Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I've no doubt school fetes are worthy activities, but do people really need to let estate agents get free advertising by allowing them to set up their hideous boards on their property in return for advertising school fetes. There was even one attached to the rails at the end of a section of Harringay Passageway. Do people find them pretty?

Tags for Forum Posts: estate agents signs, school summer fair signs

Views: 3949

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good idea. Preferably with details of facilities for regular payment facilities (Not Paypal!) incl 'covenanting'. Who knows how many Ladder philanthropic billionaires there are with soft hearts around Christmas, Ramadan etc.?
Ok, can see why the expenses from that list. All good fundraising ventures, given it's not rained out and can see why you need the 'under writing'.
Bouncy castles are such a crowd pleaser, few fetes are complete without one and I'm sure you're already getting the best deals there possible.
My kids' previous middle school gets each year to donate a different type; so year 8, for instance, could donate small prizes.
Can you borrow anything more than you do? Or get donations of raw materials from local shops and supermarkets? Like I said in response to Liz though, I expect many are all donated-out by the time it's fete season, especially if each school is catering for several hundred.
Impressed you get a licence, that must eventually make money, but again a risk if people don't show.
Impressed you get a licence, that must eventually make money, but again a risk if people don't show.

Even in the rain, that makes money. No-one can resist the charms of David Schmitz with a jug of Pimms and lemonade (and a capful of gin).
Sounds good to me Liz

Jack, the license is to sell alcohol (you have to apply via the council) and costs around £20 per event.

John - tsk!!!!!
Angela,

Yes, we used to get one for Harringay Labour Party Beer tasting evenings. Well worth the initial outlay if folks turn up and buy. I just meant that certain fixed costs do add up and many smaller events don't serve alcohol at all. In fact none of the school fetes I've been to in recent years do. I think it's a good idea and a money spinner.

Now what did you *think* I thought it was a licence for!?! LOL
At least there's a party whatever the weather.
I have fond memories of Labour Party fundraisers where someone had a trip to France and bought in 'exotic' beers - all of which available at Tescos, but those were the days.
You know - it's not a way of raising money I was entirely comfortable with - however as Liz has already pointed out - it is a good way of ensuring an income. It covers all the costs of the fair - and means that you can go into the day knowing you are already raising money for the next years projects.

Anthony Pepe who sponsored our boards at South Harringay this year were very professional. They did no damage to any properties - and were very prompt in taking the boards down after the event.

As to the costs of running a fair - as this was my first foray into Primary School Fair Organising - I have to say I was surprised at the total costs. However if you put it into perspective the costs are actually very reasonabl for a 400 person event.

The event is treated firstly as a social event for the community and the school - the fundraising is actually a secondary objective.

By having funding in place - you can ensure that you have free entertainment, free activities, and set the costs of other 'activity' stalls e.g. lucky dips etc at below cost price. This ensures that the children have a great time - and that even people with no money can come to the fair and have a good time.

Local Business are very generous in their donations - we had raffle prizes from a host of Green Lanes Small Businesses with year. Food was both donated, and given at generous discounts. Parents gave time, gifts and food. We started this year a stall sponsorship scheme - again generously supported by local people (something we really hope to expand on next year)

So the break down to give you some idea -
£250 on stalls - this includes prizes, face paints, raffle prizes (£100 of this was offset by stall sponsorship)
£400 on catering - to include all drinks, bbq, napkins etc (these all pay for themselves during the event)
£200 on entertainment - free entertainment (circus skills) as part of the event
£200 - decoration and activites - big expense here was balloons and helium for decoration! But again we covered this cost by selling the balloons at cost on the day. Also a banner for next years fete etc

So at a base level - that £1000 allows us to put on an event that is fun, cheap and inclusive. As well as giving us the capital to make money through the Pimms stall and the BBQ.

So until some generous local business steps in as overall sponsors of the event - the estate agents boards are here to stay!

Anyhow - Muswell Hill and Crouch End have just as many - even if it is the lovely Tatlers in the main! And the Pimms in Muswell Hills is a cool £2.50 a glass.....
Think you've got it covered there - sounds like a great event.
When I was involved with the Friends group for Chestnuts Park we used to make as much possible free so that any of the local kids could be involved. We got voluntary donations from some folks, but no one was made to feel bad about not contributing. We still managed to make money on an event day from other things, like the refreshments.
And you're right, a good community event is worth so much more, though good to know some money is also raised in the process of having fun - all good.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service