Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Furniture store being advertised for Queen's Head despite planning conditions

I've just picked up a tweet from John McMullan with the following text and picture:

Ha ha! Queen's Head Harringay kept as a pub... and I laughed and laughed and laughed.

My understanding is that planning permission was granted with provisos that included:

the applicant retain the use of the ground floor of the building as a public house. A feasibility study would have to be conducted using a team approved by the council if the applicant wanted to, in the future, change the use of the ground floor

At the very least, it appears that the developers are acting in bad faith.

I've been on the phone to planning and was told that the decision has yet to be published with these provisos.

Perhaps our councillors might intercede on this if possible.

Tags supplement: More conversations on this topic in the Friends of the Queen's Head Group

Tags for Forum Posts: queen's head

Views: 5353

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And I've tweeted them to see if they'd like to venture into the lion;s deb - what a welcome!

And to think we were concerned recently about the apartment developments. I thought to myself: ah well, maybe not as I would have done but if good use is made downstairs of a local Edwardian institution very much in character with area and indeed contributing greatly to this character, then I guess one must live with development upstairs, times being as they are and perhaps needed housing, etc. Now I feel like a naive mug. Big yuck.

David, how is this a breach of planning control?

I seem to remember that one of the councillors was pro getting rid of the pub. A councillor that has actual historical experience spanning many years who noted that this pub has for the majority of its life had been troublesome.

Again i repeat, if the people who are arguing to passionately for the retention of the pub, went to it when it was open, as I cant believe anyone would honestly admit they frequented the place regularly and ignored the drugs, fights and police busts, rather than complain now that it is closed, is in my mind quite pathetic.

Well done to that new tenant,

Well done for wanting to invest in the place,

Well done for creating new jobs,

Well done for having the “balls” to spend in such an economic climate

Well done for having the vision where by hopefully new customers come and visit the high street and maybe purchase other things

Well done for wanting to better a place that has been recently stigmatised with drugs and violence

Do any of you who complain for such a venture live in the real world? How do you expect a community pub to survive when a PLC Giant could not make it work?

If you want a community centre, why don’t we campaign the Council to free up some local government owned properties that are just left vacant, or being sold:

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/business/availableproperties/prope...

http://www.castles-estateagents.co.uk/home/properties/7502/for-sale...

Not being (totally) snarky, but I doubt anyone is going to pop in at the other shops if they've come to buy a bed or a table. And I'll be amazed if any genuinely new jobs are created. In terms of social good, decent pub > small identikit business about 95% of the time I would have thought.

Also I don't think anyone (well, nobody I've noticed) is arguing for it's retention as was under the last incarnation, more that as a long standing community asset there was potential there (analogous to the Salisbury and yes, the late lamented Oakdale) for a good pub.

Oh all right then, not a pub. How about a cafe/restaurant? I can't help recalling a conversation I had the other day here in USA (where I am at the moment) about Bush's first public announcement after 9/11.....which was to urge us all to go shopping. I thought to myself: how crass and AMERICAN and so beside the point and so contrary to the values important to me which I hope might be important in the place I live.

I understand your point of view, Mike, but as Liz says, it's often a matter of finding the right Landlord. Most of the Salisbury's clientele wouldn't have set foot in it until it was renovated. Just down the road we have another example with The Finsbury. Over the way, look at what's happened to the pubs on Hornsey's High Street. I'd say the potential for the Queen's Head was there. The reason people care is that be it London or deepest Devon, pubs remain places where the community gathers. As they're swept aside, people see their community under attack.

We should also add that under David's management and plc backing, the Old Ale Emporium has become a much more welcoming and attractive asset to our High Street which, like the Salisbury, is involved in the community also by helping the planning and sponsorship of the Harringay Festival. It can be done.

There is not a cat in hells chance that a Turkish furniture store there, of which we already have two on Green Lanes, will encourage "new customers come and visit the high street and maybe purchase other things." 

No, not a community centre. A pub. A decent pub. There has been a pub on that site since the early 1800s. We can't know what it was like for most of its life, and it was only when it became a 'sports pub' that severe problems emerged. It was, I understand, a 'rocker' pub before that. Maybe not a gastro pub but frequented and popular. By your reckoning, a pub like the Salisbury which was a revolting hole 10 years ago should have disappeared because once a pub has a reputation, then it should be closed down. Fortunately for us another plc came in and restored it to a high standard, thereby giving a community back a pub that had been 'lost'. 

It also appears you are not remotely bothered by how the new owners have appeared to run rings around the planning dept at the council. 

Gastro rocker pub... hmmm... there's an idea... <strokes chin>

I'd go

Hmm.. not sure the Salisbury could ever be described as a community pub, but I think I get what you mean..

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service