Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I see some pros as well as the obvious cons but felt this feedback was telling.

Tags for Forum Posts: low traffic neighbourhoods, traffic

Views: 3848

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

LDS — I live on one of the “minor residential roads” in St Ann’s. Pre-LTN, it was one of the quietest streets I’ve ever lived in; apart from a brief minor flurry in rush hours, the majority of traffic was learner drivers practising three-point turns and reversing, interspersed with children on cycle-training courses. It didn’t need an LTN, which was created solely to deal with traffic on BBL and two other roads — all of which had far, far, lower accident rates than the “boundary” roads of West Green Road and Green Lanes, where displaced traffic is now supposed to go. All that’s changed is that some cars — and more scooters and motorbikes — now see my quiet street as a challenge to how fast they can drive up it. Meanwhile, BBL has been drained of life and, with Chestnuts Park down one side, is not a place I imagine quite a lot of people (particularly women) will feel safe walking along after dark. This does not look like an improvement or an “acceptable inconvenience”.

I live on a minor residential road which was used as rat run morning, noon and night.

The rat runners are gone, people are using bicycles and you can hear the birds tweeting.

It’s a happier, healthier and safer neighbourhood for the next generation.

I think with a change like this there will be winners and losers, people on LadyDianaSpencer's street sounds like they're winning, which is great.

I'm on a street that was really quiet before the LTN and we have a similar experience to Don.

I personally think there should be a wider exemption policy. We are currently having building work and every single trade and delivery person has complained about how the delays and extra journey times are affecting their ability to carry out their work. I think exemptions for trades working in the LTN and CPZ residents being allowed to drive through their CPZ zones would make me get more on board with the LTNs. But I think the way the Govt have set up the funding, exemptions have to be kept to a minimum.

I've seen it mentioned in a few places that the traffic measuring wire thingys across many roads in the borough don't register traffic travelling at less than 10mph. Does anyone know if this is true? If it is true, and if this is the method used for traffic monitoring, then obviously they won't be capturing the stand still traffic on West Green Road.

I don't know about the ATCs (although I'd be very tempted to believe that is people just making stuff up given I have data that shows vehicles being recorded in the 5-10mph band) but the Vivacity ones are camera based using image recognition so the speed is irrelevant.

Thanks Andrew, that makes sense. 

Yep I agree those with residential permits should be allowed to access the LTN’s at more points.

Don’t have issue with tradesmen on a long job either tbh.  

It's not true - but the counters can  be less reliable at very slow speeds so there is a statistical process that they use to make it the count more accurate. There was one scheme where they didn't count those vehicles and had to correct it later which I think is where this particular myth of they dont count anything under 10mph comes from. 

As a woman I feel safer in streets without cars racing down them and where I can walk out in the road where the lighting is better rather than on the pavement next yo garden hedges where the lighting is worse. Pasdibg traffic doesn’t make you feel safe. I’d never trust a car driver who stopped on the side of a road at night to “assist”. 

I disagree, I always feel safer after dark walking along main roads with passing traffic. I would never use a short cut down a very quiet street, or through a park, unless there was no other option.

Is there not more passing on the main roads now?

As someone who walks down BBL with a small child I definitely prefer the "drained of life" version where you can actually cross the road to the life that is thousands of cars going by.

Not sure if this link will work but thought people might be interested in this piece on 15 minutes cities and the Oxford protests in today’s Times. 

What are 15-minute cities and why are antivaxers so angry about them?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/what-are-15-minute-cities-uk-oxf...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service