Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hi all.

Has anyone else noticed how horrific the images are on a constant loop being beamed out of the windows of Ersan & Co opposite the Salisbury?

When it was first being refurbished, it was a mystery as to what it was going to be, then as the 'PERSONAL INJURY, 'ACCIDENT CLAIMS' and 'MEDICAL NEGLIGENCE' banners were unveiled it became clear that it is a ambulance chaser megamart.

So what right? These [sort of firms*] have to be based somewhere.

My gripe is that they show videos on a constant loop of all of the worst things which can happen. There is one video in particular which features an awful car accident where a car crosses into the oncoming lane and is obliterated by a truck. I have been in a couple of car accidents, and they are no joke, and it struck me that this is particularly inappropriate footage to be broadcasting to the general public 24 hours a day.

Also the monitors seem to be beaming these out at about a million lumens, they illuminate the whole street, thankfully my bedroom is not on the street side or I would need blackout curtains.

Who can I complain to? (Besides you lot...)

*edited by site admin

Tags for Forum Posts: ersan

Views: 8767

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anna, you may not realise this but it's been an uphill struggle to get the council to actually look into the video screen issue, and a handful of locals have managed to get it on their radar through a lot of efforts, no matter what a blatant breach it clearly is.

Sure there are laws and regulations, but with a grand total of 6 enforcement officers for the whole of Harringay, it takes a lot of determination to get them to look into a specific case.

The council's out of hours noise team would probably be a good place to start...

The opening party at Ersan included local Labour councillors and council candidates. I presume they're reluctant to push a business that is certainly a step up from a bookie over an issue which might be seen as a bit... Crouch End?

I understand that, since just yesterday, the offending video screens are now displaying scenes of the Grand Opening Party on 30 September 2014 (possibly this, more than half an hour), rather than the scenes of accidents and offers of gift inducement.

This video does not show the local Labour politicians who were present at the party later in the evening, one of whom I saw through the shop front windows as I passed.

The shopfront of Ersan & Co. was improved with a grant from the GLA Outer London Fund, worth some £20,700 (net).

This Greater London Authority fund has already improved much of Green Lanes.

How are they a step up from a bookie? They are a bookie. A place of gambling where customers have the potential to impact heavily on small  business by making successful claims and forcing up insurance premiums A business that encourages people to bring about some claim by tempting them with gifts of iPhones and so on!? That, is not a step up from a bookies.  A step up would be a decent organic health food shop, a library, a cafe or restaurant, a bakery... 

Great efforts were made to find an alternative tenant - but to no avail. Believe me, in terms of high street livability a solicitor's office is not the same as a bookies. A food outlet outfit were almost secured but it didn't work out. As things tuned out many locals are grateful for small mercies, but still seek to mitigate the downside of the current operation.

Oddly enough the Haringey Police Commander made that reasoning in his speech at the opening. That and Ersan's sponsorship of youth boxing which is organised by cops in the borough.

Hugh, locals certainly do seek to mitigate the downside.

IMO, it ill behoves a commercial operation whose premises (a) benefit from the expenditure of more than £20,000 of public funds, and then (b) fight a Planning Enforcement notice about the same premises from our Local Authority.

Is this responsible?

What I'd now like to see from local councillors is (a) a positive expression of support for our Council's actions thus far and (b) a statement from them that they've had quiet word with the proprietor who will agree to stop fighting the Enforcement action.

I'd like to see local Labour politicians – some of who appear close to Ersan & Co,. – in action rather than inaction.

The Tottenham MP might consider involving himself, on behalf of the Community.

Yes Hugh, I do see that the ugly facades of regular bookies are less appealing and yet somehow as it turns out, they would be more discreet!  It takes years to enhance and improve an area surely we could have waited a little longer and secured a more pleasing and community minded tenant. But there it is. It was my understanding that they were instructed to turn off the screens by Haringey Council and yet have turned them back on before their appeal is even heard the only difference being that they are not displaying images of accidents now? The audacity! 

We could have waited Ms S, but KFH couldn't. It was Tipco or someone else. Time was of the essence.

Dear Anna, the people vote I referred to in my earlier text was never meant to imply that one episode of suspected or proven law breaking should only be addressed according to wishes of the community. Although the amount of voices raised in support of an action can make a difference. If you have evidence of a breach of the law then you can make a difference in this matter by recording your information and raising it with environmental health. As for bringing this complaint about on a thread relating to Ersan's visual disturbance well, Ive no doubt that people can tell the difference between the two areas of discussion however the title relates to Ersan's and for the benefit of all if you wish to expand on this, your desired area of discussion, wouldn't it be better to start a fresh campaign? I'd like to point out once again that I was very clear about giving my assistance to any project that helped the community regardless of whether it impacted on me.

Anna, as Ms N Smithers has correctly observed above, your comment was removed because you made very serious and libellous allegations. That can obviously not be permitted on HoL, just as it is not countenanced in any reputable media.

It seems particularly odd that you made these allegations since in your subsequent comment you wrote, "No, Ms Smithers, there was no indication [of bribery]."

Please read our site rules. All site admin decisions are made in line with those.

As far as your Jam in a Jar issue is concerned, if you have evidenced complaints of a breach in planning laws, then whilst we would recommend that you deal with those initially through official channels, we will not delete any comments that offer evidenced breaches of the law. 

Not sure if this might be worth mentioning, apart from the big flashy screens in ersans windows. I have noticed client case files openly stored and displayed in the window for passers by to read. I  am sure this must be confidential information. I wonder if this is a breach of solicitors rules?     

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service