Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

After picking up on Urban Harvest on HOL a while back I saw a post about groups organising to pick fruit in their local areas (http://urbanharvest.wikispaces.com/). Being an avid jam and chutney making fan I responded to see if anyone was organising anything on the Ladder/ Gardens area. It looked like no one was, though I had a couple of people alos respond saying they were interested in doing something together.

This post is to see if there are others who have an interest in harvesting some of the unpicked fruit from the myriad of fruit trees growing in the Ladder/ Gardens area- I have a Conference pear tree (though I am never sure how good the pears are from it if I am honest. However, I have been lucky enough to have excellent neighbours who have been happy to share some fantastic conference pears from their tree (which sadly has been decimated by the landlord this year, so we look forward to next year). I have always wanted to find a source of cooking apples, and always lusted after some figs from the trees I can see around the place.

It would be great to see if there are others with a similar interest in urban harvesting, swapping recipes and knowledge. What I hope to do, if we get enough interest, is:
• Get together to meet an organise (a bit) in a couple of weeks time
• Identify some trees to pick from in the area (and possibly start creating a ‘fruit map’)
• Put some dates in the diary to meet up and pick in the autumn

So, if you want to spend a bit of time harvesting, for the owners of the fruit trees that may be picked, yourselves, friends and family, or others than can use the fruit such as community groups etc then please let me know. Please mail me with your email address, phone number and address via HoL and I will put your name on a mailing list (please let me know that you are ok with me sharing details like email addresses with others on the list or not).

Tags for Forum Posts: fruit harvesting, fruit picking, urban harvest

Views: 924

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

By the way Angela, what is or where is NHP?

Parkside is excellent, I must have made best part of 50 jars of jam from their fruit just before I went away in early August! Just remember to take your own tubs or reuse the ones they gave you the time before and they will take 50p off the cost of each punnet!

Definitely interested  -but when and where guys?

Also very interested in this, great idea! I don't have a garden so can't offer up any fruit trees I'm afraid but let me know about plans to harvest. And thanks for the Railway Fields blackberry tip!

We have already picked at least ten pounds of wild plum from Tottenham marshes and blackberries look like they'll be ready about now. Plenty of time for figs and our pears still l
Like bullets. Apologies smartphone typo

The estimable Gemma Harris of Urban Harvest and Finsbury park Transition would like to hear of any plans to pick fruit from street or other trees, and she has access to a hand cranked apple press for juice. Here at Tree Tust for Haringey we get contacted by people wanting to know how they can get a tree felled that drops messy fruit on their crossover. I tell them to eat it or give it to their neighbours etc, and they think I'm mad. I should be so lucky..Don't forget Apple Day, Oct.14 in swanky Crouch End. Bring your windfalls to be juiced....

Thanks for the tip Peter. I met Gemma a few weeks ago before I sent this post out to get an idea about what we might want to think about. I hope she might come along to one of our intitial get togethers to help us plan.

I'd be interested Justin. I have just planted a new plum tree in our garden. Our neighbours have a plum and an apple and they don't seem to be interested in the fruit, at least they weren't last year.

definitely interested. We just moved in to a place on hewitt road, while we haven't got to grips with garden at all,we do have green cages and cooking apple trees (and both seem pretty laden with fruit). Will message you privately.

Hi all, sorry for the slow response, I was in France when I sent the original post to get something moving but did not want to advertise the fact.

OK, so we have a few folks intersted which is excellent. I think we need to do a couple of things to plan, including working out where the fruit trees are we might pick from (If you have any suggestions you have not already shared let me know, I am keeping a note) and get a couple of dates in the diary. To do this it would be great to meet up. Can I suggest Tuesday the 4th Sept (the first evening I have free at the moment) in the Salisbury? Please let me know if you want to come along?

Also, I also have a Saturday pencilled in for picking, Sat 6th Oct, morning or early afternoon. Put a note in your diaries.

Doh. Thanks. Ammended it, Tuesday the 4th!

What time.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service