Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Tags for Forum Posts: consultation, harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 6689

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Of course, because it's in Central London and 5 minutes from a huge station. Ally Pally isn't 5 minutes' walk from a major transport hub. But people clearly go there now by public transport. And when Wood Green is the major attraction of North London, perhaps everyone will go there on Crossrail.

Be good if HoL admins could repost this fact and somehow keep it on the 'front page' for a while. As others have said - many people may have tried to comment and given up.

Bumping this up
Reply to Antionette because the thread is full
I don't think the mitigations were put in place because -
1. The scheme was temporary and mitigating actions would have cost just as much as if it was a permanent measure
2. They would have all had to be undone when the bridge reopened costing even more
3. The traders vetoed the one that would have probably had the most impact - suspending GL parking.

Like I said earlier, Michael, suspending parking on Green Lanes would have cost tantamount to nothing - a few hundred quid maybe to draft a TMO.  A parking suspension would simply have reverted to it's previous status at the close of the parking suspension period, costing nothing at all to reverse it.  So that leaves us with the one we all know to be true and that is the traders vetoed it......and therein lies the problem.....they always will.  Talk of "mitigating measures" that will get the approval of traders is just pie in the sky.  

Can someone explain to me how it is that the Traders can veto a Council proposal ?

Where do they get that power ?

Thank you Michael for pointing out the vested interests of the Green Lanes Traders and the effect they have on local traffic, I don't think it can be overstated, neither can their lobbying power. I'm at a loss to understand why parking and loading/deliveries can't be limited to outside the rush hours.

Antoinette, I'm sorry you suffered from a broken toe whilst the bridge-works on the Gospel Oak - Barking line was happening. I have also had a broken toe in the past and know how inconvenient & painful it can be. It was interesting to discover that TfL's stats during the closure suggest that delays were minimal M-F and only at the weekends were there significant delays.

Charlotte A, I've attached a copy of the rail timetable for Finsbury Park to Harringay which shows there are 6 trains an hour, so every 10 minutes approximately and the journey time is 2 minutes. I know it is a bit more expensive, but certainly not a fortune. I'm surprised that anyone living on or around Green Lanes doesn't have a Zone 3 pass

At the end of the day it's all about personal choice, however air pollution isn't.

Attachments:

I couldn't understand why the stats for increased journey times are so much less than what I, and many others, experienced during the WR closure last summer. The delays were certainly not what I would class as minimal. We can't all be imagining or exagerating them. I have read all the materials this morning and noticed somewhere (it took me 2 hours to read everything and I can't remember where) it said that some of the stats are averaged over a 24 hour period so this might explain the difference between the stats and anecdotal experiences.

No, the journey times weren't averaged. They looked at 3 hour slots during the day both before and after the bridge closure. You can see the figures and the discussion about them by following the link below

http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/bus-journey-times-since...

I've found where it's mentioned, page 63 of the existing conditions document: 

"3.50 It is important to emphasise that these results do not necessarily capture the full impacts of the closure on vehicle journey times. This is because there were also instances where queuing and delays occurred outside the OD cordon, which means that they would not be captured by the OD surveys. These changes are also based on average travel times across the entire 16 hour time period that was surveyed. This means that any larger changes in travel times (that may occur during busier times of the day) may be masked by smaller changes during quieter times (for example late at night)."

Ah, we're talking about two different documents. The one I've linked to was data from a Freedom of Information request I made to TfL and definitely wasn't averaged in that way.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service