Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I would like to propose that we set up a 'Friends of the Harringay Passage'.

This crucial 'spine' of the Harringay Ladder has been neglected for too long and maybe a community group will get their voices heard by Haringey Council more effectively than a few individuals.

The aims of the group could be:

- to keep the planters looking nice,

- work with the council to design out fly-tipping hot spots and remove street clutter

- design a Masterplan for making the Passage work better for pedestrians

- street party at the widest section, between Effingham and Fairfax!

Let me know if you are interested, and if enough people are then we could have an inaugural meeting in January.

Regards

Adam

Tags for Forum Posts: friends of harringay passage

Views: 4677

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gina, I think we all applaud any group that does good for the community, but just as there's space for the Friends of Duckett's Common alongside the LCSP, I think there's no duplication in having a FoHP. To my mind anything that broadens community involvement should be nurtured and encouraged. So I think this is a great initiative and we should all support it.

I'll be there, Adam.

For those who may have missed it, a few of us did a Harringay Passage audit last year, the results of which Michael posted here.

.....and I almost forgot, I made a short video with Adam and Liz explaining what the audit was about:

For clarification's sake, could you explain what the LCSP is? I've never heard of it I'm afraid.

Thanks,

C

Have a look at the entry on HoL's (rather neglected) wiki. It's strong on crime and safety and keeping a watch on what's happening with local planning issues, but it does get involved with other issues too and it's contribution is to be welcomed. It's not a residents' group in the same way as the Garden's Resident's Association which is more focussed on a wider range of community activity and is very active in setting up local events.

(I've just updated the Wiki with the new venue for the meetings, but would be grateful if someone could confirm that the meeting times are still good).

I must admit I've lived around here for the best part of ten years and this is the first I've heard of the LCSP. A little more publicity may help in getting people interested.

They were offered full and free use of this site back in 2007 and the offer remains open.

Ladder Community Safety Partnership.

http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/844301:Topic:4303

All due respect to Hugh, but the Wiki entry makes it sound as if it's all about Green Lanes which it shouldn't be.

The LCSP would certainly be a good starting point for any new "Friends" group. I've been involved with them for the past 8 years and Ian who runs it is a wealth of information, expertise and advice. I certainly think there is room for a group to take over the general upkeep of the passage in terms do keeping it clean and tidy and welcoming for all residents but there are aspects which the LCSP is running very nicely so both groups should be complimenting each other. Nobody wants duplication because endless meetings means that for the exception of the very hardy things run out of steam! As I said previously I support any groups which works together to make our local area safer and nicer.

It's a Wiki, John. As I'm sure you know, Wiki's rely on contributions from as many people a possible. Feel free to ask for access and then you can update the entry to better reflect what you see as accurate.

(But, as you may notice, John, my Wiki entry was taken pretty much verbatim from the post by the LCSP that you linked to. So the Wiki entry is pretty much in their own words!)

I was at a recent meeting of the LCSP (in November 2013); not sure if it was the same one attended by Therese, but there were definitely more than five residents present!

In terms of the Wikipedia entry referred to by Hugh in this thread, the purpose of the LCSP and its constitution do not appear to have changed since that entry.  However, the meeting venue HAS changed in the last month - the LCSP now meets in the hall next to the United Reformed Church on Green Lanes at 7pm on the second Thursday of each month.  The meetings continue to be open to any local resident wishing to attend, and there is regular representation from the local Police and various Council services - John Forde from Single Frontline was there at the November meeting, for instance.

I agree with Cllr Alexander's point about groups covering the same or similar ground and a preponderance of meetings, and also with Cllr Adamou's comments on the good work that the LCSP has done over the years.  If people using this site don't know about this group, I hope they will not only find my post helpful but will also wish to get involved in the LCSP and help to further improve the Ladder for all.

Thanks. I updated the venue yesterday. As a result of your comment here, I've changed the meeting start time from 7.30 to 7.00.

I appreciate that Hugh, and meant no criticism of you. Wherever the information comes from, it seems to me that for a Ladder Partnership they place a lot of emphasis on Green Lanes. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service