Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

When I moved to the area two years ago, I was clearing my overgrown garden and was bitten by very small fly like insects, which was followed by severe swelling and itching.

After a hiatus last year, they're back. Apparently our warm, muggy and wet summer has created a 'perfect storm' for biting insects, and I'd have to agree.

So far, I've been bitten around half a dozen times. Where I hadn't noticed them before they had their fix, on my arm, leg and foot, the swelling is impressive, the itching has been phenomenal. This time I wasn't gardening, just sitting out in my garden and for the first time I was bitten elsewhere - in Fairland Park.

Fortunately at the weekend I was able to catch a few and I'm posting them to Haringey's Pest Control Team for identification. I've attached a poor photo of a few of them.

I've heard from someone else that a child was bitten in the leg and couldn't attend school as the swelling was so bad. Has anyone else been bitten?

Tags for Forum Posts: insect bites

Views: 7744

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep I was bitten a few weeks ago on my upper arm and my swelling measured at least five inches across. I was just, taking in the washing when I was 'attacked'. My bite was definitely from a midge which your photo looks as if they could be.

And I used to love summer in London because the pollution was so bad there were no midges or sand-flies...

Midges were having me for dinner last night, not seem those things in the picture before though.

Nick thanks for sending the samples to the Pest Control team. As people have said on HoL, it's possible that we're seeing some changes in insect distribution across the globe - possibly in response to climate change. 

I suggested two years ago that it may be time to start thinking about slightly modifying some of our habits in respect to  biting insects. In particular thinking about small children.

During the summer I play sport a couple of evenings a week in parks all over London, and these particular bugs are the worst for bites. Aside from the itching, the bites often turn into big 3-4" bruises after a day or so for some reason. Everyone on my team suffers, so I don't think it's just me having a bad reaction.

They appear everywhere in my experience, although I seem to get particularly badly devoured in Regents Park, so thank your lucky stars you don't live over in the classy(ier?) part of town ;-)

Do you think we should put some sort of sheep dip arrangement in place to prevent the infestation spreading?

See here for a related discussion in 2012 (with the difference that the primary culprits were white).

*rejects clickbait re UKIP/BNP*

I get bitten in Railway Fields with the same massive swelling, penny size blister, and if I have more than 3 bites sometimes fever and feeling pretty damn awful. I've never seen what does it, and nobody else I'm with ever seems to get bitten, including hordes of kids.

Last year I asked the staff at Railway Fields and they didn't think there were any unusual biting insects around, so I concluded that I was just massively allergic to a common biter that most people barely notice. Oh, and I don't go in Railway Fields unless I've got thick jeans on!

Would love to hear the results of the pest investigation (inpestigation?), and am slightly relieved to not be the only one although sorry you're suffering too!

over the last few years, there have been several instances of swarms of flying ants in Crouch End and Muswell Hill at this time of year  they are a nuisance as they bite but are slow so are easy to step on   I'm assured that this weather is perfect for them!

I live on Duckett Road and was bitten last week after leaving the door from the garden to the bedroom opening during the night. 20 times on one leg! All were very swollen and incredibly itchy and I still have marks today, some of which look like bruises. Nasty little things!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service