Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

See them at:

Harringay Ward Candidates
St Ann's Ward Candidates
Seven Sisters Ward Candidates

I'm told that pics and bios are on their way.

So that's full house except for LDs in Seven Sisters + any smaller parties or indepdendents. I know we have at least one independent in Harringay ward. Any others anyone knows of?

Tags for Forum Posts: 2010 local elections

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Would you vote for someone / a party taking a week to answer a simple question? Not a good start Kerry :-)
Give over John, it is a holiday weekend starting Friday and she'll be back in cyberspace on Monday. I think many of us will be elsewhere this weekend, particularly with Doctor Who and Ashes to Ashes being back on the box, yay :) and so as not to take us too off topic I will be starting a Doctor Who thread in the lounge at the weekend to discuss the new Doctor...
Well it really was a joke, Liz, maybe you missed the :-), but there again, I'm not sure that Dr Who and Ashes to Ashes should take precedence over a serious candidacy. Today's only Wednesday (or was ) and how long does it take to draft a post ? Or does she need to consult the party to get the approved answer ? It just didn't give a good impression.

And to Clive - yes I would base my decision NOT to vote for someone if they took seven days to come up with an answer. Wasn't there a post along those lines re Mr Lammy ?
WELL John, I think that given that politicians are human (most of them, most of the time) you are going to be in for a lot of disappointment in your communications with them even though your criterion will likely not permit you to vote for them!

As for David Lammy, he gets his share of criticism, including from me. However, I would be prepared to wait many weeks indeed if, after the end of that period, he came up with methods of addressing his government's flawed Gambling Act 2005, that had: serious intent and credibility.

The impression given, I'm afraid, is of seeking to appear to be a local champion in the run up to the national election with proposals that, while they will acheive publicity, will be of little or no use in repealing the most regrettable clauses in his government's Gambling Act.

I still credit him for raising the issue and hope he may yet abandon the hopeless and distracting notion of opposing "clustering" (of betting shops), that will succeed only in creating work for his brother barristers.

Only direct action – removing the clauses mandating market demand only – will work.

I'm not suggesting that that watching TV is what Kerry will be doing over the holiday weekend, only what I will be doing. It may be that she is doing something much better than that...but the point is we don't know and it is a little high handed of us to condemn someone for not being on the internet all the time.

Few of our local candidates respond immediately to anything we write to/about them on HOL, some barely at all. That Kerry has shown a willingness to engage should be a plus for her not something that marks her down. Given that she and other Greens are new to the site, I think the least we can do is take a deep breath before we rush to judge and give them time to put their pledges and beliefs in front of us. (Let us not forget that a good many candidates have not rushed to join the site despite declaring candidacy a month or more ago)

I think I would prefer Kerry to take a little time to consider this first issue that has been put before her and write a useful first post than give the rather rushed answers that others wearing different rosettes have published. It may not give a good impression to you but I am rather wary of folks who are too quick to answer perhaps and do not think through their reponses in their rush to be heard.

I know that some people (including some in this thread) are delighted that the Greens are standing here but concerned that they have decided to run 3 people which may split their vote. That as far as I can see, is the main issue you have raised here. The issue about Kerry not posting back immediately is trivial and a trifle personal and could easily be applied to any of the prospective candidates. Let us not derail this discussion with idle speculation about a single candidate.

That kind of thing, for me, is what really doesn't give a good impression.
IS THIS entirely fair John? I hold no brief for Kerry, but if you had a hundred people asking you simple but different questions, plus a whole lot of other commitments, would you always respond in a timely fashion? Would you base your vote for someone or a party on the basis of their ability to answer a question within seven days?

I believe it is performance over the long run that counts. Especially a documented record going back over a significant length of time where performance (such as speed or slowness of response) will tend to average out.

It is on partly on this basis that I conclude that the highly politicised Alexandra Palace Trust Board, is dysfunctional, hopelessly flawed, irreconcilably conflicted and chronically unfit for purpose. Over the years, the politician amateur controllers have burnt tens of millions of our money, in our Trust and on our behalves and it is high time the local council handed over to Independent Trustees who might know what they are doing!
Is this an April Fool's joke or has someone broken into Kerry's page? I had hoped to vote for a Green but this sounds very unprofessional.
I suspect that given the "welcome" they received they may actually be sitting down and having a chat over easter. I am actually holding my breath.
My reading ( maybe cynical ) of the first Green post was that " We're not very active (yet ) in Harringay ward but we're putting up several candidates to give the impression that we are " I would agree that there is a danger that the Green vote will be diluted between several candidates, but I have no idea of what voting system will be used and this may not be a real concern.
I'm troubled by the tone of this thread.

Perhaps I'm completely wrong in guessing that the majority of HoL members would see 'green' ideas and policies as central to life in the 21st century. And hope that all political parties would grasp this.

So I welcome anyone on the progressive wing of politics who's willing to contribute thoughtful, interesting and fresh ideas. Or remind us of valuable old ones we seem to have forgotten or ignored.

And it's not just about sustainability and protecting the environment. One perceptive 'green' idea, which strongly affected my own thinking, is that: How you do it, is what you get. In other words, if we really want empowerment and participation then the structures, culture, and ground rules of behaviour in our society also need to change.

So come on, Statler and Waldorf. That means you too.

(Labour councillor and candidate Tottenham Hale ward)
Councillor's and politicians hold the reigns of power so we need to be polite/fawning to them or else? Especially in the run up to an election when we are supposed to be questioning them?

That's not what you meant, is it?

This is serious Alan. What goes on in the next 36 days will, to a greater extent than anything else we can control, affect our environment for the next four years. I do not want three people putting themselves on the ticket so they can say "stood as a Green candidate in the 2010 local elections" on their CV. Frankly it rankles.

Hopefully they're away having a good rethink about strategy because someone needs to blow open this two horse race and they could be just the ticket.

Now, in this election period, if the past is anything to go by, we will be lied to and promised things that people who seek to represent us cannot deliver. This is the time to be rude and not take people at their word. After the election is the time to be nice and polite to our representatives, treat them with respect and provide them with our support. No matter who they are.
As usual, John, you raise important issues which need a long discussion. But let me try a short reply.

I'm really not asking for fawning and sycophancy towards elected politicians. There's already more than enough of that on Haringey Council. It's thoroughly unhealthy and feeds the prevailing top-down systems, and the "Big Man", favours-given-favours-received culture which you and I have discussed.

But the alternative to deference is not rudeness. Sure, ask all candidates robust, searching questions. Expose the gap between what people promise and deliver. Do we understand and believe what we say, or are we just mouthing the slogans to get elected?

But Green Party candidates in our borough do not hold any reins of power. Before people ask them - and all other candidates - hard questions, let's first see what they have to say.

(Labour councillor and candidate Tottenham Hale ward.)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service