Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Wightman Road Residents' Groups was excluded. A curious decision given the current controversies.

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 3839

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

The group's first meeting has now been postponed with barely 24 hours notice. All I can say at this stage is that  one can only guess at the reasons (which I'm reliably informed are more that just about the recent change of guard). 

No doubt Emina will keep us informed.

I thought it worth responding to a few of the comments here. Before anyone sees any kind of conspiracy in my silence, I have not done so before now because I have been pretty tied up with work commitments.

The membership of the group (as I understand it) is as Geoff has indicated in his earlier post, with the addition of Wightman RA (which I have not had confirmed, but makes sense). I hope to attend on behalf of the LCSP.

The remit of the Steering Group is as set out in the document Geoff posted- to advise, rather than make decisions. I see this as feeding in of ideas from the community and being able to use local knowledge to try to better understand issues and possible options. The Steering Group's other main task is dissemination and feedback into the community, to update residents on progress. I believe there is also a plan to hold public meetings, similar to the one last year, to engage the community directly. These meetings are to ensure residents are able to hear directly from the consultants and councillors, feedback their own ideas and let their opinions be know.

So far this has been a slow and tortuous process to get going, but the council have been committed to being open about what it is trying to do, and inclusive. Cancelling at the last minute as they have is not a great start, but we have to give them a chance to see how this process works. See the fact that this is happening at all in the context of stinging budget cuts across the council and I think this is a brave step for them, especially seeing as how many people they have reached out to to be on the Steering Group. I do not know the context of why some groups were not invited, but they did make clear at the outset that one key element from their perspective is the size vs effectiveness of the group!

As to the LCSP position on what is happening, I think you were a little unkind John in stating "From what I know of the LCSP it will be a pro-traffic vehicle as the committee members I speak to are oft to tell me when they have a chance that the traffic isn't that much of a problem". I am not sure I have heard anyone make a statement that in context would be seen as any reasonable observer as 'pro-traffic'. My observations of the group’s members are that they are all committed to taking their time to try to make Harringay a better place for everyone, and they are keen to find a solution to the traffic problem they and many other feel blights us.

The LCSP sub-committee on traffic has an open membership- anyone on the Ladder is able to join, though we may limit numbers if we end up with a significant number from any one street to maintain balance and keep the group manageable.

Those of you who are LCSP members will be welcome to regular monthly meetings where I will feedback to the LCSP, and feedback will also go to members in the minutes. I am sure I will be on HoL too.  Should anyone have ideas, concerns, or want to get an update as to what is happening I will be available, and will be happy to take time to answer reasonable questions.

Justin

Chair, LCSP Traffic Sub-Committee

Thanks Justin.

How can individuals become members of the LCSP?

And why has the number of stakeholder groups been reduced by over 50%? It comes across as a rather selective group tbh.  Eg, why only South Harringay schools, not Chestnuts, North Harringay, Park View.

Has the local CAB and its associated groups been invited to comment?

As far as I am aware, anyone can be a member of the LCSP, they have members who are non-Ladder residents, I guess because so much of what happens is cross boundary. Send me your contacts and I will pass on to the right person.

As to stakeholder groups- no idea why they have been reduced. Honestly, you will have to ask the council is the best I have to offer. I am not sure who has been asked to join the group, and (potentially) how many people declined to send reps or are working together as I believe N& S Harringay Schools are...

Thanks again Justin.

One more thing; wouldn't it be easier if the chair/secretary of the LCSP just posted on here asking people if they want to join the email list so they can get minutes, dates of meetings etc? But I appreciate everyone is a volunteer and these things can just mushroom - BTDT!

So I can put the LCSP, but not some of the members I have spoken to, in the "less traffic, fewer HGVs" group?

Their monthly emails deal with "rough sleeping" on Green Lanes but until you joined, not a single mention of traffic. Frogs not noticing the warmer water or as I've surmised, their eyes towards Green Lanes?

Put what you want John, but just make sure it is factual. I know we all use words from time to time like 'loads of' , or 'most' and they rarely have any quantitative grounding but what you put was just wrong.  I cannot speak for the wider LCSP fraternity. I am sure some members utterly disagree with what is happening, the only issue I have ever seen anything close to unanimity on for example in the scientific community is climate change. So, I doubt this issue will trump that!

To be fair, I have been a member of the LCSP (like you I suspect are by virtue of being on their mailing list) but I became active when there was an issue I cared enough about to take time to do something about it. isn't that how things sometimes get done? 

Not sure about your frogs reference, you might need to explain that one!

Hello,
I live on west green road, at the green lanes end. I'd like to be involved, which residents associations from this side of green lanes are involved? I don't think we've had an invite to our RA.

I guess Woodlands Park RA- see Geoff's comment earlier. Geoff I believe is part of this RA, is that right Geoff?

It doesn't look like our RA is on there, how can we get involved? Thanks
Abi, have you checked the map included in one of the earlier postings to see if your road is in the study area?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service