Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Council Mounts Poster Campaign to Sell New Non-Free Green Waste Collection

Photo: Joyce Rosser

After switching from free green waste collections to a pay-to-collect service, Haringey Council has mounted a poster campaign urging us all to sign up and keep our community green. 

The new posters don't include the charges levels and I have not been able to find out what budget they have set aside for this campaign.

To learn more about Haringey's pay-to-collect scheme, see these posts. To sign a petition on this issue see this one.

Next week we'll be running a piece on Haringey's new green waste based TV series Game of Bins (GoB).

Tags for Forum Posts: garden waste, waste collection charges

Views: 1910

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmm - I wonder if there will even be a compost bin at the dump for those of us who have a car, or it it will just have to go into the household waste skip?

Was at the dump the other day Maddy, there is a garden waste skip at Ferry Lane site.

The implication of Hugh's title is that the current service is free. It's not, but it is included in the price we already pay. It might be free to non-tax-payers.

Under the new scheme the green waste will be composted, only it will happen in a land fill somewhere, perhaps more slowly then under the present scheme, and with no short term benefit.

The 20 bags for £25 proposal from Veolia sounds absurd. What sort of bag does not split when lifted if it contains just one hard twig amongst the nettles? Certainly not a standard black plastic sack. 

But as the petition sets out this proposal is ultimately counter productive. I have a big garden and trim it perhaps 3 or 4 times a year, so the additional cost to me at £75 per year is roughly £20 - £25 per collection (not £1.45 per week). I will find ways round the additional charge.

I rarely have large items to dispose of but I see neighbours using the current service quite often. At £25 they might well do something else.

And as for back gardens:

1) take a look at this planning application from which I have taken the picture below. 

2) there is a recent posting on HoL about a planning application where it is assumed that a substantial block of flats needs "no public space at all" because the residents can go to Finsbury Park.

You're right of course Adrian that it not free as we currently pay for it from Council Tax, but it's free at the point of use. I assume that the Veolia contract has been renegotiated in order to make savings. If those savings were being passed on to us as residents that would be one thing but what is happening is that Haringey are getting a cheaper service but we are all paying precisely the same amount of money in council tax. I haven't yet seen how this money is going to be re-allocated to other services.

I asked my cllr where the money was going but just got the stock answer from the Haringey website - to protect vital services like libraries & mental health services. But the cuts to libraries have been dramatic and already paid an extra 3% council tax specifically to cover mental healthcare

Yes the '£1.45 a week' claim is disingenuous - I've done quite a lot of cutting back in the garden this year but I doubt if I've put out even a dozen bags, so I definitely wouldn't pay £75. A better option would be to sell individual compost bags for a few quid which we could use as and when needed - some councils already do this.

That is a great idea and would work for us. 

Hi everyone.

My neighbours on both sides are families of tenants. I've recently helped both to cut down vegetation which has gradually been taken away in the current green collections. They don't have cars so can't take it to the dump. Will their landlords pay this extra charge? And other landlords?

But anyway. I'll talk to my street about sharing the annual fee and sharing the service. £7.50 per year for every 10 houses to share a bin? We won't all need it every week. Maybe other streets could do the same. Or those with cars could do an organised dump trip. I'd do it for an iced bun ;-)

Or we have a huge annual autumn bonfire! The 'Death of Haringey's Free Green Collection Memorial Bonfire'!

Anyway I'll sign the petition in the meantime.
Petition signed - 1309 people now signed up...
Most of the leaves in both my back and front gardens aren't mine. Do I collect the front ones, which come from trees in the road, and empty the bag in the gutter? Do I give the sycamore leaves to the tenants of the house 2 doors down? Going to make a lot of work for the street sweepers - and they won't differentiate between garden and ordinary waste.

The Council provides a location for the bags of green and other waste.
Spotted by Martin Ball and reposted with his permission.

The problem with this poster is the way it is worded.  I wonder if the Advertising Standards Authority would have an opinion on the matter.  It is advertising an existing service as new.  The difference is that the existing service is not paid for [ie included in council tax], unlike the 'new' one.  These facts are not made clear in the advertisement.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service