Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Sunshine & 18 degrees max today. Stalls: 116. More food. More live music. Two stages. Kids crafts. Open 12 noon - 6pm.

9 months in the planning.

The people making it happen and street scene 8am Sunday 18th Sept 2011 (click on images for detail if you want);

[ NOTE: Now other post festival chat & photos being added as well ]

Rob Chau; event organiser (Harringay Traders)

Shef Mehmet; event organiser (Harringay Traders)

Andy Newman; event organiser (Garden Residents Assoc or GRA)

Local police

Veolia cleaners

' V ' = volunteer (ie. no pay!) Some are council employees

Volunteers

Rob Chau's sister, helping out (with list of 116 stalls). Rob's wife and son were also helping out this morning.

Local resident (of 35 years!) Pemberton Rd

Looking North (outside Railway Fields)

Salisbury stage; programme of events

Old Ale Emporium stage; programme of events

There's a 'green' angle to this year's festival (as well as food and music). Hand prints from local school children. School choir singing Salisbury stage later.

Tags for Forum Posts: Festival, Harringay

Views: 4189

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We had a great time. In particular I thought all the children's activities were fantastic, very well organised, lots of variety, with enthusiastic and helpful volunteers. Wonderful that local schools/children's centres and charities were there so it felt genuinely like the local community were involved and represented very positively. I think our boys had a go at most things (bag stamping, flower making, mini beast making....brilliant). Great to have an environmental theme. Festival far from drab. I could write about the food for hours, lovely. Thanks to everyone who must have worked so hard.
I wasnt there but looking at the pics, it looks far from drab and a big improvement on the previous one which was like a trial run really. Like Liz says, it's all a big volunteer effort. Sounds like some real characters present, eg. the Pharoah. Mind you, I may have seen him round Sainsburys some time....
Drab? Respect your viewpoint, P, but you've lost me there. Homespun for sure, but I wouldn't want it any other way.
a bit Grimsville UK, Best thing for me was discovery of a nice Turkish cafe / restaurant, well decorated, no plastic seats or flourescent lights, good food. wasnt expecting rio or the mardi gras just a good local street festival, the whole thing thing needs to be spruced up and a be a bit more imaginative.

It looks like a fantastic festival and a great time had by all. Sorry I missed it by being away for the weekend. I hadnt been impressed at all by the previous one at all but this looks like something definitely worth attending so wont miss the next one, inshallah!

Great pics.

I walked down from Manor House tube around 8.30 pm on way home and was amazed by how clean the street was already with just a few revellers continuing the fun in the Old Ale Emporium. I hope local businesses made some dosh for their efforts. Well done everybody

Matt
Great snaps - shame the one me is not so good - that was at about 6.45am was it not.
We are all over the moon with the result - with that feeling of the Old Stoke Newy High St Festivals of the late 80's and 90's

Andy Newman - GRA and GLF Festival Organising Committee

Caught you early yes, after our chat.

I remember those Stokey festivals of the mid-90s. Sound systems everywhere. Yesterday was a real buzz. Needed it ,after the mayhem of early August. Well done Andy. This doesn't really happen anywhere else in the borough. Move over Notting Hill. :)

It was great, thanks to everyone who made it happen.

I thought it was better than the last one too - more variety with the food and some great other stalls. I was really impressed with the Chestnuts school stall which was selling amazing cakes etc - I hope they made some money. And great things for the kids to do. 

And any idea how many people visited?

Thank you Alison - I was one of the organisers of the Chestnuts stall (I'm co-chair of the PSA). It was hard work but a really great community day out. And it was a great start to our new term of fund raising.

I didn't have much time to take it all in, but did manage a trip out to get some lunch and was really impressed with the variety and range of food on offer. My only regret is Sophie's Ice cream van closed before I could go back and make a purchase.

We'd love to hear any comments from anyone who had our Saltpig Canteen pulled pork sandwich! Good and bad comments welcome! It was our first time on a food stall and have much to learn still!

Feedback - there's a good idea. Didn't try this myself. Had some interesting vege pie concoction, very nice after a few pints. :)

What did everyone else have for lunch/dinner - favourites?

Hi Billy Hole,  Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated and we'll work this into our next event.

We were hard pushed to balance high quality, British ingredients, not skimping on spices in our rub and sauce and keeping the prices affordable. Our prep work is very labour intensive and the meat is marinaded for 24 hours then slow cooked for 10 hours so it all adds to our bottom line.

We did a bit of scouting at other festivals and found that £5 came in slightly lower than other outfits who were offering something similar.

Thanks again for the feedback. Hope to see you at the next event

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service