Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Is it with an A or an E    HaringAy or HaringEy

I have always been puzzelled ever since moving here from neighbouring Islington as to why there are two different spellings for this borough.

I'm sure there is a straight forward reason so please tell me.

Many Thanks

Joe 

Views: 1751

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HaRRingAY. Hugh's Wikipedia article is insightful, here.

Thanks John

I get it.

Cheers Hugh

I was much worse... I thought that it was Haringey, but that this website might be a gay guide to the area! In fact Harringay (2 r's and an a) is the local area around Green Lanes and Haringey (1 r and an e) is the whole borough.

I have always thought that the borough chose the - gey variant to avoid rude jokes about -gay

John - the borough of Haringey was formed in 1965 - don't think the current use of the word gay had entered into common use by then!

They initially wanted to be called the London Borough of Confirmed Batchelors but it never got off the ground for some reason.

It was Michael - maybe not common, but I certainly knew it.

See 1964 " Last exit to Brooklyn "

Haringey is the borough and Harringay is the area you live in within the borough!!

Thanks Louisa

If anyone else is puzzelled about the spelling of Haringay/Haringey/Harringay/Harringey or whatever you're having yourself, see Main Page - Right Hand Column - Very Bottom - 'Harringay or Haringey?' - and you'll find out more on the blasted subject than you ever dared hope. Otherwise I might have to write a comment meself. Then I'd have to go to the trouble of insisting it gets published. Life's too bloody short.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service