Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

In another post a few days back Glyn from SNT mentioned that there had been a fatal traffic accident on GL - pedestrian and articulated lorry he said.

Does anyone know what happened, or whereabouts?

Tags for Forum Posts: accident, lorry, traffic

Views: 442

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a listing of the type of vehicles currently used on the 'W' routes

to be found on this site: London Bus Routes
Many thanks, Stephen. Perhaps the 'Solo Narrow' as used on the W12 route is the one for WR. And why not 'W1' indeed?
And let's get more of those local drivers
Why would you assume they are local drivers ?

van drivers taking their loads on the bus ?

Thinking of which, anybody else noticed that bus drivers now hammer through red lights? Now there's a point to raise this evening - retrain bus drivers to respect traffic lights.
Everyone is taking on red lights.
I don't think the assumption is that they are all local drivers, rather that a proportion of cars on Green Lanes are drivers making local journeys that could be completed using public transport.
I'm all for careful bus drivers and traffic lights, John D.
No, I'm not assuming they're all local. But more useful local bus services, with more useful connections, might eventually mean fewer cars on our roads and fewer parked on our walkways.
Eddie, what's more dangerous? Crossing Green Lanes or going on the 29? I'd rather run across the road all day!
B2. I think seeing my life flash before my eyes twice as I crossed on the green man is more than enough for one lifetime. 3rd time unlucky perhaps? Enforcement? What exactly was going to happen to a person who nearly hit me? A caution?

The point is that as soon as you take the wheel of a vehicle you must feel the enormous weight of responsibilty that brings. Law enforcement is only part of the solution. People must stop behaving as though driving a car is nothing special. Cars have become bigger, heavier and more abundant and people must be more responsible as a result. Using a phone at the wheel or other distraction should be as morally unacceptable as drink driving has become in my lifetime.

As for not crossing at designated points on a road, that is not an offence in this country (as it is in some) and so I fail to see how pedestrians can be fined or whatever. Perhaps we should bring back Dave Prowse as the Green Cross Man?

I return to my original point, as a pedestrian, if you assume that anyone driving any vehicle is not wholly to be trusted and always try to catch their eye before setting foot in a road, you may just make it through your life with only 2 near misses on green and 1 incident of a 4x4 stopping inches from your child's head on a ladder side road while the driver yacked to her mate in the back seat (on that occasion, it was a good thing she had her window up or my husband may have been successful in his attempt at civil enforcement)
if he nearly hit you he missed you
if he nearly missed you he hit you (near miss)
Very well, in the interests of the clarity which you seek we will abandon the cliche that is the imprecise 'near miss' and replace it with "many examples of drivers whose driving behaviour was so poor that it is a miracle that I am here today able to debate the finer points of semantics with you as I was certain that they were about to send me to discover whether it was the atheist bus or the Russian Orthodox bus that was correct in its pronoucements on the afterlife"
he he :-)
Liz, however I am getting around I treat a situation as the “worst possible” to be extra cautious, the mode of transport is irrelevant although the consequences are far more sever for non car/van/lorry drivers. We have to steer away from this “all cars are the evil baddies” mindset and pedestrians have a moral higher plain. I partake in different modes of getting around so view it differently.

I have too had a near death experience but on Wightman, if it hadn’t have been my back hand throwing me and Mrs B2 in a hedge we would be in the great Vale Park in the sky*. A car was driving erratically at 2am bouncing of cars driving southwards on Wightman. It then mounted the pavement by us (by Fairlands Open Space) and we were chewing leaves for the next ten minutes. I phoned the police as the car buggered off down Fairfax and they did absolutely nothing, not even a call back! We were at a leaving do and we soon sobered up. This was in October 2002.

* If you believe in such things.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service