Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Yesterday 29 September a bunch of people met up for the launch of a book about a major and partly successful campaign to stop the Gentrification and social cleansing of Tottenham after the riot of 2011. Both the Haringey Council Leadership at the time and various so-called "regeneration" experts, and others with access to money and power seem to have viewed Tottenham's problems  as having a major solution: That being demolition of the homes of poorer resident especially those living in Council owned accommodation.

Many of us invited to the book launch e had taken part in the campaign to stop what the powers-that-be  called the "Haringey Development Vehicle".  In my view a more honest name would have been  along the lines of Homes Destruction Viciousness. But not everyone would agree with my fair, balanced and neutral assessment.
The book is researched, written and published by academics at University College London. [UCL] I've met them before and and they do indeed make strenuous efforts to frame the issues in fair, balanced ways respecting the facts and different viewpoints.

It also has the advantage that you can read the book for free as it's an Open Access pdf file
[OA] 

Link
https://uclpress.co.uk/book/disrupting-the-speculative-city/

Tags for Forum Posts: HDV, Haringey Development Vehicle, UCL, book launch, public campaign

Views: 571

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm two-thirds of my way through this excellent book. I captures so many of the failings of our economic and social policies. Neo-colonialism, the rapacious greed inherent in unchecked capitalism, and the vanities of politicians. Read this book.

David Lammy has just two mentions in the entire book. One is his statement of 2017 questioning the HDV's lack of oversight. This came immediately prior to the General Election, and only once voter and local party sentiment had already swung against the project (pro-HDV candidates in local elections were quickly ousted). The second mention is an aside regarding a panel he sat on. 

He's essentially invisible in all of this. This is his super-power.

Possibly, but it was not in Lammy's gift to direct events (though I grant he has a voice). That task lies with our local councilors- so if you want to challenge governance and decision making arrangements then look at our local elected representatives.

A multi billion pound social cleanse and disposal of public assets in his own backyard. A response to some of the most widespread national rioting in generations. But sure, the answers to what happened can only be found in the minutes of a sub-committee of part time local councillors. The demarcation between local and national politics has always been a cloak. 

On 11th July 2017 David Lammy Tottenham's Member of Parliament made his views publicly clear about the HDV in a letter to Claire Kober then Council Leader.
I posted it on my Flickr pages here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanstanton/35060241564/sizes/o/

Reading David Lammy's letter illustrates that members of the Labour party usually observed a code of mutual politeness. By 2017 I was an ex-councillor and an ex-member of Haringey Labour Party. While a party member the space for honest frank criticism was narrow. Even political satire was frowned on. To be fair to Claire Kober she and her close cronies were often the target of my disparaging humour. Without complaint to me.

Yes, exactly. The tide had turned at this stage. It's always been Lammy's approach to shout once the fighting is over (see also Windrush). Perhaps the choirboy's sotto voce in the several years leading up to this is more the point.

Were you there, JamesN?  One of the points the book makes is how very wide was the alliance formed to fight the HDV.  For example, not just the main non-Tory political parties but Anarchists, and various varieties of Marxists. 
A church of England priest marched with everyone else and we met in his church. 
People did what they could while staying out of sight of the various party "whips" and other authoritarian control-lovers. There were also artists and designers. The old and the young turned up; as did a rainbow of colours.
Maybe you were in one of the photos posted by me and other people online ? I used Flickr and made my HDV photos public Domain / Creative Commons.
The fighting wasn't completely over and still persists now. David Lammy was briefed and played a part at a key point. As did people who made a clandestine trip to Croydon to learn about the "CCURV." One person risked his house in the legal case. And it was finally a very near thing and depended on court delays coinciding with election dates.

P.S. some of us briefed the Guardian's Aditya Chakrabortty snd enjoyed watching him on TV exposing Alan Strickland.

The sanctimony. You weren't on Endor, Alan.

And if you want to quote someone, be honest enough to use their actual words.

"...can ONLY be found..."

While the HDV wasn't the right mechanism Tottenham does indeed need regeneration. It has moved in the right direction with an inflow of young aspirational people chasing cheaper properties. These people have brought with them a desire to put down roots and improve the local commercial, residential and cultural environment for themselves and their families. Schools improve as a result because higher standards are demanded. However, there is still much to do. The litter, persistance of anti social behaviour, transiant filled HMOs and frankly grotty shops and public amenities need to change.

The HDV was at least an attempt to do something. Again, it wasn't right, fair or in the interests of the wider population but it was an idea. Contrast that effort, any effort, with the inaction of David Lammy. He's been the MP since Jesus played fullback for the Jews but what has he done? What has he tried to do? A fat man on a fat sinecure. Time for him to go.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service