Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The government has suggested it may slash funding for the free travel scheme enjoyed by tens of thousands of elderly and disabled Londoners.

Minister for Transport Sadiq Khan said his department will review the £58million that was previously earmarked for London town halls to subsidise the pass in 2010/11.

London Councils, the umbrella body for local authorities in the capital, says each borough may lose up to £1m in funding, leaving councils with the unenviable choice of picking up the tab for the concessionary off-peak fare scheme, or making cuts.

More

Tags for Forum Posts: buses, freedom pass, older people, public spending cuts, public transport

Views: 223

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Liz and malcom
I posted this: "means testing (which was what malcom was argueing for) is inherently built into the system". This point was ignored by him,

malcom suggested paying cash to folk for busfares as an alternative to passes:
Giving every eligeble person the cost of a years bus fare (every year) on every bus route here and in europe instead of a bus pass needs to thought through 'from anothers point of view'.

I thought it churlish (at this time of year, christmas, geddit ?) to argue that folk would, even though they would not need to, apply for and use a pass simply because they can.
i ended by asking malcom to 'feel the love'.

It does get boring when you post a perfectly sound comment only to be posted back when your comment has not been read or simply ignored making you out to be a fool. This happens one in three times to me. Its a form of 'selective hearing' which is why i often offer my spectacles.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service