Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

David Lammy has put his hat in the ring for the Labour Mayoral nomination alongside Christian Wolmar. See Guardian article here. He will step down as Tottenham MP if selected. I don't think that will happen but watch the bunfight over his very safe seat if it does.

Tags for Forum Posts: christianwolmar, davidlammy, mayor2016

Views: 907

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What do all you angry voters think of Eddie Izzard standing for mayor ?

Whilst venting spleen in public might do you guys some good therapy-wise, I feel harmed by what you post, and so should you. Helping this site become a place where hatred is normalised damages us - don't do it!

How do you think a person reading this might feel about standing up and being counted when people like those write near hate-speech about someone they don't know who did stand up? The atmosphere you are creating is oppressing gentle people who can expect to have these sorts of horrible, unwarranted things said about them - you seem to think of it as some sort of hobby.

I presume none of you have any real idea what the MP does, just some headlines.  I presume that few have ever spent more than a few minutes talking to him.  How many meetings does he attend? What do his staff do?  Which major bills has he been associated with?  Has he published anything? What do his colleagues think of him? What would a better MP do that he has not done?

We are much more focussed on MP's misconduct than we've ever been and there's no suggestion that this guy is doing or has ever done anything even remotely wrong. You accept, by living here, the system that allows an MP to conduct themselves as they see fit once elected - get over it, accept your responsibility or go and live elsewhere but please stop writing nasty stuff you would not dare utter if the person were facing you, you cowards.

I'd tell Lammy exactly what I think of him about advocating violence to children, his pathetic responses to the riots and to the Duggans.

That's your right Sharon but he is elected to make statements about issues and to try and legislate for them - that's what we pay him for.

Those who post such hateful things that violently attack his personality because they don't like what he stands for should be ashamed of themselves.

As an Elected MP I reckon he can take it on the chin.

Yes but if we stopped hating on public figures we'd get better ones. It demeans us to stoop so low - it leads us down a path where the hate-speech that Mary Beard attracted can happen. It stops 'normal' people from saying anything.  It prompts people to remain anonymous, exacerbating the problem.  It's just wrong.

By all means disagree with everything he stands for, but don't attack him for being a person - he's as fallible as any of us. There's no law saying an MP needs to be bright or clever or right - they're just people doing a job for us none of us want to do ourselves. Fix the problem, don't shoot the messenger.

We tried to stop him in the street to talk about vote rigging in the St Ann's selection meeting when he went to canvass there. He threatened to call the police, said this was not the place to talk about it and accused us of harassment. I'm afraid he lost my vote forever there and I've stuck by him through all the other crap and appreciate that he is a very good MP for Tottenham. No way do I want to see him or any of the other Labour politicians vying for the selection become Mayor though. I want to see Christian Wolmar as the Labour Mayor of London and I've put a lot of thought into that.

It is no coincidence that the police issued a Harassment Notice against me shortly after this. A person with power using a law for those with none should be ashamed of themselves.

John I feel your pain and it may be that he is a bad person but I honestly doubt it.  The whole political arena looks poisoned to me, lost in a sea of hubris that is what you get when men (it's mostly men) get together in this unequal, unfair world and carve up power whilst trying to escape responsibility.

I'm not defending the rightness or wrongness of Lammy's views or actions - I don't know enough about them or him. All I'm saying is that we must not let nasty personal accusations proliferate.  What we need is effective action to get us the changes we want to see.  It's hard to do that but it's about winning,.  At the mo, he's got all the pies.

To me the first thing you want in a democratically elected representative is a healthy respect for democracy itself. He failed there. It's not just one failing amongst a lot of things right.

>> a healthy respect for democracy itself

Nowhere in the contract - he doesn't have to do that. How you can write this stuff amazes me - you're one of the brightest people I know round here.  

How do you quantify a person's 'respect for democracy' without having interviewed them extensively on a whole range of topics and charted their life experience?

You will say, 'Oh well, he said this or he voted that way but that's so superficial it's almost a parody of your undoubted analytic skills.

It's quantifiable, a matter of opinion. You're making judgement calls on an unquantifiable notion - risk alert 

I think you underestimate the level of sophistication and information possessed by the posters here. It is only people who are aware of Lammy's history and attitude that hate him! He supports Israel's attack on Gaza; he supported the Iraq war and opposed the inquiry into it; he agrees with Austerity as carried out by the current regime, and his recent pronouncements on housing, notably omit any support for building more council houses. I could go on, but perhaps YOU might suggest something that makes him worth voting for?

Nobody should hate him - that's what's wrong.  Those who hate are attacking all of us - hatred is the cause of real evil. You have to actively support his right to do what he does. You have no right to do anything other than disagree and try to make your case.  The truth is that his opinion matters - yours doesn't. That's the way our society works. Hating on his views is hating on all of us.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service