Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Crouch End library stopped broadcasting its free wifi over two weeks ago. Front desk staff seem to have no idea why... or if/when the service is going to be reinstated.

Apparently this is a borough-wide problem - in other words, there's currently no library wifi ANYWHERE in Haringey!

Seems astonishing that in 2014 this kind of technical problem can take so long to address. And one wonders how it was allowed to occur in the first place.

Anybody out there able to shed any light on the issue?

Chris

Views: 1529

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just in case other people were curious, the wifi service is now running okay.  I'm told It's been back for a couple of weeks.

The same problem hit other libraries in London which had contracted with the same suppliers. But I gather that some boroughs were speedier than others in getting the service back up again.  As far as I know, this was *not* down to our excellent library staff, who - I'm guessing - would have been as frustrated as library users by the delay.

Any independent-minded councillors around who aren't afraid of pissing-off the party whips, and who'd like to ask: (a) Why it wasn't done more quickly?  (b) What lessons have been learned for the future?

Alan

Your 3rd para questions are apposite IMO.

However, there's have been quite a few grumbles voiced within my earshot about the service in the Crouch End library. Specifically:

(1) the service seems to require users to regularly re-register, only days after they thought they already had access. New logins and passwords are having to be (re)generated at a frequency not seen with the previous system.

(2) there have been problems receiving / sending emails on the browsers resident on people's PCs e.g. Thunderbird. Webmail seems to work fine; the others not so well...

But, hey, at least we have wifi again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

If people haven't already done I strongly recommend putting this into an email: Library.Service@haringey.gov.uk.  Or use the Council's e-form for suggestions and complaints.

In addition, as this is a significant issue, I suggest you may also want to copy in Cllr Bernice Vanier whose "cabinet" responsibilities include the libraries.

I put my comments ( above ) into an email to Stephen McDonell  and received a courteous apology from David Murray .

" The comments you quote in your e-mail arise from the challenge of trying to keep people in touch with progress on a situation that was both unplanned and unpredictable.  We were obviously too hasty in suggesting resolution dates, and for that I offer my apologies "
Fair enough I think.

I don't think it is fair enough when the problem could have been solved in days or at least an interim solution could have been put in place. Each library could have bought a router for the cost of a hardback book & connected to their own network.

It is the most disadvantaged in Haringey who rely on this service. That is why I think nobody really cared because it had little affect on them & they probably thought that those who use it don't vote anyhow.

Although that seems like a simple idea, as someone who is registered with the library, and hence they have my details, I'd be very concerned if all and sundry were gaining access to the library's network because they rushed through a temporary "solution".

Routers have passwords too. It could have been issued at the front desk & changed daily.

But what network is the router connected to? I'd expect it to be totally separate from the library network, sufficient security that there was no discovery between computers on the same network, etc

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service