Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Estate agents (Prickett & Ellis of Crouch End - where else) have now given the name "Crouch End Heights" to the north (higher) part of Stapleton Hall Road.  See the attached.  The property in question at 194 is just down the road from Quernmore Road.  What next Finsbury Park village?.  There was an attempt at Stroud Green Village, but this came to nothing.

Do advertising standards authority rules on advertising apply to estate agents?  Just think there might be some person somewhere who might be taken in by the “posh” address.  Note that reference is made to the shops in Crouch End - only 15 minutes walk (more like 20), however no mention that the Green Lanes shops are just five minutes walk away and Stroud Green Road only ten minutes walk. Suppose that they aren’t good enough.
The box on the roof - now there’s a story.  Way back in 1987 one weekend, a demolition crew came in and stripped the pitched roof off the house and built the box as a part of a roof extension.  A complaint was made to Haringey Council who ordered the pitched roof replaced.  The builders ignored this and appealed, in the end Thatcher’s Secretary of State for the Environment Nicholas Ridley allowed this piece of vandalism.  And then, to add insult to injury the good red brick work was painted.
The middle flat was sold about four months ago and has been lying empty ever since - why?
Konrad
Crouch End Heights resident

Views: 2844

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No-one will want to live anywhere but SoTo soon.

And of course, because of the N4/N8 split, the Ladder neatly becomes SoWar and NoWar. You can almost hear it now. "A charming 1 bed NoWar apartment, £450,000"
Or as Yasser Halim is at the epicentre of the Ladder/not the Ladder split, East YaHa and West YaHa.

It's been interesting reading through this thread. Good points Hugh about neighbourhoods being as people define them and nothing to do with administrative boundaries. I absolutely agree. Also very valid that they can overlap and are fluid over time, they're not fixed interlocking jigsaw pieces. I shouldn't have said that the London neighbourhoods map would end at the boundaries of the boroughs (I was just thinking of where London ends, which is tricky to define).

But on reflection of all these points, I still think an online map of London's (or the UK's) neighbourhoods would be a great resource and a really interesting project. I certainly don't think it sounds fascistic to be interested in that goal (we can argue the toss about it over a couple of pints next time we're in the pub John!), quite the opposite really, as the map would be 'designed by the people' and would show neighbourhoods as residents actually see them, not as defined by government bodies or anyone else's imposition. Everyone deserves a neighbourhood!

Basically, in the most simple case, people could simply be asked their address and what neighbourhood (or neighbourhoods?) they consider that they live in. This data could then be represented in a map and in other infographics, so everyone could see the neighbourhoods as described by the people who live in them. The neighbourhood blobs could of course overlap and as for fluidity, well, like a census, it could be repeated and updated every ten years!

Anyway, I'd love to see that and I'm sure all sorts of uses would come out of it.

I really like the idea Hugo. If people just gave a postcode it would work and be sufficiently anonymous. However, it would need someone who has access to decent GIS software and who knows how to use it. I used MapInfo about 10 years ago and while I can use the front end to generate maps with someone holding my hand I have no idea how to I input and order the data. It could overlay an "official" map to see if people actually take any notice of the names the places they are told they live in.
Also, in relation to my post about my home town, age banding the results might also give an interesting insight into how the sense of where people live has changed over time, though that might be a little ambitious.
Post grad students out there? I can see a thesis coming on.

Sorry, I didn't respond to what you wrote about a London neighbourhoods map, Hugo. Yes, I think a London Neighbourhood map is a great idea. It's an online version of what I did with Harringay a few years back.

It's pretty easy to do if you get postcodes and the single piece of data - the answer to where do you live.

Below is a map I've just generated in about 3 minutes using about 400 randomly grabbed post codes from the HoL membership list.

It would be feasible by giving it a stab with Haringey or, say postcodes, N4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 17. Doing it online would have a certain amount of credence, but to be more than a bit better than merely amusant, it would probably need foot work too.

Great idea but I (maybe not the only one) find these little blue indicators (I guess they have a technical name??) unhelpful because there are far too many clustered in the same spot and you often can't click on the the one you want.

I think a map of this sort would be a stage on the journey. It's the output of batch geocoding postcodes. It would be used to discern neighbourhood boundary shapes and be the basis for creating a much more attractive map. The data would still exist for further analysis if required.

I've just gone back and looked at the links you posted Hugh - This isn't Green Lanes and This isn't Dalston. Very interesting and lots of common ground with this potential project.

As you said Michael, this is a classic case for a postgrad study, particularly as it would obviously need lots of legwork as well as online subsimmions, as you said Hugh. I also really like your idea of capturing age data too Michael, to see how the perceptions of the neighbourhoods have changed over time. The equally valid counter to that is simplicity - just asking one question "what neighbourhood do you live in" is very appealing. I prefer that question to "where do you live" Hugh, as the latter question has no concept of scale, so people living in my street could well answer Pemberton Road, Harringay, North London, London, etc, or even worse they could answer administratively (Haringey etc). Consequently I reckon asking what neighbourhood you live in would largely negate those potential problems, problems which you may or may not have encountered in your previous survey Hugh. But this probably isn't the place to work out the details of a project that may or may not ever happen!

For clarity my use of the phrase 'where do you live' was a loose reference to the general question rather a suggested wording - and yes, for all sorts of reasons it would be useless phrasing.

In my last survey, because I was on the ground, I think the question was appropriate and generated a very small range of answers, showing, I think, that it was overwhelmingly understood in the way I had intended.

As you probably know, Hugo, finding a refining a research question is essential for successful research. The fact that people could and do give different complementary answers shows that they understand intuitively that the onions' layers are  the onion.

Trying to draw a single summary answer from a more or less complex reply seems to be unhelpful and possibly failing to listen carefully enough.

That's precisely what we did in Stroud Green. Check out the submissions map: 

http://batchgeo.com/map/stroudgreensurvey

It's worth zooming in and out a bit to see the granular detail. Lots of the markers indicate multiple submissions.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service