Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I have received this from the project engineer regarding enforcement of the 7.5 t weight restriction.

Do let me know if you think enforcement is not happening and I can chase it up.

“The zones signage has now been upgraded to ensure it complies with current regulations and with the correct signage in place, enforcement of the restriction will be carried out wherever possible. Please note that with the restrictions in place, an exemption provision applies to vehicles who wish to gain access and therefore our enforcement will not eliminate all overweight vehicles, furthermore we cannot enforce this location at all times.

We will use our mobile CCTV enforcement vehicles to capture footage of overweight vehicles entering the restricted zone on Wightman Road. This will then be reviewed and entered into our Penalty Notice processing system and a postal PCN will be issued to the Registered Keeper of non exempt vehicles that fail to comply with the prohibition.”

Tags for Forum Posts: lorries

Views: 1975

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They are the people (through Veolia and OnTime) breaking the limits the most so I doubt they're going to do anything about it.

Exactly!  The powers that be at Haringey seem to subscribe to do as I say rather than do as I do, but to be fair plenty of the skip hire companies are guilty too and are extremely noisy.

I was the 5th speed hump so I was awake and kept a pen and pad by the bed. I could just look out the window, clock the registration number and lay back down. Good luck!

I wonder if anyone took up the points alluded to in the reply by a "project engineer" about having to upgrade the zones signage?

Also John D, did you ask Haringey Environment Department about the issue you raised last July - that companies could simply claim they needed access whether or not this was true? If so what was their reply?

Can I also suggest that at some stage it may be helpful to ask for a meeting with the relevant council staff to clarify some of these issues and suggest priorities for action. (Bearing in mind of course, that as their numbers rapidly shrink, what they can offer is shrinking too.)

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

No Alan.

I was replying to Karen Alexander's request for comments. I assumed that she would pursue it.

Really, the only way is to follow suspect trucks to check if they stop for access and photograph them if they do not. I have found that the transport managers of the companies concerned treat complaints seriously. For example the serial-offending Kingsmill bread trucks seem to have stopped using Wightman.

As regards a meeting with council staff, I have repeatedly raised the matter of enforcement at the Transport Forum but to little or no effect. BTW,  did you ever get a reply from Cllr Canver to your December 06 mail about the speeding issue ?

I am continuing to push for more enforcement which is an issue both on WIghtman and the ladder roads.  I am woken up nearly every morning by what sounds like a lorry pulling 5 skips behind it (alas I am never quick enough to jump out of bed to catch the culprit - I'll have to get early to do a stakeout!).

With regards to speeding issues I am pleased to report that the police did some speed checks with the speed gun on Wightman Road two days ago - they spoke to 16 speeding drivers reminding them of the speed limit of 20mph.  Sgt Llewellyn has said that they will try to do another next month.  I will of course continue to pressure them to continue with this on a regular basis and on the ladder roads too.

Why don't the police prosecute ? They do with insurance / tax offences.

I can't imagine that " reminding them of the speed limit " will do much to change their bahaviour.

Sympathy. Policemen like to speed too.

Maybe " reminding them " is a euphemism for taking them round the corner and beating the crap out of them with tyre levers ? :-)

It looked like P.C. Glyn was keeping a good eye on them. No dodgy stuff.

I saw them yesterday afternoon but they were checking speed as cars came around bend at Allison Rd which is where people travel at their slowest. They had one driver pulled into Effingham Road, (I think), and it looked as he was getting more than a finger wagging.   

John, as well as following trucks, I'd have thought that a limited Council/Police operation could simply stop them as they came to the end of the road. Asking where they claim to have stopped and telling drivers that they will be checking this information.

I suggested a face-to-face meeting because I've experienced positive outcomes when residents and council officers can talk in a low-key practical way about a local area. For example when the 20mph limit was introduced for the streets in our neighbourhood, Tony Kennedy and his colleagues came to a local meeting and explained why residents' ideas about more trees and chicanes weren't practical. But they listened to and accepted residents' views about reducing the number of speed humps.

I couldn't locate the 2006 email you mention. Please help me out by giving me more detail. alan.stanton@virgin.net. Thanks.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service