Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Looks like Turnpike Lane and Ducketts Common will receive a little sprinkle of Olympic magic dust as the torch makes it's way across the London boroughs.

Tags for Forum Posts: ducketts common, olympic torch relay, olympics

Views: 702

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the reminder - full timings for the torch in Haringey here.

Saw a tweet from Haringey council today saying that the final torch bearer in Haringey (the final leg up to Ally Pally) will be none other than Daley Thompson! But I'm not sure how far each torch bearer runs/walks, ie will DT be carrying the torch down Turnpike Lane/Hornsey High Street, or will we have to go nearer to Ally Pally to see him?

Yup, I added a post about Daley at about the same time you were writing here. The answer to your question is on that post, I think.

Ah, thanks Hugh.

So we will have to decide whether to go up to the Palace to see Daley, or whether to watch the torch go past the end of our road (Hornsey Park Rd).

To help everyone plan for the event, I'm passing on the latest "nuts and bolts" information on the Olympic torch procession and the consequential road closures. 

David Schmitz

Liberal Democrat Councillor for Harringay Ward

On Wednesday 25 July 2012 the Olympic Flame will come to Haringey, travelling through the borough before arriving as the climax to an official celebratory event at Alexandra Palace.  The torch will arrive in Haringey at 5.20pm, journeying from Enfield down Fore Street and into Tottenham. The torch will travel along the High Road to Bruce Grove, turn into Lordship Lane and along to Wood Green High Road, proceed south to Turnpike Lane, before turning onto Hornsey High Street, to Priory Road, and finally up the hill at Alexandra Palace Way to arrive at Alexandra Palace at approximately 6.45pm.

Approximate times at which the Torchbearer will reach key points on the route:

17:21 Fore Street A1010

17:23 High Road A1010

17:36 Bruce Grove A10

17:43 Lordship Lane A109

18:06 High Road A105

18:15 Turnpike Lane A504

18:19 High Street A504

18:27 Priory Road A504

18:35 Alexandra Palace Way

18:46 Alexandra Palace Celebration Stage

The logistics of the journey through Haringey

The torch convoy consists of 14 vehicles, and will take approximately 15 minutes to pass a single point. As well as security and support vehicles the convoy includes a media vehicle with national and international television camera crews as well as sponsor vehicles distributing keepsakes, playing music, telling the stories of the individual Torch Bearers and engaging with the crowds.

Traffic management on the route will be undertaken by the Metropolitan Police Service who will oversee a rolling closure of the road in one direction, controlling traffic at major junctions and preventing normal traffic becoming part of the convoy.The police will be supported by traffic marshals and pedestrian stewards, and by additional staff from other services (for example cleaning team, and vehicle relocation crews in case of obstructions).

The only significant full road closureson 25 July will be:

Wood Green High Road between Lordship Lane and Turnpike Lane , from approx 17:30 to 18.30

Alexandra Palace Way between Muswell Hill and Beford Road, from 00:01 to 22:00

Lordship Lane between Bruce Grove and High Road N17 from 16:00 – 18:.30pm (this is not on the torch route but is to enable safe crowd movement).

There will also be some additional parking restrictions and bus stop suspensions. Advance warning signs about traffic disruption on the route were in place approximately one month in advance of the relay and the Council is doing letter drops in specific areas to notify residents and businesses about the impact of the event.  London Transport is publicising information about affected bus routes.

To ensure that the Torch Relay is accessible to all residents, specific viewing areas disabled people and specifically for wheelchair users. Due to limited capacity these spaces are managed by a ticketing process. To apply for a place please ring Tanya on 020 8885 5199 or email

David, since the whole Olympic Movement from 753BC to 2012

has, very wisely, devoted its collective mind towards safely

bypassing Harringay Ladder on the evening of 25th July 2012,

why doesn't their Torch simply come down Fore Street, hop the

W3 from Northumberland Park direct to Ally Pally and save us all,

including the Met, the bother of bothering?  I don't know why

they didn't ask my opinion when I discussed the matter with

Pindar at Olympia on that exceedingly pleasant evening towards

the end of the 50th Olympiad in 554BC. 

Great. More stupid olympic disruption. I wish the whole thing was over. We can't use the roads, we can't get to work, but we're expected to pay for it. Nice. Why is it so exciting watching some plum with a burning stick?

Great Zeus! Anette seems to agree with me.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service