Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Tags for Forum Posts: consultation, harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 6641

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes I did think that too, I'm imagining lots of leaflets in recycling bins. However I haven't had a leaflet yet so they haven't been round the whole area.

I don't think there is any other choice but option 4 – filtering Wightman.  If the community could be reassured that Haringey Council and TfL would put in mitigation to prevent the repeat of last year's traffic problems then I believe it would get wide spread support. Last year's issues caused by the bridge works were precisely because nothing was done to mitigate the shift of traffic from Wightman – in a way perhaps it was a good thing because huge lessons have been learnt and it paves the way to quickly and simply implement it with the benefit of knowing how to mitigate the problems caused last time. We are not talking about closing Wightman we are asking for it to cease to be an end to end road.

Tinkering hasn't worked in the past and it won't work now – it needs to be robustly rejected as an option. We as a community have a chance to make a real difference now and before the planned regen of Wood Green happens because if we don't we will be swamped with even more traffic than we have now (as the Wood Green plan has a primary route planned which will funnel traffic straight up Wightman).

One way in either direction will need extensive mitigation and the cost of putting in an end to end cycle lane on Wightman (which I would love) I believe would be prohibitively expensive.

Filtering has to be the preferred option.  It delivers all our objectives and will protect us from future expansion of Wood Green.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to make a real difference to our community – we miss it at our peril.

Let's be brave and courageous and choose the option which as Knavel says will deliver the most radical and transformational change for our area. Let this be our legacy to future generations.

Well said!

Wightman can't continue being such a polluted rat run and so non pedestrian/children/resident/cyclist friendly - particularly with the oncoming development of Wood Green on horizon and all the additional traffic that will bring. This is a chance for some bold 21st century master planning that serves the community well. Survey will be here from 3 April

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/transport/green-lanes-area-transport-study

Does anyone know what the mitigating measures are/could be? I hear the phrase a lot but I can't see what can be done other than building more crossings over the railway.

Maybe this will be answered in the documents we'll see on Monday. I'm hoping the consultants have modeled the effects of the proposed options, and show what mitigation measures will be needed, so we can make an informed decision on which options to support.

There are no mitigating measures that can square the circle of closing Wight man Road in my view. If there had been some avaliable they would have been put in place during the bridge rebuild. I am utterly not reassured that any such measures exist. The chaos caused by the closure ruined many people''s daily lives including mine.

And had the opposite effect on many other people's daily lives, including mine.

It had a huge impact on the lives of anyone who has to use Green Lanes or Turnpike Lane as part of their commute, whether in a car or on public transport.  At the time most people on this forum just said they should be cycling instead of using buses but the air quality on Green Lanes over the summer was disgusting.  It was like breathing smoke.  (And I speak as someone who walked up and down every day to Manor House, past the stationery traffic belching out fumes.)

The problem we have with GL is that because all the surrounding traffic measures funnel traffic into it, anything causes congestion. Yesterday early afternoon I walked from Manor House to the GL post office and traffic was backed up past Manor House on to Seven Sisters Road heading north and way up to Turnpike Lane heading south. The cause? One lorry parked at the corner of Endymion and Green Lanes lifting what looked like wooden beams over the fence into the baseball area of Finsbury Park. Just one lorry caused all that chaos.
If simple actions had been taken during the bridge closure that people living locally had called for again and again, like removing parking on Green Lanes, it would have gone a long way to alleviating the problems (and yes, There were problems). That's why I'm so disappointed with what seems to be on offer here. It's just back to the same old damn tinkering with stuff that got this area into the mess is is today plus what seems to be adding to the burden Wightman already suffers by turning it into a relief Road for Wood Green.

Simply making that road a red route would stop this surely?

They won't make it a red route because the Traders Association are adamant that if people can't park on Green Lanes they'll all go out of business. Or something. 

No, the traders need access to their shops from Green Lanes for supply because someone has built over all the mews in behind.

The majority of cars parked on Green Lanes are not delivery vehicles.  The Iceland lorry parked at the bus stop in the morning rush hour is pretty annoying, but most of the vehicles are private cars. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service