Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I have just received this from the council regarding parking arrangements in relation to concerts in Finsbury Park.

As the council didn't bother to listen to residents views on more concerts in the Finsbury Park we can expect this to happen a couple of times a year!

Local residents are clearly being inconvenienced by this - anyone who has visitors on these dates have to make sure they supply additional visitor parking permits and in turn incur additional cost.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any thoughts or issues with this.

-------------------------------

Dear Cllrs,

Finsbury Park Concerts: May and July 2014

As you may be aware there are two large music events taking place in Finsbury Park this year.
To minimise inconvenience to local residents that may be caused by indiscriminate parking by event goers it is proposed to temporarily alter/add to the parking restrictions in the area.

The first event is due to take place on Friday 23 & Saturday 24 May 2014 between the hours of 4.00pm and 22.30pm and the second event on Friday 4, Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 July between the hours of 12.00 midday and 10.30pm.

For the first event the following parking controls will be in operation on event days and I will advise of details for the second event nearer the time.

Implementation of the Finsbury Park B & C CPZs 8.30am to 8.30pm

And

Extension of the operational hours of parking control from 6.30pm to 8.30pm in the following roads:-
Wightman Road
Railway Approach
Warham Road
Pemberton Road
Mattison Road
Duckett Road
Cavendish Road
Burgoyne Road

Umfreville Road
Woollastone Road
Atterbury Road
Cyprus Close
Salisbury Road
Kimberley Gardens
Cleveland Gardens
Chesterfield Gardens
Doncaster Gardens

Warwick Gardens
Roseberry Gardens
Devon Gardens
Rutland Gardens
Essex Gardens
Grafton Gardens
Stanhope Gardens
Portland Gardens
Sussex Gardens

And extension of the operational days and hours in the following roads;
6.30pm and 8.30pm on Friday 23rd May
8:30am and 8:30pm on Saturday 24th May

Alroy Road                              Conningsby Road                               Endymion Road
Lothair Road North                 Lothair Road South                             Tancred Road
Venetia Road                          Green Lanes, between the Hackney borough boundary and Endymion Road

This means on the days and times listed above, vehicles must not park in any residents/business parking bay on these roads unless they display a valid Green Lanes CPZ (GLA & GLB) permit or visitors’ permit.

These restrictions are the same as those employed during last year’s Stone Roses concerts in Finsbury Park and appeared to work well.

We will deliver letters to all affected properties approximately two weeks before the event outlining the additional parking controls. The event organisers will also deliver letters to properties in the area around Finsbury Park, including properties in Hackney and Islington, providing details about the event and contact telephone numbers for issues or complaints, again two weeks prior to the event.

In addition to the parking arrangements detailed above Seven Sisters Road will be closed between Green Lanes and Hornsey Road from approximately 10.15 pm to 11.00pm to ensure safe egress for the large numbers of people exiting Finsbury Park and heading towards Finsbury Park station.
This has been discussed and agreed with Transport for London and the London Boroughs of Islington and Hackney. Diversion routes will be in place and advance warning signs, including electronic signs on approaching major roads in the two weeks prior to the events.

If you have any queries or would like to discuss these arrangements please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Tony Casale
Network & CCTV Manager

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park, finsbury park events

Views: 1080

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Arctic Monkeys and the Wireless Festival 

I agree with you here. Finally some cool stuff on our door step and we don't have trek to Hackney for gigs... Personally, i'm looking forward to it. 

Dee, big concerts damage our public park through the scuffing and gouging of heavy machinery and vehicles. The amount of litter discarded during these events is extraordinary and the pick-up is one of the major tasks in the week-long, disruptive tear-down.

Although the first of the regular-sized concerts occurs the day after the election, it will be preceded by c. a one week disruptive build-up. Ordinary residents – those that use our public park on a regular if not daily basis – will be able to see a hint of the Labour Executive Cabinet's forthcoming huge-concert policy.

This provides for five x three-day mega concerts, with c. one week's build-up and tear-down on each side, in the middle of our public (not privatised) park, at the height of the summer.

This will be a big impact on our park. For many local residents, it will not be cool stuff. Some residents worry that, seeing the bellwether Stone Roses concert as a bellwether, we will see  more crime and antisocial behaviour (such as drunkenness, urinating in gardens).

-

Cash, not music-driven: our Finsbury Park is expected to fund not only all its own maintenance and the maintenance of all our Borough's parks, but on top, to make a big contribution to the general fund. By depriving part of it to all but wealthy, paying customers.

One of the practical, reasonable compromises suggested by local (Liberal Democrat) Councillors was that we have more small concerts. However, the Cabinet Executive looks only to the cash receipts.

Majority Group Councilor Adamou's main contribution to that meeting was that more cash should be generated from park rental. Local residents had no influence at January's three-hour "Scrutiny" meeting and subsequently, still less at the non-existent, Strategy Group that was promised.

The primary function of a public park is as a public park. Many of us (including me) do not have the advantage of a private garden and value all the more, quiet enjoyment of a public park on our doorstep.

Disclosure:
am a prospective councillor candidate
Highgate Ward | Liberal Democrat Party

Thanks for posting this Karen.

I'm pleased to see the Council acknowledge that residents, at least to some extent, will be inconvenienced. I note the first date shown is the day after election day 2014, which may be convenient for a certain party.

I was surprised at the length of the list of roads affected. Parking is only one aspect of the likely impact of course.

The Network and CCTV Manager referred to last year's Stone Roses Concert. Parking restrictions may have worked well for this concert, but if he had attended the three-hour Scrutiny Committee in January, he would know that although the impact on parking was mentioned, there were other aggravations for local residents.

The forthcoming two, two-day events may be a foretaste of the likely impact of the future five x three-day events that the Labour-run Council Executive has decided on. The Council misled about the extent of the increase repeatedly, leading to the repeated use of "disingenuous."

I do not believe that the newly-formed Finsbury Park Strategy Group (now styled "Stakeholder" Group) – if it still exists – will ensure that "residents have a voice on the future of events in our park."

Their voices were ignored in January.

Disclosure:

Hi Clive

I am pleased to see this too, I am sure Karen and David would have heard the concerns of residents too had they attended the 3 hour scrutiny community meeting. Their absence was duly noted and rather surprising considering the fact that Finsbury Park in its entirety is in Harringay ward.

Emine Ibrahim

Labour Party Candidate (Harringay Ward)

Labour's long-running democratic farce

Phil: yes, farce is right.

OTOH, both the Liberal Democrat Party Leader and Deputy Leader – though not members of the Scrutiny Committee – sat at the table (as Councillors for Stroud Green Ward) and made detailed, considered comment.

This included suggestions for sensible compromise (e.g. lets see how we go with the current increase in Concerts this year, before committing to the really big increase the Labour Cabinet Executive had decided on the previous month).

It was disregarded. What galls me about this meeting was the level of deceit exhibited – including the misleading that preceded it, followed by the near-empty promise of the now barely existent "Strategy" group.

A show of listening to residents was made.

Three hours of residents' time were wasted. Once, the truth came out when a council officer let slip that "we" want more concerts (more like, the cash receipts from rental). I thanked him for his honesty, a commodity that had been lacking in the promotion of this Labour-run council's policy.

The Consultation had been a farce, assisted by repeated misleading about the size of the increase.

The Concerts policy affects not only adjoining Wards, but neighbouring Boroughs, none of which are happy about it.

Disclosure:

Hi Phil

The sale of Finsbury Park? I need to be clear about what you are suggesting as the park has not been “sold”. There has been concerts there since I was a child and that was a very long time ago.

I am not speaking for the council this is MY view. I strongly believe in supporting and promoting public displays of art and culture and believe even further that it plays and important role in our political and cultural identity. I really think that strong popular culture is being destroyed by the idea that we simply switch on our telly and experience it through MTV and it’s led to this X-Factor generation of highly produced perfect make up and lighting experience of music. I don’t know about you but I kind of want to have the opportunity to see Bob Dylan even if he gives me a dud note in the middle and has sweat on his forehead. Perfectly airbrushed Arctic Monkeys through my Ipod isn’t really what it should be about even though Clive and Karen may prefer that.

What is NOT acceptable is allowing the promoters to parachute in take the money and run and leave residents to deal with the aftermath. I want them to contribute more and want to see clauses which absolutely bring them to task if they fall short of their responsibilities. I also think that concessions should be offered to young people in the borough. It’s only great for the borough and the local area if local people across the borough feel they have a stake in it, that’s why I agree with Clive that’s it must be a genuinely inclusive group of people involved, although I doubt our ideas of inclusivity are the same. I think it is only then that it can be truly a public and cooperative experience of music and popular culture.

I don’t share Clive and Karen’s view that Finsbury Park is an extension of Clive’s back garden in fact I rather think that a manor house in Berkshire would fit Clive’s desires better. That said all residents should have the opportunity to enjoy this beautiful PUBLIC park without it being constantly occupied by vans and trailers.

You may note that I have on many occasions asked Clive on here to answer to the fact that he and Karen and David were invited to the meeting that he claimed had not been organised, they refuse to answer in their responses to any questions I ask. I also notice a clear refusal by the Lib Dems unlike you and OAE (even though you may both disagree with me) to even give me the courtesy of addressing me by my name. I find that discourteous and rude and rather telling of a general attitude.

The truth is asking questions in the form of passing on questions from here to the officers is great but rather easy – simply requires the ability to navigate a key board to copy and paste as is copy and pasting responses from officers. Just give residents the right email address and cut out the middle man if that’s all a councillor is.

Answering questions? well now that’s a challenge! Providing credible alternatives to the policy – hmmmm now that would require some actual thought.

Emine Ibrahim

Emine,

Some of us are foolish enough to believe that where councillors such as Karen and David constantly hear the concerns of residents over four, eight or a dozen years is where residents actually reside. Most of us, thank God, don't reside at one off 3-hour scrutiny meetings, whether they're labelled "community" or not. Your rather silly comment has been duly noted by me and my wife. It will be at the forefront of our minds in the polling booth at SHIS on May 22. I shall also duly pass this on to the rest of the family who reside in the ward.

As for the wider questions that arise from your comment, well Phil K has just expressed them much more knowledgeably than I could. Enjoy your remaining fortnight of scrutiny, and give Gina my unrequited love for the very last time.

Hi OAE

Much as it may surprise Karen, attending scrutiny meetings to represent the views of residents in the ward is an important part of being an elected member and very much connected to the expenses package all members receive to effectively represents members. Whilst I agree collecting petitions is great, using them simply to farm email addresses to ping out literature is not really what those who sign them really want. I don't speak for the council as I am not a member of the Council - Karen is. I will say that I lived opposite the park in the 1987 and can say I heard Siouxsie and the Banshees loud and clear then and have been hearing your voting intentions loud and clear since my selection

Wow someone who actually grew up in the area and really cares about it - and thinks it important that Cllrs take their responsibilities seriously even if the temptation of Eastenders is far more luring! Oh ghosh these silly naïve ideas I have - really need to have 8 - 10 years of cynicism knocked in to me before I even dream of standing for election

So whilst I may be heartbroken that your heart remains elsewhere I am sure I will somehow find a way to make it to May 22nd with some semblance of hope.

Emine

Wife? WIFE??? WIFE!!!!

First Alan Stanton and now OAP... I need a rich old man to marry soon, I need inheritance! Any offers? 

Story of my life TBD... One day I'll find my Hugh Hefner of Haringey...! :(

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service