Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A letter just dropped through y door asking for feedback. Here is mine:

"I hope the council considers the permanent closure of Wightman Road. Gradually commuters and long-distance drivers are realising they need to either use alternative main roads, or switch to public transport or cycling. The study shows that residents overwhelmingly do not own a car (61%), and prefer public transport, walking or cycling for their commute (82%)."

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 7108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They didn't used to, but at some point earlier this year or last they were given a vote to pay to maintain the barrier or to have the road permanently closed. I can't recall the exact course of events or the result, but I seem to remember that the vote was not to pay, but there had to be a re-vote.....or something. I've lost track after that. Maybe a Gardens resident can help me out.

When we moved in we had to pay £25 for the access card. This was 13 years ago. I voted for the yearly payment option but never found out the outcome of the consultation.
The Haringey website doesn't mention a charge for the entry card
Sadiq Khan unveils action plan to battle London’s toxic air
https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/mayor-unveils-acti...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/sadiq-khan-unveils-new-10-...
Sadiq Khan's £10 pollution 'T-charge' for older cars added to London's congestion charge
Highly polluting vehicles, broadly registered before 2005, will be hit with the extra £10 charge
But Catherine Shoard in the Guardian said that all the drivers in Harringey had new cars so it shouldn't affect most people here ;-)
http://www.citymayors.com/report/congestion_charge.html
In 2003, London Mayor Ken Livingstone, introduced a central London congestion charging system to general acclaim at home and abroad. Despite the prophets of doom and even concerns raised by some supporters back in 2003, Central London achieved 30 per cent fewer traffic delays inside the charging zone, compared with the period before charging was introduced.

" . I think bigger cars should pay more."

Why ?

I don't have a big car so I don't care but I don't see how your suggestion helps the traffic problem.

The bigger the engine the more pollution they create. ..

Oh on that basis maybe. But we already have a system where bigger cars pay more - more expensive vehicle tax, more expensive parking permits, more expensive insurance.

However, people who want big cars are prepared to pay more.

The new mayor is also planning to bump up the congestion charge for older vehicles - as a driver of a larger, much older car (which is extremely fuel efficient actually) I can't afford to trade up to something smaller and newer, even if I wanted to.

I walked from Hewitt to Mattison today and looking up the ladder roads cars were parked all the way up these roads, which suggests that there is very little room for extra parking. Similarly, when I ran along Wightman most on Saturday morning, there were cars parked outside most house which I assume weren't commuters parking for the train station, which makes me question the 38% figure. Was this a definitive figure from every household or only from responders? I would be concerned about reducing parking on Green Lanes as it could have a detrimental effect on the businesses and we could return to the bad old days of every other shop being a pound shop or 'cafe'. Why not make Wightman one-way, south to north, with a two-way cycle path. This would prevent cars going up the ladder to get on Endymion and also alleviate the congestion on Green a Lanes by distributing the traffic heading east or west.
Yes, a red route would devalue the High Street, defeating the objectives Outer London Funding set out to achieve, improving our high street.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service