Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Major events in Finsbury Park generate a substantial income for the borough and it is up to the council to direct how the majority is spent.

However, organisers of events also pay an 'environmental impact charge' of up to £10,000 per event, which is supposed to be used to fund priority improvements to the park identified by FoFP. The total so far from the events in 2014-15 probably amounts to around £30-40k.

I asked one of their members about this last week in one of the many threads about Wireless Festival, but got an evasive answer. So I asked the council - their response:

"I can confirm that we have not had a conversation with the Friends about this opportunity this year. In the past they have made it clear that they do not wish to have any involvement in the spending of any income raised from events, let alone what they might prioritise in terms of investment of any money collected as environmental impact fees."

In other words, they are turning down the chance to use money which is already available to make much needed improvements to the park simply because they are unhappy with the policy to host major events there.

Whatever you happen to think of the major events - and please use one of the other threads if you want to continue that discussion - their failure to take advantage of this opportunity is very disappointing and clearly doesn't represent the best interests of all park users. I hope they will reconsider their position.

On a more positive note, perhaps we can use this thread to suggest some small scale improvements for the park which can hopefully be taken forward by the Friends if they can be made to see sense. For example, think about about minor enhancements which would improve the environment or accessibility of the park - perhaps new planting schemes or some more benches which would make visiting easier for people who need to rest at frequent intervals. This funding isn't for general maintenance and repairs, which the council looks after, or about making good damage from events, which is the event organiser's responsibility.

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park, finsbury park events, fofp, friends of finsbury park, funding, improvements

Views: 4304

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would like to warn members of HOL that HRH Queen Elizabeth ll is obviously an impostor, hiding behind a pseudonym, since the Queen is not referred to as HRH but as Her Majesty.

Nice try Ms Kober, but no coconut.

Aha John. If Queen Elizabeth II used her correct title it would not be a pseudonym. Using HRH is disguising her true identity (as is the cunningly clever picture of a man playing a mandolin)

Anonymity is fine in a debate, in fact I would recommend it if you're going up against local politicians. However having an obvious axe to grind (pro council) like localist is bordering on astroturfing. Tell me I'm wrong and that you don't work for the council or have close familial relationships with the a local councillors family and I'll leave it. I'm not asking you to say who you are, just declare your interest.

I've checked on what I've been posting and can't find where else I've asked you this. Was it a long time ago perhaps? I tried to check on your page for answers but it's private.

Would you like to meet me for a drink down the Salisbury? Now, later this evening? I'm sure it would be better to sort this out face to face than chase one another around on various threads.

Maybe this one John.
http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/events-at-finsbury-park...
Third from the bottom of the page

Oh I see now. I missed it because it wasn't inline as a reply to me and just said "Nope, neither" which I presume is that they are neither a council employee nor do they have close ties to a councillor. Thanks Michael.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service