Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Having lived in Haringey for practically all my life, I was surprised to get a penalty notice for driving into Elmfield Avenue at 3:15 on a Tuesday. The contravention was "failing to comply with a restriction on vehicles entering a pedestrian zone"

Firstly checking on Google maps I couldn't see any signage to warn drivers not to enter at certain times? I then went onto the Haringey /Parking webpage where you can view the offence. I could see clearly the signage saying no entry between 2:30 and 3:45.

I have driven into Elmfield Avenue  to get to Middle Lane for years, so was not aware or on the look out for restrictions, hence the penalty notice.

What I would like to know, when were these notices put up and the restriction enforced? AND what happens to the W3 bus route in these times?

I don't think I have a case to appeal as the signs are clear, but has anyone else received penalty notices for this and appealed successfully?

Very disgruntled Haringey Resident

Betty

Views: 6522

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Brian, I have to thank you first of all for all your hard work. This was why I gave in at the first hurdle. However, I am happy to add my name to your appeal. Let me know if there is anything you need from me?

It would be good if you could provide a summary of your reasons for appealing to Haringey, and then your reasons for deciding to pay. I will supply London Tribunals with their response which you provided me.

I'll probably need your name and address as well. Feel free to DM me.

Appeal has gone into London Tribunals. I'll keep people updated with how I get on. I have included a request for everyone who has been unfairly fined to be refunded.

My hearing with London Tribunals is on: 6th September 2021 at 08:30 by telephone. If anyone would like to appear as a witness in support of Haringey Council making changes to make the execution of this scheme fairer, please direct message me with a witness statement of your own experience.

Haringey has withdrawn one of the PCNs I received for this, it seems. However, the other one is still going to be contested with London Tribunals. There's still time to add your own experience as a witness to my appeal if you wish. I have 2 extremely compelling contributions so far, one of which was a successful appeal.

Hi Brian, All,

I also got caught out by this, I was completely unaware of the restriction and had no idea what a school Street was until I received the PCN. I received a rejection of my representations today and am as yet undecided whether to appeal at the tribunals. You might be interested to know i submitted a Freedom of Information request to Haringey requesting various information, including how many PCNs have been issued so far. The number? 6,343 from 26 April when they started issuing them, up until 25 July!! And only 285 cancelled in the same period. That number, is itself proof to me that their signage and awareness campaign is completely inadequate. If everyone paid the discount that is approx £400k income for Haringey in 7 weeks. I would add that I would be supportive of this scheme and the other school streets if they were implemented in a fair way, however this just seems to be an excuse for a money grab.

The Ham and High might well be interested in your FOI request's outcome, particularly the startlingly large numbers you've uncovered. Is that just for Elmfield Avenue or across all the School Streets?

PS I noticed that the sign at the Broad Lane end of Walton Rd, for the Earlsmead School Street, is the same 'fold-up-to-obscure' pattern as at Elmfield Avenue. Egregious practice.

In fairness to them (and my gut reaction is NOT to be fair!), the signs have to be folded up out of school term times as the scheme doesnt operate then.

The pavement level publicity 'pillar' bears the operating days and hours and 'During school term time only'. Are those five words legally impermissible on the actual enforcement signs, I wonder; examples shown in a Hackney Council video are also a folding design.

Gordon, yes I am tempted to make the local press aware of the numbers. My FOI request was for just regarding the Rokesly scheme (so Elmfield and Hermiston Avs), but I have written back to Haringey asking them to confirm this, as it's staggeringly high.

Mark, if your PCN was for entering Elmfield Avenue from Middle Lane coming in a southerly direction (from Ally Pally), therefore turning left into the road, there's a chance the ticket will already be cancelled. If yours was for a different entry point, you still stand a good chance of appealing against it by going to the adjudicator.

I too support the scheme in principle but yes, agree it's been implemented in the most (seemingly) underhand way that counts on 'offenders' giving up at the 1st hurdle. At the end of the day this will be no skin off Haringey's nose if they lose even as much as £100k of income from appeals that are upheld. It's not as if they have to pay a penalty for issuing PCNs in error.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service