Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Ending of Haringey Daily Visitor Permits to increase daily visitor parking charge by 164%

A parking review consultation run quietly at the start of the year seems to have been so little publicised that it attracted just 42 responses (augmented with another 58 garnered by phone).

The change it included that residents may feel most keenly is the abolition of daily visitor permits.

Currently Haringey's website gives the following prices for visitor permits:

Standard daily visitor permits are £5 and hourly are £1.20. 

The "Parking Strategy and Policy/Charges Review, Appendix D: Updated parking permit policy / charges" shares the expectation that residents will henceforth be expected to make up a day's parking permit with hourly permits. For the Ladder where the CPZ runs from 08:00 to 18:30, this will require eleven hourly permits to make up a full day. If the hourly charge remains at £1.20, this will mean a total daily cost of £13.20, an increase of a mere 164%. The cutting below is extracted from that Appendix.

It's not clear to me why hourly permits should be less open to abuse than daily ones, but I'm all ears.  If the primary motivation for this change was indeed to counter permit abuse, one would have thought it a fairly easy matter to protect residents from the affects of standing up to the abuse by simply putting a cap on daily charges like London Transport do. As far as I can make out, this hasn't happened.

At section 4.1 of the background papers (attached below), the Council has gone to the trouble of benchmarking the cost of daily business visitor permits. That's helpful. They looked at Camden, Islington, Ealing, Greenwich and Waltham Forest.

For some reason, no benchmarking was done on the cost of daily resident visitor parking costs. I've done my best to fill that gap. I've used the same boroughs and added Hackney since that was a missing neighbouring borough.

The current cost for a visitor to park in CPZ of those six boroughs for a day are as follows.

Camden: £8.79

Islington: £7.20 - £8.00 (on my calculationat £0.90 and £1.00 per hour)) discounted to £2.80 for 60+

Greenwich: Tradesmen £18.50 per week, and £9 per 10 vouchers (no information on time period validity)

Waltham Forest: £8.00 (at £1.00 per hour)

Hackney: £5.30.......................

...................vs Haringey: £13.20

....unless of course I'm misunderstanding Haringey's policy - only too happy to be set straight. 

The change was part of a wider Parking strategy review that was passed by the Council last week. The recommendations of the review were adopted without dissent (see minute 48:30 of meeting on YouTube).

This change is unlikely to affect me personally but I fear that it may have an impact on some who are not is a strong position to absorb the increased charges. 

(The section on comparative parking costs was added at 18:55 on 24 July)

Tags for Forum Posts: parking, visitor parking, visitor parking permits

Views: 7454

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I note the paraphrasing of Cllr Chandwani's response in the minutes. The version I've reproduced in my last comment is verbatim. 

Not disagreeing with Hugh or anyone but even though this was 'passed' it's not set in stone, is it? It can be reversed if there are sufficient objections and we can easily prove that the correct procedure was not followed.

This pm the political journalist from BBC Radio London is calling me. If that talk then becomes an interview request shall I put you forward, Hugh?

Yes, the current status can be changed. I rarely add a post just to complain. Usually my motivation is to alert people to an issue to offer the opportunity to mobilise to create change. That was what motivated me to start the site back in 2007. On the current issue, I spelled out three routes for change in my last and rather long comment.

Most of my thinking on the daily parking issue I’ve set out on this thread in the original post and subsequent comments. If your chap wants a chat, happy to do that. Is he a friend?

The correct procedure was not followed in the latest Hornsey CPZ consultation. Council policy is that such consultations should be 'resident led.' In the 3 years preceding the consultation only 6 people had emailed the Council regarding parking issues none of whom had requested a CPZ. 

The consultation letter stated that there had been numerous complaints from individuals and groups stating problems with parking. (This was incorrect. I wrote asking which groups had complained. I never received a reply. It is clear that Haringey Council breached its guidelines making this a Council led consultation - NOT resident led.) 

The consultation went ahead 56% of residents voted Against / 38 % For. A CPZ was introduced in those roads which voted - even marginally For. See my previous post explaining this.) 

A complaint was put in to the local Council Ombudsman. He agreed that Haringey Council had acted incorrectly but decided to do nothing as he said they had amended their procedures.

Good luck pushing the 'incorrect procedure' line. 

It does seem bizarre that they didn't actually check how much a day permit cost (£5 rather than £4) before discussing this.

Let's be charitable and assume the cllr misspoke. We all do it from time to time. 

Repeating it a number of times does make me suspect it is more than that, not big in the scheme of things but suggesting poor briefing or poor research. I'd probably be more inclined to be charitable to councillors if they ever responded to emails.

It's clear this is totally a business-focussed decision and pays no mind to the needs of residents to have family visit and work done in their homes. I live on the Green Lanes end of a road closest to a very busy part of the shopping area and I have no trouble finding a space at most times of day, mostly very near my house, except on Sundays when the regulations don't apply. I don't at all understand on what basis they have made this stupid judgment!

I've emailed ward councillors about this making the points others have made, so far no reply from any of them................

Have had a response from one of the Harringay councillors and our street WhatsApp gp reports common thread in all replies .... statutory consultation> I have responded by asking for an example of a Cabinet decision that has been overturned in last 20 years following statutory consultation. No answer yet!!

Also asked what they as councillors can do...

Zena Brabazon, to her credit, has said she will meet with the service director.
Will update when I hear of any outcome - hopefully before the BBC interview next Wednesday

The BBC Radio political team are now on to this. I've just been meeting with the BBC Radio London reporter along with Roslyn and Caitlin. We set up the situation with a few interview clips, but for the main event we'll be represented by Caitlin who will be on the Eddie Nestor show at 11:10 next Wednesday.

The reporter approached Cllr Chandawani for comment, but she is apparently unavailable for interview. 

Yes, it was a really good meeting and I look forward to hearing the piece next Wednesday at 11.10 am.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service