Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I have been down to Finsbury Park to have a look at the the plans and talk to some of the Haringey Council staff about the possible plans for a 5 a side football scheme. Its just initial consultation to gauge public feeling in the area - worth going down for look and a chat.

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park, finsbury park 5 a side, parks

Views: 841

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

People who've emailed Mr Mun Thong Phung or Cllr Dilek Dogus in the last few days should have heard that both are on leave. Cllr Dogus is due back on Tuesday 28 September and Mr Phung on Monday 4 October. I've been promised a reply from Mr John Morris, Assistant Director by 8 October.
I have had a reply now. Haven't really digested, but here it is:

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the proposal to develop the large tarmac area at Finsbury Park into a 5 a side football centre.

A decision has not yet been taken about whether or not the Council proceeds with such a development on the site. If a decision is made to explore this development further I can reassure you that further consultations will be undertaken at the appropriate time – which would include the planning application process

In response to the specific points you have raised;

Aspects of the development, if it goes ahead, will be modified in response to comments received. For example some of the tarmac area may not be developed for the centre and left for general sports use (as well as still developing the old tarmac area by the tennis courts.)

Users at the centre will be encouraged to use public transport, walk or cycle to the centre. Therefore it is likely that if the development goes ahead that no additional car parking will be provided.

The football centre will provide for substantial free access to local schools and community groups at off peak times.

The centre will be able to cater for other sports besides football.

Potentially the Council and residents are likely to benefit in terms of a first class sports facility at no cost to the local community, an annual rental, and additional capital investment in the park.

I would confirm that the purpose of the consultation was to generate views on the benefits and dis-benefits arising from the proposal, and all comments received through the online survey, postal responses, online forums and letters will be considered as part of the process for determining the Council’s future approach.

If you would like more details please email Erica Owusu-Boateng directly at Erica.owusu-boateng@haringey.gov.uk

Kind regards,

Cllr Dilek Dogus
Cabinet member for Adults and Community Services
Alison, this begins to look like some progress, as if they've been listening with at least half an ear.
You're being sucked in. I told you the carparking was a negotiating ploy. When the options look like this:

1.) no commercial development in Finsbury Park
2.) some commercial development in Finsbury Park

we'll have progress.
No, lads, not being sucked into anything as I think my intended midnight emphases indicates: 'this begins to look like some progress, as if they've been listening with at least half an ear.'

No, not the beginning of a slippery slope towards a ringing endorsement of Dilek's response to Alison. I think we all know what Haringey 'consultations' are worth. But then I think we may also suspect what interminable HOL 'discussions' may also be worth.
I'm with you OAE - I think it does look like some LIMITED progress.

By the way - for me, clearly not for others, this is not entirely about commercial versus non-commercial development within the park, and I feel a bit uncomfortable at the suggestion that anyone who cares more about car parking or what gets done with the site is just misguided.

I await the consultation results with interest!
Alison, take a stroll down Mary Neuner Rd and see how many car parks there are. 80 is nothing. I'm saying it's a negotiating ploy because they (the commercial developer earmarked for the job) would be over the moon with 20.

I'm not saying anyone's misguided, just that I think the council are pushing our buttons (and hitting home) with the car parking.
There are more "wills" in this response than the more tentative "if" or "would" :

In response to the specific points you have raised;

Aspects of the development, if it goes ahead, will be modified in response to comments received. For example some of the tarmac area may not be developed for the centre and left for general sports use (as well as still developing the old tarmac area by the tennis courts.)

Users at the centre will be encouraged to use public transport, walk or cycle to the centre. Therefore it is likely that if the development goes ahead that no additional car parking will be provided.

The football centre will provide for substantial free access to local schools and community groups at off peak times.

The centre will be able to cater for other sports besides football.

Potentially the Council and residents are likely to benefit in terms of a first class sports facility at no cost to the local community, an annual rental, and additional capital investment in the park.

Doesn't this give the game away and put the "Consultation" into perspective?

As you seem so confident Clive, that the consultation is entirely spurious and cynical, with a decision already made, perhaps you'd like to join John in his longjohns jogging along Harringay Passage, should both of you turn out to be wrong?
Alan, I'd be happy to be proved wrong and hope that everyone's representations will be heard. I appreciate your own representations in this matter.

As a former lawyer, you might agree that the way words are used is important. I do think that the response from the Executive Cabinet member could and should have been worded in a neutral way and not to leave the impression that the decision has largely already been made, with minor details to be influenced by the local troublemakers (i.e. residents).

With this kind of careless use of words, the intention of the council is made all too clear, as well as the stage that the "proposal" has already reached. The whole proposal should be couched in terms of if it goes ahead.

I think the weather's getting a touch chilly for the sort of wager you mention. Like John, I'm from downunder but perhaps I'm more temperature sensitive.
Just got an e-mail from Erica Owusu-Boateng at Haringey Council saying that the results of the consultation should be posted on the Haringey website by the end of this week.
On 11 August, she told me they would be there on the 16th, ie five days later. So I'll believe it when I see it...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service