Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Tags for Forum Posts: consultation, harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 6622

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's faster to walk then.  It couldn't be more than 25 - 30 mins walk from my door to FP station.

Not with a broken toe it isn't.
And this is an attitude that I find very disrespectful to those less able to walk; it is not acceptable to say "oh you should just walk for 30 minutes". Not everyone can and nor should they be expected to.

Please don't equivocate:

No one is saying you have to walk (although I didn't know a broken toe was a permanent condition). But if someone cannot or will not walk, then be prepared to take 45 minutes each way (per your anecdote). 

The attitude that I find very disrespectful is that you and those like you think that I should suffer 2500 cars on my street everyday so that you can save 15 minutes because YOU want to drive to Finsbury Park.  Not everyone can nor should be expected to compromise their collective lives so that you can save a few minutes.

Who says I am driving to Finsbury Park?  I'm taking a bus, like you and everyone who is so anti-car tells me to; I'm doing the "right thing" not clogging up your road.

She was talking about getting the bus, not driving a car.  Why should the 1000s of people who take the buses up and down Green Lanes every day to get to and from work have to add another 30 minutes to their journeys, just so you can up the value of your house?  Or perhaps you think everyone should just reduce their working hours and salary so that they can add an additional 30 minutes to each end of their commute?  It's not like schools are going to open earlier or close later. 

Alternatively you can also take the train to Harringay station from Finsbury Park station.

But they're infrequent (not every 2 minutes) and cost more than the bus if you don't have a zone 3 pass. A bus lane would solve the problem. Perhaps the council will relent by the time WooGree is the new SheBu.
So I ask again...why weren't the "mitigating measures" put in place during the bridge works. The project was 3 years in the planning...they didn't just forget. Choices were made. And the choice was to do nothing. Care to come up with an explanation for that?

I find it really interesting that the main objection people feel is the inconvenience of having to do things differently. Why give that greater weight over the evidence of excessive pollution levels right where we live-levels that we know improved during the road closure btw. There's a real desire to make this an 'opinion' based argument-but it's not actually about that imho. 

We know that traffic counts and pollution monitoring showed that the traffic and pollution dropped and there were fewer car journeys through the area from outside it- despite the closure having been appallingly implemented with almost no signage and hideous congestion initially. So on balance any sane person might argue that it's a no brainer. We know what the benefits can be, we know what happened when it was implemented really badly. Also we know that if you restrict capacity -cars will go elsewhere. People don't use Crouch End as a north south through route because they can't rat run off the main roads- which in turn caps the capacity and makes the cars move slowly and forces those not living in the area to look for more 'flowing' routes.. which is where wightman rd now comes in. 

I'm sorry you had to pay fines for late pick up- that must have been awfully stressful, but I also wonder why you didn't make different travel choices instead? eg: tube to Manor house and walk from there(prob more like 20 min) or overland train to harringay & walk (10 mins). 

Also, just to say - your idea of removing parking from Green Lanes so that traffic flows more easily - while it sounds logical, is out of step with the evidence for what actually happens in these situations which more follows the principle of 'build it and they will come'. Thats not my opinion by the way but we now know is the counterintuitive 'truth of traffic'. see this article for example from the US: https://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-traffic-induced-demand/

As for wake up and smell the coffee - quite- the glaring elephant in the room is that current traffic levels are unsustainable.  Let us count the ways- air pollution, road safety for vehicles pedestrians and cyclists, damage to roads by heavy and high volumes of traffic and therefore higher costs to local authorities/ environment/health/ and not the least the high levels of UK personal debt for car loans. 

We all could do with a wake up to that..

The council have updated the page saying the consultation will be online from the 3rd April here: http://www.haringey.gov.uk/transport/green-lanes-area-transport-study

Thanks for that Julie. My worry though is that people who tried getting into the webpage yesterday and saw nothing might just give up and not try again.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service