Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hi all.

Has anyone else noticed how horrific the images are on a constant loop being beamed out of the windows of Ersan & Co opposite the Salisbury?

When it was first being refurbished, it was a mystery as to what it was going to be, then as the 'PERSONAL INJURY, 'ACCIDENT CLAIMS' and 'MEDICAL NEGLIGENCE' banners were unveiled it became clear that it is a ambulance chaser megamart.

So what right? These [sort of firms*] have to be based somewhere.

My gripe is that they show videos on a constant loop of all of the worst things which can happen. There is one video in particular which features an awful car accident where a car crosses into the oncoming lane and is obliterated by a truck. I have been in a couple of car accidents, and they are no joke, and it struck me that this is particularly inappropriate footage to be broadcasting to the general public 24 hours a day.

Also the monitors seem to be beaming these out at about a million lumens, they illuminate the whole street, thankfully my bedroom is not on the street side or I would need blackout curtains.

Who can I complain to? (Besides you lot...)

*edited by site admin

Tags for Forum Posts: ersan

Views: 8767

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pav: I agree that the Ersan videos are vulgar (and distasteful); however they were caught under Town & Country Planning Act regulations. The Appeal was lodged on Thursday last week; the Magistrate’s Court have not provided the Council with a Hearing date yet, but I'll try to provide further updates.

Don't forget the new pedestrian crossing on Green lanes and the traffic camera on Wightman - both the result of hard work by the LibDem Harringay councillors.

I have been concerned about and questioned these video screens from day one, and I have to say that Cllr Clive Carter has been the only councillor so far to have actually looked into it, even though it's not even his ward. My councillors (St Ann's) have been completely unresponsive.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_dat...

Section 155 of the Town & Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 1992 makes for interesting reading. I wonder if Ersan's have permission from the Building Owner's and the Highways Authority? If not would would they be liable to immediate prosecution?

Owner's Consent

1. It is a condition of every consent granted by or under the Regulations that, before displaying any advertisement, the permission of the owner of the land or other person entitled to grant permission must be obtained. To display any advertisement without this permission is an offence, open to immediate prosecution. 

2. Where the site is within the boundaries of a highway, confirmation that the application is acceptable to the highway authority is required.

Page 42. continuation of section 155  

ROADS 

General considerations 

1. All advertisements are intended to attract attention. But particular consideration should be given to proposals to site advertisements at points where drivers need to take more care, for instance at junctions, roundabouts, pedestrian crossings, on the approach to a low bridge or level crossing, or other places where local conditions present traffic hazards. There are less likely to be road safety problems if the advertisement is on a site within a commercial or industrial locality, if it is a shop fascia sign, name-board, trade or business sign, or a normal poster panel, and if the advertisement is not on the skyline. 

2. The main types of advertisement which may cause danger to road users are: 

1. (a)  those which obstruct or impair sight-lines at corners, bends or at a junction, or at any point of access to a highway; 

2. (b)  those which, because of their size or siting, would obstruct or confuse a road-user’s view, or reduce the clarity or effectiveness of a traffic sign or signal, or would be likely to distract road-users because of their unusual nature; 

The Corporation of London takes advertising very seriously. If only our local council did to. It appears that either they don't have the time to tackle this problem with Ersan's or they simply are not interested which is a shame since surely most of the point of bidding for regeneration money was to accentuate old Victorian features and provide financial incentives to shop owners to create new ones thereby lifting up an area with outstanding potential,  amongst other things! You wouldn't catch an Ersan's on Church Street, so why here!

Ersan's office on its own is bland and featureless place which on a stand alone basis does not catch my eye - unless of course I'm catching a glimpse of the mountains of files leaning against their windows.   But with the current moving illuminated displays its as if they are eroding some of the hard work put into this area to make it a more aesthetically pleasing place to be and why should they be allowed to create such an impact! Its just so damn disappointing! Where's the sense of community spirit! 

Here's a very interesting pamphlet by the Corporation of London which gives plenty of ideas on why advertising should be considered so carefully and the impact that it has. 

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/services/environment-and-planning/p...

I 100% agree with your analysis. These screens turn a bland and messy office in a vulgar eyesore, and come across as an insult to the council and local residents in light of all the efforts and funds that went into the area's recent redevelopment.

Well quite. The other evening I was driving in the opposite direction to the Salisbury and remarked to my companion just how beautiful the Salisbury looked with its uplighting and from that distance Ersan's was less noticeable. A rare thing.

I agree Clive that some representatives (not council) but just community representatives could visit Ersan's and talk to them about dropping their appeal and yet despite all warnings and protests they have been so staunchly determined to have one form or another of moving imagery/ advertising playing from their windows.  There must however be a solution and if it does affect the public purse then they will have a lot to answer for. I can't imaging any judge will look favourably on them. As Clive said, they have already benefited from £20,000 in regeneration funding and the thanks given for this is a slap in the face for the community it was supposed to serve. Nice people.

I really love this area, I think it has so much potential. I see so many positive things happening here I trust that the courts will rule in favour of the people. Having been reading the Town and Country Planning Act  (which I attached earlier) it would seem that there are many reasons why those screens should be removed permanently. 

Perhaps it just needs to have it's own thread, to prevent any confusion with or possible association with Ersan's?
I think it's the peoples vote really. If HoL are protecting jam in a jar then them remove these posts too right? It's better that you get a local
Newspaper involved on that one or start up a new thread specifically for those interested in that particular issue. I am affected by Ersans as it has a big visual impact for me daily when I pass. I don't know who jam in a jar are. Never noticed it and definitely have not been affected. However if you organise a protest against the breach of hours, I would try to attend for the sake of my local community. If you raised a petition Id sign it. And don't forget StreetLife another site for community matters.

See our comment below. You made serious and libellous allegations that were not based on fact. That is why your comment was removed. Further breaches of our site rules will lead to your suspension from the site.

And Im suspecting that the libellous statement and the reason your post was removed was due to your accusation [of bribery].

Comment amended by site admin.

I think you'd need to evidence all this in your post. And use a platform not Ersan's. If you have concerned neighbours then find a way to enforce the restrictions. One person can make a huge difference. Phone environmental health if needs be. I'm sure there's lots you can do.

Comment amended by site admin.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service