Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Any one been to this new Turkish restaurant yet? Popped head in door today (31/12/11) & apparently they are open until 2/3am tonight so might be good for a kebab on the way home. It's on the corner of Pemberton Road.

Quite pleased to have one just round the corner finally....

Views: 709

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I shall introduce you two to each other next time we're all in the Passage which is v often and then you'll both understand why I'm laughing out loud at this exchange.

Ha ha no.

Season of goodwill didn't last long

It didn't

Our season of goodwill can be found in the Salisbury in the main.

Calm, Down, Calm Down!

Here is my review. 

Green Lanes can be heaven and hell for a vegetarian. Its heaven if you want to eat in, for reasons that hardly need explanation. But eating out in a meat dominated culture is the hell bit. Even the 'veggie' option in one of our 'fruity' eateries is cooked on the same hotplate used to fry lumps of dead pig! 

Devran is a kebab skewer's length from my abode and so today, feeling hungry and fortified by a welcome New Year's gift from Her Majesty's tax officials, I decided to treat myself. 

Stood around for a bit waiting to be shown to a table before plonking myself down on one - much to the surprise of a waiter. Was interested to see that something containing 'liver' was marked as a vegetarian option and disappointed that none of the stews were veggie. 

First up was a Grilled Halloumi starter which ought to be impossible to get wrong, unless you start by taking my order to the wrong table - requiring a new one to be cooked for me - or you use tomatoes so comprehensively lacking in taste that had I been blindfolded, I would have struggled to know what I was eating. But the cheese was yummy. 

The main course  - in my case a vegetarian pizza - somewhat saved the day. It was enormous and while the vegetables used in it made it a little watery, it was extremely tasty and so filling that it was to be six hours before I felt peckish again. The little dip things were rather nice, though the salsa was a bit hot. That heat was also applied to the dressing on the generous side salad and I did wonder if the only memory my mouth was going to have of this visit was of chilli. But actually no, there was enough going on to prevent the chilli dominating.

I didn't have a sweet, but I was given a complimentary square of a slightly oily baklava with the obligatory glass of tea. And that was quite enough really. For a starter and main and two cans of soft drink the bill came to £12.60, which I thought was quite reasonable. I think you'd probably pay the same for a manufactured meal at a chain, but I'd prefer this one. 

Marks out of 10 - at the moment 6. Get a bit slicker on the service, make one of the stews veggie, put some wine on the drinks list rather than just beer and spirits, oh and get a new tomato supplier and you might earn an 8. That said, I can quite see myself using the place when friends come round to lunch or when I next decide to treat myself. 

Someone placed a review online last year. It pretty much matches my experience. http://www.qype.co.uk/place/2225548-Devran-Restaurant-London 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service