Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

For those interested finding out more about the controversial Haringey Development Vehicle there is a public meeting tonight at 7pm in the Wood Green Social Club, opposite the Haringey Civic Centre, Stuart Crescent, Wood Green N22 5NJ.

Leaflet attached.

Tags for Forum Posts: haringey development vehicle, hdv

Views: 2503

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Report on the march and meeting (with vox pops), plus interview by Vanessa Feltz of Claire Kober, this morning on BBC Radio London. Link [lasts for 30 days] here (starts at 07.18, runs for 10 mins).  V Feltz has previously said that they (her programme? BBC London overall?) will be following the progress of the HDV.

FPR

Could you clarify what you mean by, "..loudly to ensure this currently hugely wasted land resource is wasted no longer"?

Are you referring to existing housing stock which WILL be demolished in the HDV as a  "hugely wasted land resource"? If you're referring to brownfield sites and empty plots, your comment is completely irrelevant to this discussion. The HDV is not about building on empty plots and brownfield sites. 

If you are referring to the estates and businesses as a "wasted land resource", then would you mind explaining the logic of demolishing existing council homes to build new homes which will no longer be council homes? Therefore the rent collected will be 50/50 with a private company.

What will be demolished are: businesses, council homes, a school, GP surgeries, community centres. 

If you're happy to see current council tenants and leaseholders pushed off into other areas of the borough, or London, then thats another story. 

as long as everyone that wants to be re-housed in the burough gets re-housed who might have to move, I'm more than happy with what I see.

Your comment above clearly shows the lack of knowledge you have about the HDV, yet you still speak as you do. Or, that you're happy with the ambiguous "promise" given to existing tenants even though deep down, you know very well that they will be screwed.

Well, cant argue with that evidence filled post can I? Do you work in marketing? 

Thanks, Anonymoose. It's difficult to try to conduct a sensible discussion, offer (hopefully) accurate information and respond with politeness when people make proposals like knocking down half Wood Green.

I'm also glad to find some common ground with Antoinette, and hopeful that reference to "all the low-life scum" was tongue in cheek.

Plainly there are very divergent views about what can and should be done about the housing crisis. And on the whole I tend to believe that most of the local people engaged in the often heated arguments do actually have the best of intentions towards existing residents and businesses.

In the past fortnight I've been lucky to have an opportunity to meet and listen to a wide range of people who have far more experience and expertise than I do. I hope that wiser views may prevail and at least Haringey leaders may defer and think again about the huge and risky scheme which we are still facing.

The cognitive dissonance presented by fellow HoL posters is incredible. They know full well what the outcome of the HDV will mean for current council residents, vulnerable families and people in temporary houses. Yet they will still post their support for it. Is it racism? is it middle class people showing their disdain for the poor? I dont know. I do know it's not logical.

A simple google search would have saved you some time.

Guardian

I guess you're another of the:

"We must do something, this is something, therefore we must do this" school of thought.

This is social cleansing by the back door.  Knock down the existing social housing, ship out all the low-life scum, rebuild with nice posh housing that will not be affordable.  Yes, it'll make a profit.  It's asset stripping and we should not be encouraging our own Council to do this to us.

I wonder if your home was threatened and future relying on "promises" and "commitments" by Cllrs who wont be around when it goes to pot, that you would be such an advocate for it. The bottom line is, based on you completely ignoring most of the evidence presented, you are happy for the, vulnerable, poor and the “ethnics” will get kicked out, and many shipped off to other boroughs or insecure homes because you might get to see a Wholefoods store in Wood Green or Tottenham one day and see middle class English people populate the east of the borough. You just don’t have the courage to admit it.

The status quo is more than adequate???  Hardly.  Have you seen the homeless figures recently?  I am personally pro-development - I am self-confessed SWIMBY (something wonderful in my back yard).  I want to see large scale, beautifully designed, innovative projects.  I want to see more housing and for it to happen fast but I don't think putting 2 billion of tax payers money into the hands of property developers with almost no oversight is the way to go.

You weaken your argument by bringing " class " into it

Define  " middle class "

Social class cam be a slippery category, John D. But surely not one we should altogether jettison. Crudely and mechanically used, it may not always be helpful. But how about the more nuanced approaches taken by academic writers about inequality?
I'm thinking for example, of Michael Marmot, Danny Dorling and Loretta Lees. I don't know if you've come across Michael Marmot's concept of the Health Gradient, for instance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-2bf205upQ

I disagree that it weakens my argument. When existing tenants in council homes, who are in the majority "working class"; and those in temporary housing are "working class"; demolishing their homes to build "affordable" private £450k luxury flats for the majority of people who wont be able to afford it makes it a class issue. 

When the council has a report which concludes that the likely outcome of the HDV is that it will effect "black people" and the least effected people will be "white people" because they're better off, it makes it a race issue as well as class. The logical conclusion of the HDV is that the poorer and working classes will get kicked out of their homes, and richer (middle class) people will move in  to create "mixed communities". 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service