Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Live Nation has been and gone and left behind considerable damage to Finsbury Park - see the pictures taken this morning.

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park, live nation

Views: 984

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Slight error - if complaining about Live Nation / Festival Republic their email address is

FinsburyPark.residents@festivalrepublic.com 

not the Krankbrother address given above.

Konrad!

• What value is there in complaining to the council's customers?

• What locus or purchase do residents have with them?

• Is the sole reason that promotors hire our park from the council, not because they make huge profits?

• Is the sole reason that Major Events occur in Finsbury Park every summer, not due to the landlord, Haringey Council, and the policy of the Ruling Group?

I suggest that residents potentially have a tiny and severely limited amount of influence on elected representatives, but zero leverage on council's big corporate customers.

One of which is a gigantic global music monopoly whose "TicketMaster" subsidiary is the subject of attention from the DOJ in the USA.

Clive,

You seem to be commenting upon the contribution I made on Friday correcting an error made by Giovanna.  I was pointing out that if comments were about Live Nation / Festival Republic then they should be addressed to them not to Krankbrother.  Are you suggesting that I should not have provided this correction?
I think therefore that you should be addressing your comments to Giovanna who suggested copying complaints to a “council customer”.
NB It is the policy of the Friends of Finsbury Park that comments should be copied to the event organiser.  As both you and Giovanna are trustees of the FoFP you could perhaps discuss this policy when next you meet. 
As I noted on 23 July I had emailed the council leader, the cabinet member for culture and leisure, five ward councillors and two council officials about the state of the park.  I hope that this has your approval.

Morning Konrad!

Corrections are always good and I certainly approve of your directing comments to the actual underlying, facilitators of damage to our public park.

Principal responsibility must lie at the door of the current council leader, who endorses the policy of park privatising.

GRIME

Grime has long been part of the fare of council customer Festival Republic, a part of global music monopolist, Live Nation.

This style of music has been criticised for mysogyny and homophobia

These themes are blasted into three Boroughs by the council's customer. I would have thought that such themes are not necessarily part of "Labour values".

However, the "Rebel Council" leader has turned a blind eye to these aspects and to the foul language. Before becoming elected leader, Councillor Ahmet endorsed this kind of music, claiming that Grime is about "working-class struggle".

The message to residents seems to be: suck it up (using an unlovely phrase of one of her colleagues).

Agreed that this is unacceptable and upsetting. I wasn't as informed about the events this July (see my first point below), but not sure if other neighbours had the same observations? I can't find any retrospective information on the council's website:

• This year no letter drop happened (on my road anyway), informing us of timings, access routes, who to call for noise/disruption etc
  • Access to the newly improved Skate Plaza was severely cut off, I thought it was meant to remain fully open?
  • Access via Seven Sisters Road Gate along the railway to Oxford Road gate and further to Hornsey Gate was once again highly hazardous and not compliant with DDA best practice - especially after the heavy rain, it was nearly impassable on wheels. As a public right of way this is questionable unless we're expected to take an inconvenient - and by bicycle dangerous - detour around to enter via the path alongside the cycle storage?
  • Blind corners created by the high fencing was also an issue. As was the morning someone with dogs decided to verbally abuse anyone cycling at a slow and safe pace giving as much space as possible (i.e slow enough to be stopped by this person to be shouted at) - the problem was really that everyone had been squeezed into a narrow strip, with little viable alternative

If I recall correctly, Tough Mudder was unceremoniously barred from FP for causing similar type of damage. Whilst this was a separate issue, it possibly could have been better managed as a much smaller event to minimise damage and still enable a one day, small scale charity event to happen? One that didn't block off the majority of the park for weeks with high security fencing and attendant H&S, amenity access and safety problems...? As it was, outraged letters and so on about Tough Mudder were out of proportion with the usual lacklustre council response to the damage and disruption caused by much larger scale music festivals.

On the plus side, as a regular cycle commuter through the park, I was pleased last winter to see lighting installed for part of the way. When it's switched on, that is. It was transformative - 6pm on a winter's evening would still have people out exercising, walking dogs etc., in better lit and safer conditions. Small steps!

You can also sign this petition if you want to voice your objections to these concerts

https://chng.it/vPsdtdSX6R

KRANKBROTHER is up next.

It's now the turn of the north-side of our park to be trashed by another of Haringey's big corporate customers. With full council approval.

Near the south-eastern corner of the newly-bloated site, some remedial measures appear to be on stand-by (near the mini-forest, planted by volunteers).

There awaits up to 30 big builder's-type bags of bark, ready and waiting to try to so soak up mud, ruts and scouring etc.

Everyone expects harm to the park surface. Surely only irresponsible owners would repeatedly rent out assets when they expect damage?

The Council's official Stakeholders are decided strictly by the council employees and all aspects of the meetings they dominate, is controlled by the council. Is it because Councillors and council staff feel no personal stake in a public park?

———

There was a suggestion abroad that, in order to see if ticket-holders exceeded the maximum permitted (10,000?), resident volunteer(s) could stand with a counter, checking how the numbers of customers.

This is impractical for these reasons:

1. Any counting provided by residents, volunteers or non-council employees would never be taken remotely seriously by the council or their "officers" for any reason. The council has shown time and again it cares little for the views of residents about our park.

2. Counting thousands of persons—over hours—entering and leaving in groups or hordes, is unlikely ever to be reliable. The council will rely on their client Krankbrother for any numbers. If customers all agreed to approach in single file, neatly spaced out, then they might be able to be counted accurately.

3. In any event, any responsibility for checking numbers must be down to the Landlord or the Licensing Authority—in both cases, Haringey Council. Neither have any incentive to enforce Licensing conditions: quite the reverse. The ruling Council Group have a policy of hiring out any and all Haringey's parks.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service