Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

In another post a few days back Glyn from SNT mentioned that there had been a fatal traffic accident on GL - pedestrian and articulated lorry he said.

Does anyone know what happened, or whereabouts?

Tags for Forum Posts: accident, lorry, traffic

Views: 442

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I concur Anette, it seems that it's very fashionable to constantly blame cars and lorries. Bicycles, pedestrians and motorcyclists are all to blame too. Some people have NO common road sense. From my experience it's mostly the pedestrians fault for playing Human Frogger and not looking both ways.

From my experience as a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist, driver of a car and disco roll-a-blader, if you are anything other than a car you need to take extra care as you are not protected by a lump of metal.

People who cross the road on the phone or with and ipod on have the Grime Reaper on their backs!
Crossing a road at any point is a calculated risk - one which is taken upon the assumption that vehicles are going to behave in accordance with the rules of the road. Too often cars (and bikes) don't. I don't always, always blame cars. But I do see drivers every day who are quite obviously not paying enough attention to the laws of the road and the safety of other road users. These drivers are much more likely to cause death or serious injury than idiot cyclists or jay-walking pedestrians.
And I see pedestrians crossing every day, obviously ( ears stuck to cellphones etc ) not paying enough attention to the traffic. If a car or lorry swerves to avoid the jaywalker and crushes a cyclist, who is to blame ? The pedestrian, I think.

The only real answer would be to limit vehicle and cycle speeds to 5 mph (and a a man with a red flag in front might not be a bad idea, thereby solving the unemployment crisis at a stroke )
I am an extremely cautious pedestrian, I never cross against the lights, I never cross anywhere except the crossings and I do not use a phone/ipod/gadget when walking.

I have nearly been run over on crossings on Green Lanes twice because drivers were driving dangerously, the second time by a man reversing OUT of Warham road, round the corner and onto the crossing outside the post office where I was crossing with a buggy. When I say I was inches from being a road crossing casualty, I mean inches. The idiot didn't even apologise but roared off up the road.

Not to mention parked white vans and 4x4s/people carriers in front of my house which mean I have peer out from behind them to get a buggy and a 5 year old to school. The number of people who are yacking on phones, accelerating after the speed bump, driving with a sarnie etc whose eyes I meet as I struggle to cross safely is extraordinary. They are not being at all aware of the possibilities. Thank heaven the children of Harringay are pretty sensible and don't run across roads but we did have to pick one little boy out of the road who was knocked down recently. I have many more stories of near misses like this. I'm afraid, I trust no one using the road.

I agree with Danzigger about calculated risk. We have to be able to trust that ALL drivers are behaving in accordance with the rules of the road.
Believe me, for every sensible driver there are many many more appalling drivers out there who are so insulated in their cars that they lose sight of the enormous responsibilty they have every time they sit behind the wheel of it.
I agree and sympathise with you Liz. That's why I am constantly banging on about why don't the police enforce the rules? ALL the rules.

Let's start with speed, cell phone usage and respect for traffic lights. I've started to photograph drivers using cell phones, which may get me killed one day.

I do think though that even drivers of white vans should be allowed to park somewhere :-)
Indeed, but why outside my house overnight, next to the narrowed crossing by the passage that is intended to make it safer for people to cross, can they not exercise a little common sense and park their vehicles futher up? Surely not too much to ask? Moreover, I have no idea to whom they belong as none of my neighbours use one as far as I know, so no doubt they are from all the illegal conversion work going on in my street (insult to injury, springs to mind)
Only twice Liz, that’s good.

Laws should be enforced for drivers who brake the laws, unfortunately pedestrians don't have a points system on their license and some act however they feel like. They have also (many cyclists too) have not had any safety training.

When I am on my bike or scooter coming down Green Lanes in the evening, I have to go at walking speed as I come across three or four lemmings every single night. It’s only a matter of time before I hit one.
A reminder that the special meeting on Traffic in Harringay is to be held tonight (23 March). Details here
A chance to put some of the points raised here to council officers and other organisations involved with road safety.
And let's get more of those local drivers (and their passengers, if any) out of their vehicles and onto local buses. Re which, see my 'midi-bus for Wightman' under this same Traffic in Harringay event. ONLY CONNECT!
Did you say near miss ? if it nearly miss' then it hits right ?
so a near miss is a hit.
No a near miss is one where they missed sending me to kingdom come but were very nearly successful
Just to keep things tidy:
Here's the link to the discussion on Bus Services Up For Review ..

BTW, I don't want to jump the gun, but the W1 route number in the W series is currently vacant...

Wouldn't it be nice to call it the W1ghtman Bus.. ? lol

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service