Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The following from the LCSP:

As you know, local residents fought an excellent campaign to oppose the opening of an Adult Gaming Centre in Green Lanes. The Council supported us by refusing licensing and planning permission, but unfortunately both of these decisions were overturned on appeal. This means that Agora Leisure have the right to open their premises.

However, they have now put in an application to vary their licence, meaning that the premises would be divided into 3 units. The sole reason for this is to increase the number of the most addictive and profitable gaming machines, which offer £500 prizes for a £1 stake. The law only allows 4 per premises, but by dividing up the site into 3 small units they will end up with 12 of these machines.

This is a totally cynical and calculated move, which was no doubt part of their plan from the outset. We actually stand a very good chance of resisting this, and the Council is on our side from the start. However, as local residents we do need to show the strength of our opposition, so please sign the online petition by 30 November which will help us to ensure that our case is as strong as possible.

If you would like to make an individual representation direct to the Council, go to the Planning and Licensing page on this site, in the Licensing section, you'll see links for viewing licensing applications and instructions on making representation.

Also have a look at Bushy's related post here

Tags for Forum Posts: 48 grand parade, agora, betting shops, fobts, gambling

Views: 212

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This was a licensing decision. :o)
Yes okay, smarty pants :)
My point was that certain developers seem to believe that abiding by council decisions is optional, be they licensing, planning or enforcing and they should not be under the impression that no one cares round here about what they do.
I recognise that I was in extreme danger of looking like a smarty pants. Hence the smiley. But I mentioned it because the recourse may be different and I didn't want folks going off in wrong directions.
Well yes okay take your point, but we have both planning and licensing issues to keep an eye on with these people.

The permission to undertake restructuring to house more terminals went to Licensing and we have to ensure that they won't continue with those plans, despite the decision announced today.

The other issue, the late opening and the open doors contravenes the conditions laid down in granting them planning permission. This is the issue flagged up by the GRA and which involves writing to planning enforcement.

Basically, having Agora in the street is a right pain in the smarty pants but fortunately we have people who are prepared to keep an eye on their activities as evidenced by Bushey's offer below to go in and take a look at the number of machines for example.
Excuse my spelling in the original. Of course I meant:

Good news on this one - Daliah at Licensing is just about to write out to anyone who objected to let us all know that the application was refused. Whether that's an end to the matter we'll have to see.
Hugh,
When I lived off Green Lanes there were a couple of knifing incidents. I was told by people from the local community that fights only ensued on two topics: women and gambling and that the knifings were all gambling related.
Has anyone mentioned this? Not being a local resident any longer I can't do so, but anyone who cares to can share this with anyone they wish.
Best of luck, and not in a gambling kind of way,
Jack(ie) LEEVERS ex-resident of Warwick Gardens though my heart if still with you all. =;-)
Surely this lot are not allowed to keep their doors open either? Who can I report their open doors to? I do not want to see their tacky lights, horrid carpet and generally s**tty machines. They're lucky they had not had a brick through their windows!
Cheap, tatty, nasty.. grrr!
Several people have said to me about the doors being open during the day & night - we are in the process of finding out what their licence hours are.On Saturday night it was open at 1am when someone walked past - has any one any idea what times they are suposed to open and close?
I went past about 1/2 an hour ago and the doors were closed ? Again I assume the doors should be closed if its for over 18's

Andy
Hi Andy,

The key conditions imposed by the planning inspectorate are

1. A soundproofing scheme has to be submitted and approved (which includes self-closing entrance and exit doors).

2. A shopfront has to be installed which (and I quote) "at all times has a display of goods available for purchase on the premises by members of the public". No idea what this is about; maybe to make it look like a shop and not a gaming centre? Can't wait to see what classy items will be on sale.

3. Provision of private external area for smokers

4. Installation of CCTV

5. 'Only' open between 09.00 and 23.00.

Reposted from this discussion
See also Hugh's posting on the GRA objection sent to Robin Payne
I went past at 8am this morning and the door was open too. With balloons tied to the door. Hey school kids, come on in. . . Is is just operating 24 hours?!

Also, does anyone actually know what a fixed odds machine looks like? I ask because I'd be keen to know what differentiates them in look from any other gambling machine. I haven't been inside, but I'm willing to bet they've got more than 4 terminals in. But even if I wandered in to take a look (which I don't mind doing), how would I know? And how well policed are these things by the licensing department.

We need to let these people know we will not allow them one slip-up in the terms of their licence.
Here's the official notification:
Attachments:
And I hope the petition was a significant factor in the final decision making of this application. Of course, it sounds like this matter isn't at an end as they can still re-submit the planning application if they meet certain conditions. Would any breaches of their license count against them in the future? Stay vigilant Harringay.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service