Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I do like the grauniad data blog....

they have mapped all the positions of London Fire Brigade call outs from the first day of the Blitz 7 Sept 1940.

If you visit the Guardian page you can see the full map, but at 2332.......

Tags for Forum Posts: history, history of harringay, local, world war II harringay

Views: 666

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for that Mark.

Looks like Harringay had the honour of being the recipient of the bomb that fell furthest to the north in London on the first day of the Blitz.
According to other histories, bombs fell in Tottenham (Ida and Dagmar Road) and in Finchley on that 7th September, so perhaps not..
Could they have been the night of 7th Sept, so would register in next day's data.

If they do it all week I will see if I can do something fancy with the data, but I am sure someone will do a better job.

Also I do remember an excellent map I downloaded from the HoL site a couple of years ago that had all the local ones mapped in by hand.... I will look for it....
This map, Mark?
That's the one. Absolutely terrifying no?
The Hornsey Historical Society published a map of bomb incidents in Hornsey Borough, but if you want Tottenham as well the London Metropolitan Archives map is where to start.
Yes of course it was, but in the end it helps to see the wider picture and London never suffered anything like the RAF & USAF raids on Germany, with the blockbusters and phosphur bombs which once they set people alight could not be extinguished.. killing as many civilians in one night, than were killed in the whole of the Blitz on London..

I always find the British way of remembering the war very one-sided.. The RAF & USAF also commited very many war crimes.. blowing up dams and drowning thousands of innocent civilians.. and these actions went on and included Hiroshima & Nagaski.. but the cop out is always .. they started it** or we had to win the war.. Winners of wars can always bend history to suit themselves.. and the 'jolly hockeysticks' films in the 1950s about the war never show any of the casualties..
http://www.google.com/images?q=feuersturm+hamburg&oe=utf-8&...

BTW on Radio 4 this series of Blitz programmes including German Cities:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tkqs3/The_Blitz_Plymouth/

**which isn't quite true.. Britain declared war on Germany on 03/09.39
When I read that StephenBln I think of this book (or if you prefer this one). Undoubtedly all abysmal acts. My dad would have said what you say in your para 2 - but then he was there so his view is probably more valid than mine. At the risk of starting a new thread I'll stop there.
Funny (peculiar, not ha ha) - one of the first 10 pics that come up on the Hamburg Feuersturm link is very clearly of the ruined Coventry Cathedral.
Britain declared war on Germany on 03/09/29 - AFTER Germany invaded Britain's ally Poland in flagrant disregard of international agreements.

Our way of remembering the war may be very one sided - how else could it be when we didn't round up and exterminate millions of Jews, homosexuals and gypsies. We do feel ambivalent about Dresden and Hamburg, but I have never heard a German apologise for Coventry or the East End.
Oh John..

1./ What did Britain or France do for Poland after the Germans invaded?

(space left empty for the emptiness of Britain's accord with Poland)

They left Poland to it's fate.. it was termed the phoney war..remember?

Absolutely nothing, like they did nothing for rest Czechoslovakia, part of which they had signed over to Hitler, or Austria which wasn't actually a victim, was actually more Nazi than Germany, but managed after WW2 to convince everyone it was a victim..

2./ The point that Betheny made
about Coventry's photo is that Coventry and Dresden are twin towns and that there have always been close relations between Coventry & Germany, that's why It's comes up on a google search.. German schoolkids are taught that the bombing of Germany only came because of retaliation for what the Nazis did to Rotterdam or Coventry.. The Germans know exactly where the blame lies for WW2.. They don't need to be told by little englanders living in the past..

OT: Shame your favourite Tory party couldn't be honest for once about Churchill, who was reviled by the pre-war often pro-Nazi Tory upper classes.. a good example of changing history to fit the needs of the day..and BTW if you want to mention concentration camps, they first appeared in British South Africa in the Boer War, when Boers were interned and murdered by the British.. But of course, like most things, the Germans took a British idea and did it more efficiently than British ever could..
I'm not sure I really want to get into this, as it's not about Harringay (which is rather the point of this site), but my point about Coventry (which is my home town, by the way, so I'm well aware of the Coventry/Dresden history and was reminded of it nearly every day of my childhood by seeing the ruins of the beautiful cathedral and the concrete abomination that is Coventry city centre, not to mention the family story of coming home one day to find the front door had been blasted, upright, halfway up the stairs) is not really to do with the particular link with Dresden - it's rather that you can't look at the effects of the bombing on the one side without looking at the effects on the other - google won't let you. Maybe it's just one more wonder of the internet...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service