handsome consultation document detailing the new Green Lanes proposals which has just been published on behalf of the Green Lanes Strategy Group.

This is available to download at:
www.haringey.gov.uk/green_lanes_scheme.

Paper copies have been produced in limited quantity and are available at Stroud Green Library, Tao Sports and Cherie Hair Salon.

Views and comments are invited and welcomed and the closing date for these is 21 June 2013. 'If no major objections are received', works are planned to start in July/August 2013 and will last 9-12 months.

Comments should be emailed to: frontline.consultation@haringey.gov.uk
or posted to: Frontline Consultation, London Borough of Haringey, FREEPOST NAT 20390, PO Box 264, London N22 8BR

This is the one opportunity to have a close look at all the detail and to make constructive comments.

Tags for Forum Posts: glsg, green lanes corridor, green lanes plan, green lanes strategy, harringay green lanes town centre, harringay ladder, outer London und, pocket park, town centre improvements

Views: 7993

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alison, the same thought that's been going through my mind reading this thread. Without a robust and generally accepted baseline measurement how can there be any reliable comparisons?

Yes, Barbara, several years have gone by but Zena and I still live near Tottenham High Road. (Although a bit nearer Bruce Grove station than Tottenham Hale.) I remember you as thoughtful, and very well informed, and - I think - experienced and well respected in video-making. If I remember accurately, we had mutual Indian friends in Gujarat with whom you'd made a prize-winning documentary.

I imagine the basic techniques of video-making apply in an Indian village as in Tottenham Hale. As does the need to base a documentary film on robust evidence. 

I'd suggest that in running what seems to be regarded as an "experiment" to measure changes in traffic flows in a group of streets, it would make good sense and be very useful to measure flows before and after the changes. And that would apply in Green Lanes or Gujarat.

I agree. It's common sense and should be self-evident. Even so it's always worth checking. 

There's a very old joke about a rabbi who is challenged by a shocked member of his congregation. "Rabbi, I saw you leaving your home this morning and you stopped and crossed yourself. What's going on?"

The rabbi frowns and thinks for a few moments and then smiles. "Yes, I always check as I'm going out. Spectacles, fly-buttons, wallet, keys."

What would be measured in the experiment?

The sole point of the proposed change is to try to improve the pedestrian experience of the new piazza area, thats not even built yet so a proper before and after measurements can't be done till after that happens.

The survey can't just be small, if only only does the streets either side of Hewit it will miss the more far reaching effects.

How and who would judge the results? The GLSG? The community? It would be quite subjective, who gets to decide what level of increase in traffic volume by SHP and Fairland Park is worth it to improve the new piazza area?

Lets remember the new piazza area is still the Green Lanes / St Anns junction, I wager that if it was put to the wider Harringay Community no increase in traffic by SHP would be considered acceptable given that even after the tweaking effect the Hewit direction change might have the piazza is still going to be a relatively congested noisy traffic filled spot.

Alan, my rabbi used check: "Spectacles, testicles, vallet and vatch." But yes, it's good to check.

Indeed OAP, I was going to say the same thing to Alan, the uncensored version and surely the classic is "Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch", from when a watch was of the pocket variety of course. It scans much better!

Right Hugo. Name's Eddie, though, not Paddy!

That was the grandfather of the rabbi I quoted.

Who's Paddy, Eddie??! I haven't used either name. Confused :-)

Eddie may not be bothered to explain so I will.

Not OA*P* for Paddy but OA*E* for Eddie who incidentally hails from  Ireland, hence his toothy grinned emoticon

Ha, thanks Liz! Bit slow. I knew it was OAE as well, but somehow I wrote OAP by mistake, which wasn't a Freudian slip as I don't know how old old Eddie is!

Hugo, I see Liz has interpreted my Delphic utterances. Some people call me OHP - something to do with what I'm trying to project over their heads, I suppose.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service